Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yeah, but hopefully you saw the ads for the credit cards?!? I am not going to put this back on until I am absolutely forced to. The screen is my real estate not theirs. Almost 50% of my screen has that "just for you" nonsense that is anything "just for me". I get ads in apps, I really do. If I install a "free", for example, blackjack app, I know that I will get ads - I don't have a problem with that in the slightest but they still manage to do it in a very unintrusive manner in most cases with a small banner at the bottom of the screen, or an entire ad page that I can dismiss and that at some stage in the future will come back, dismiss, rinse and repeat. I get ads I really do.

What I do not get is that the fundamental purpose of a flying app is to make my journey simpler and a lot less stress free - I've already given them money for the ticket for goodness sake, now stop trying to squeeze the bone dry with your juvenile approach to "oooh, let's make it really big and they will buy it". I actually couldn't care less if they are selling a gazillion credit cards - stop it with the screen invasion, it's juvenile and is absolutely down there with the easyjet and ryanair school of selling. I currently have something that was best of breed as far as all other airline apps went and some twat with a "reimagine" session with some blue sky thinking has destroyed it totally. It was simple, effective, intuitive (yes a few rough edges) but 100% functional. That fact that people are having to come here to get an understanding of where/how/when/why says a lot for this reimagined POS. It's such a massive step backwards.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I think there is some differences in how the "ads" appear -- this may be related to the actual phone, screen format -- Below is my Samsung S6 (android) and the ads are nowhere the 1/3 or 1/2 of the screen that others are relating most are actually "below the fold". And when on a trip, the ads are basically gone. So this dissatisfaction might be related to the actual phone -- might be useful report the phone along with the dissatisfaction

Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:18 pm

I only see the very very top of the “Just For You” icons. I have to scroll down to actually see what they are and the 2 that are visible once I scroll down are for MileagePlus X which i use regularly and the other is to find a United club location. I’d hardly call these ads. The other icon that is visible is my Mile Play offer and status. None of these interefere with any function of the app since they only appear on the home screen.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I love how the exclusive offer to buy up status is on the home page, easy to see. Wonder if anybody actually does this. They want $1,500 for me to upgrade from gold to platinum. No way! I could do a lot of damage on a vacation for $1,500!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So, noticed a change with the new app and Farelock reservations. It's been a while since I used Farelock, probably a year or more, so haven't experienced it in the new app.

In the old app, the fare locked itinerary would show in the regular trips section, with a countdown clock until it expired (well, IME, that clock only showed up sometimes, and seemed to be missing at other times, but presumably it was always supposed to be there. So I was surprised to see nothing in My Trips when I looked for it. Instead, it appears on the home screen, between the MP summary box and the card ad (at least that I'm seeing right now) - in fact, it pushes the card ad completely off the screen, Has the forelock logo, and then itinerary info, with a blue line of text at the bottom indicating the expiry time. You still can't purchase in the app, it tells you still to go to the full United.com to do so.

On another note, flew a couple of weeks ago for the first time with the new app, and IMO, it is fantastic for travel day. Love all the relevant info. based where you are, before boarding, on board, etc. I did notice, as someone mentioned upthread, that connection time is listed based on originally scheduled time, and doesn't take into account delays (which I had), but at least it clearly denotes 'scheduled' connection time.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Boarding passes in the new app now show updated boarding times, not those made irrelevant an hour ago by weather or irrops. When did that update go in?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Boarding passes in the new app now show updated boarding times, not those made irrelevant an hour ago by weather or irrops. When did that update go in?
I noticed this a week or 2 ago. Have not experienced enough IRROPS to validate how consistent it is. I guess that is a good thing
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think there is some differences in how the "ads" appear -- this may be related to the actual phone, screen format -- Below is my Samsung S6 (android) and the ads are nowhere the 1/3 or 1/2 of the screen that others are relating most are actually "below the fold". And when on a trip, the ads are basically gone. So this dissatisfaction might be related to the actual phone -- might be useful report the phone along with the dissatisfaction

The screenshot illustrates my problem with the app: 3/4 of the screen real estate is taken by a picture of Lombard street and the exclusive offer ad. Very wasteful.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FreFly
The screenshot illustrates my problem with the app: 3/4 of the screen real estate is taken by a picture of Lombard street and the exclusive offer ad. Very wasteful.
Didn't the old app occupy that area with huge buttons and blank space? I'm not seeing a practical difference.
​​​
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Didn't the old app occupy that area with huge buttons and blank space? I'm not seeing a practical difference.
​​​
Big buttons but no blank space and no irrelevant ads. I just go straight into my trips and be done. I have a copy of the old apk if this advertising gets worse as I accidentally installed it on a new phone and quite honestly I just cannot be bothered to keep checking as to whether I update/install it or not. I quite like it apart from the home screen nonsense. I wish the push notifications were automatically on but I have to manually turn them on. Anyway, I shall stick with it due to laziness.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:24 pm
1BI

Accruals when booking through the app

Is it possible to see PQM/PQS/PQD accruals when booking through the UA app?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
During the booking process I can’t see it. I see value in it so it should be added to the enhancements list.

After booking yes. But I assume that’s not what you’re after.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
It is listed if you click on Details at each flight you are investigating
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:36 am
1BI

Originally Posted by shelby101
It is listed if you click on Details at each flight you are investigating
Are you referring to on the iOS/Android app or on the web? I agree that is the way through the web but I cannot figure out how to see it when booking through the iOS app.

When booking tickets on my phone, I find using the app much more stable than their website, especially when on UA’s WiFi for whatever reason. Their website barely loads when on their WiFi. But it is annoying not to get all functionality that the website gives you, unless I’m missing something.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Been using this app version for awhile now, and still don't like it.

Their intuitive home page box thing isn't very accurate. I would much prefer that information stays in the same place so I know where to look for it, rather than the app trying to guess what information I need.

The latest...Took me forever to find a Cathay confirmation number. Once checked in, apparently my usual way of going to "my trips --> additional information" isn't acceptably intuitive...eventual poking around to find it under "Trip details-->Manage Reservation-->Additional Information" is the only way to find it after checking in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.