Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by bigfins
Hi!
I’m brand new to this forum. Thanks for any help in advance!

Today I tried to book a ticket (SAN to SFO one way) for my college-aged son through my United app. I’ve done this numerous times in the past. But for whatever reason, today the App would not let me select a passenger (in my saved travelers) other than myself. I ended up having to go to my computer (instead of booking it on my phone) and book the ticket while not signed into my account.
Anyone run into this problem? Maybe a new bug in the App?
one thing that trips me up occasionally is that you have to deselect yourself before you can select anybody else on a one psgr itin.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes
You must not have any trips starting soon. When you have a trip coming, the marketing gets pushed down below the large panel that provides thumbnail information about it and buttons for quick access to check-in, trip details, and boarding passes. In that state, only a sliver of it was visible. I still managed to hit that instead of one of the bottom buttons once, but they're big enough that I doubt that's going to happen often.

On my phone the "Home", "Book", "My Trips", "Inbox", and "Flight Status" buttons at the bottom have labels that are just large enough for my not-very-good eyes to read. The bifocals on the new glasses I'm picking up tomorrow have a prescription change which will make them easier to read. But they have reasonably large and informative icons. I got used to the new layout and the navigation button positions in a very short while.

The new Trip Details screen is really well laid out, with one tab for each step of the trip. I'd encourage you to keep using the new app with an eye on the parts that are improved. You'll probably get used to it and, the marketing stuff aside, forget what you disliked about it very quickly.
I'm not sure about that. Here's an overlay of my (Android) screens with and without the during-travel card.

There's a very slight downward push, but not much. I think the larger determinant is phone OS and screen size.

Originally Posted by Kacee
My apologies if this is beating a dead horse, but this is what I see:

Note the prominence of the marketing, and how hard it is to discern the function tabs at the bottom of the screen.
I fully agree with your general point that the new app is primarily an obnoxious repackaging of the old app to add marketing, but personally I don't think it matters if the upsell list shows FOMO WiFi guy's full head or just his hair — both are equally bad. If anything, I'd prefer that they get the whole 'Just for you' panel on (or, even better, off!) screen, since it simply looks bad when clipped.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
It wouldn't be hard to make the navigation tabs at the bottom stand out better with a colored line, but it would cost a couple of pixels' worth of vertical real estate. I'm just not seeing their relative lack of prominence as a problem, though, because I've had no trouble managing them — and I do have very poor near vision. New glasses I'm picking up this evening will help a little!

I only get half the credit card ad when the during-travel card is visible. But since I don't react badly to the advertising, I doubt I'd feel differently if more of it was on screen. I can't ignore ads on TV or animated ads on web pages, but stationary ones are nearly invisible to me.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
It doesn't offend me that United has occupied temporarily unused space on the home screen with ads, so I don't focus on them.
I agree. And, with the exception of the credit card banner, the 'Just for You' ads vanish completely when the dynamic home screen tile takes over for an impending trip. (iOS 12, iPhone 8). I prefer this home screen over the last app, where half the central part of the screen was blue, with a (non-touchable) airplane.

I can't speak for those with larger fingers, color blindness, or poor eyesight, but I would suggest their feedback should be submitted to UA as they could certainly consider it for enhancements.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So I just got a new phone and in the process of reloading all my apps the new United one installed. I thought I would take a look at it but I am not on a trip. The ads are intrusive to me on the basis that they did not exist before and take over too much of the screen. Some implementations of ads are better than others and this is not one I like as it endures too much. I far prefer ones where I get a full screen then close it, then I am back to the app. I have the apk for the old app and will leave the new one on while I am deciding on the new phone and see what I think but first impressions aren't great for me.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:54 pm

Apologies if this has already been noted somewhere in the previous 31 pages amongst all of the complaining about a credit card ad ruining their lives, but I just noticed that the app still says I’m on board a flight that actually landed two days ago.

Slow updating of my travel status was something I noted for both my iPhone and iPad. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, Marriott Gold
So this is kind of hilarious - the app seems to hide the boarding pass option after the boarding time passes regardless of whether it not boarding has actually started.

​​​​​​At least I was able to remember my sequence number for the gate agent, wasn't able to find the boarding pass any other way. Not even the my trips tab listed it, which is kind of worrying.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by ajgarett
So this is kind of hilarious - the app seems to hide the boarding pass option after the boarding time passes regardless of whether it not boarding has actually started.

​​​​​​At least I was able to remember my sequence number for the gate agent, wasn't able to find the boarding pass any other way. Not even the my trips tab listed it, which is kind of worrying.
Have a look at this and see if it helps.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
KTN number

Can’t add KTN’s via the my trips/edit traveler information path...
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by ajgarett

I have the same problem, plus not being able to see boarding passes for subsequent segments - just the current segment. Have started saving the pass to my Google wallet and screenshoting it as well, but it's still disconcerting.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
I have the same problem, plus not being able to see boarding passes for subsequent segments ....
When you are in progress or about to start a trip -- the screen will show you present segment -- touch "Trip Details" (Not "My Trips") to see other segments and their BPs.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When you are in progress or about to start a trip -- the screen will show you present segment -- touch "Trip Details" (Not "My Trips") to see other segments and their BPs.
Actually “my trips” works while in travel on an itinerary. It shows blue boxes you tap to get the various BPs. You can get the earlier BP as well (ie after it disappears from home screen during boarding).

I had to make multiple changes this weekend due to ORD snow delays and the app gets very high marks. I was able to rebook, change seats etc.

One improvement needed - on the layover cards in “trip details” it assumes prior flight came in on time so the connection time info is erroneous. Needs to be a live card that adjusts with the flow.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
The app didn't notify me when my GPU cleared yesterday, sometime in the last hour or so before my flight. Does it just not do that? (I also didn't get an e-mail about the upgrade clearing.)
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The flight status card, and boarding pass show 9:30 boarding for ZRH-EWR. However, on the main screen of the app it says 9:20 AM. Just seems odd.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by DCA writer
The app didn't notify me when my GPU cleared yesterday, sometime in the last hour or so before my flight. Does it just not do that? (I also didn't get an e-mail about the upgrade clearing.)
From my experience lack of communication be it via app or email on Premier Upgrades is common. Once I received a notification my CPU cleared 2 days after I took the flight!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.