UA 916 Met by Law Enforcement in SFO

Old Jan 3, 19, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

UA 916 Met by Law Enforcement in SFO

Does anyone know the details on why UA 916 (AKL-SFO) was met at the gate by law enforcement on 3 January 2019, upon arrival in SFO? There was no major commotion on board, maybe it was a minor dispute? Saw one passenger who was led off writing a statement in the sterile corridor, not detained or anything though.

Update: flight attendant said there was a "brouhaha while everyone was sleeping", but I was up all night not too far away and didn't notice which makes me think it was on the less serious side (especially since the questioned were in the public corridor). Airport police, not USCBP, met the plane.

Last edited by seakrait; Feb 5, 19 at 10:57 pm
Old Jan 3, 19, 4:51 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion, UA Gold, Stariott Plat., HH Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Since it's an international flight, might be US CBP alerted to one with an outstanding warrant or their systems flagged someone.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Someone asked for their pajamas too early.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
By "law enforcement" do you mean CBP or airport police? CBP sometimes meets international flights for any number of reasons: someone on board with an arrest warrant (as someone already mentioned), or sometimes just randomly. CBP has almost unlimited authority to question and/or search the documents, belongings, and persons of inbound international passengers, even if there's no particular suspicion. If it was local law enforcement, then there would have to be a reason for them to be there.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It could be anything from a routine random show of force to a specific individual identified as a risk.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
Does anyone know the details on why UA 916 (AKL-SFO) was met at the gate by law enforcement on 3 January 2019, upon arrival in SFO? There was no major commotion on board, maybe it was a minor dispute? Saw one passenger who was led off writing a statement in the sterile corridor, not detained or anything though.
It could be many things. We've been held at the gate while law enforcement boarded the plane and led someone off, which sounds like what happened, but then they are usually hustled away and not talked to in any place you'd see. We've also had to wait while a sick passenger was taken off first, but that wouldn't explain what you saw. We've also been stopped just beyond the plane door for a passport check, and assume they were looking for some individual that they needed to question/detain.

I don't think is was a prisoner being transported (which we've also had) but they're usually left on the plane and offloaded last.

If not the pajamas, maybe the person got into a scuffle after asking for a mattress pad?
TXJeepGuy and roberto99 like this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I am pretty tolerant but I recently sat next to a belligerent drunk who upon arrival at SFO was meet by a ridiculous number of SFPD and "airport police" and arrested him as he exited the jet way. At baggage claim it was pretty funny everybody thought he was "my buddy" and gave me condolences.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:55 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Could be a diplomat as well
Old Jan 4, 19, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
Could be a diplomat as well
I doubt a diplomat or other VIP would me signing something in the sterile area - they'd be whisked away.
Old Jan 4, 19, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
A few years ago on a flight ICN - SFO in Y, we stopped just short of the gate and the captain came on and asked everyone to "remain seated for a few minutes while an onboard issue is resolved" and "if anyone wanted to give a statement United would take care of rebooking tight connections."

I sat next to a deadheading FA from that same flight on my connection, she said it was a PAX who was cut off from drinking halfway through the flight and ended up getting "testy" with the FA. They moved a FAM to sit next to him the remaineder of the flight and detained him on landing.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by scracer14 View Post
it was a PAX who was cut off from drinking halfway through the flight and ended up getting "testy" with the FA. They moved a FAM to sit next to him the remaineder of the flight and detained him on landing.
I tell ya, putting my family to sit next to the guy would have been punishment enough, even without detaining him on landing.

Oh, wait, that's probably not what you meant!
nomad420 and AirMiles2001 like this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant View Post
I tell ya, putting my family to sit next to the guy would have been punishment enough, even without detaining him on landing.

Oh, wait, that's probably not what you meant!
Now that's funny!!! LOL
Old Jan 4, 19, 5:13 pm

Someone pushed the call button twice.
Old Jan 4, 19, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL 1.6MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Someone must have said Hi Jack to a colleague in the pointy end.
Old Jan 5, 19, 12:51 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
I am pretty tolerant but I recently sat next to a belligerent drunk who upon arrival at SFO was meet by a ridiculous number of SFPD and "airport police" and arrested him as he exited the jet way. At baggage claim it was pretty funny everybody thought he was "my buddy" and gave me condolences.
about 10 years ago, I got on a CO flight IAH-SFO, and my cowboy seatmate in F was already two sheets to the wind. He was connecting to a night flight to TPE. Anyway, the FA cut him off after a few drinks, and he decided to get up and help himself, was told to sit down, then got up about 15 minutes later to try again. I and another passenger suggested this was not a good idea, and he told us to but out. At which point we forcibly seated him in 1B while the FA went and got the plastic cuffs. He then fell asleep with the cuffs on next to me (the flight was full). Needless to say the SFPD woke him up, and off the plane he went first....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: