Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ajGoes
You must not have any trips starting soon.
I know how the app works. I currently have 7 active itineraries, including a departure on Friday, all of which I babysit using the app. It's annoying as heck right now. The fact that the home screen will change at some point on Thursday doesn't make that any better at all. I don't understand why people defend UA's destruction of a perfectly fine interface so they can cram more marketing down our throats.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Still using the old App on my Android and very happy
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't understand why people defend UA's destruction of a perfectly fine interface so they can cram more marketing down our throats.
I just don't see the ads as intrusive. They aren't animated and they disappear when there's important stuff coming up. The other improvements are significant. I don't think the old app was particularly well designed, but for experienced users, it does offer the benefit of being familiar. I think new users will find the new app much superior.

One feature I discovered and appreciated on my most recent trip was the animated map providing directions from gate to gate during a connection. It's infinitely better than the static terminal maps (which are still available). I've just popped up one of the static maps and I see it has directions available if you enter starting and ending points. I suppose this was available on the old app, but I never noticed it; it failed the "discoverability" test in user-interface design for me. Now, when you're in a Layover tab of the Trip Details window*, you can tap a link to get the directions map pre-loaded with your landing and departure gates.

*This is not the Reservation Details window which is carried over from the old app.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just don't see the ads as intrusive.
My apologies if this is beating a dead horse, but this is what I see:

Note the prominence of the marketing, and how hard it is to discern the function tabs at the bottom of the screen.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:56 am

Note the prominence of the marketing, and how hard it is to discern the function tabs at the bottom of the screen.
Looks like your phone has about the same resolution as mine my screen looks almost identical. All I can suggest is that you ignore the ads and note the helpful icons on the navigation buttons at the bottom. And watch your blood pressure when, as will probably happen sooner or later, you accidentally tap one of ads. When you do, a single tap of my phone's Back button returns me to the home screen. I'm not an iPhone user but I think they have an equivalent way to go back.

I'm a software developer and I've often observed that people focus on whatever is less ideal in an update, often missing whatever improvements come along with it. This is a natural aspect of being human. It doesn't offend me that United has occupied temporarily unused space on the home screen with ads, so I don't focus on them.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:03 am

It doesn't offend me that United has occupied temporarily unused space on the home screen with ads, so I don't focus on them.
You may find that if your eyesight declines with age (as mine has), these kinds of changes will have a materially negative effect on your ability to navigate the home page, particularly in low light situations. None of your commentary changes that very basic fact for me.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:12 am

You may find that if your eyesight declines with age (as mine has), these kinds of changes will have a materially negative effect on your ability to navigate the home page, particularly in low light situations. None of your commentary changes that very basic fact for me.
My eyes have deteriorated pretty significantly, so I understand the problem. My Android phone has a simple magnification option (disabled by default). You might want to try the iPhone equivalent. I know it's galling to have to use a workaround, but you might find this quite useful for a variety of tasks. My phone zooms with a triple tap; apparently it's a single three-finger tap on the iPhone. It's a nice feature which I use fairly often to compensate for another marketing-driven design choice: the curved screen edges on my Pixel 2XL. Checkboxes at the edges of the screen often don't respond to a tap; if I magnify the screen, they expand into the sensitive area. I also occasionally use it to blow up tiny text, though I have my phone set to a larger-than-standard font. This causes its own issues in some apps, including the old United one, by spoiling some screen layouts.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:21 am

Not happy with the disappearing boarding passes in the new app. First trip on new app. Single segment worked ok, return connection would only show first segment pass and it kept disappearing. Could get it to come back by goiong to check-in page and seeing the "you are already checked in" message. Then after boarding, pass for flight I was on dissapeared and it would only show connection.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:20 pm

United Airlines App booking a different passenger

Hi!
Im brand new to this forum. Thanks for any help in advance!

Today I tried to book a ticket (SAN to SFO one way) for my college-aged son through my United app. Ive done this numerous times in the past. But for whatever reason, today the App would not let me select a passenger (in my saved travelers) other than myself. I ended up having to go to my computer (instead of booking it on my phone) and book the ticket while not signed into my account.
Anyone run into this problem? Maybe a new bug in the App?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bigfins
Hi!
Im brand new to this forum. Thanks for any help in advance!

Today I tried to book a ticket (SAN to SFO one way) for my college-aged son through my United app. Ive done this numerous times in the past. But for whatever reason, today the App would not let me select a passenger (in my saved travelers) other than myself. I ended up having to go to my computer (instead of booking it on my phone) and book the ticket while not signed into my account.
Anyone run into this problem? Maybe a new bug in the App?
Could you not book it on the computer while signed in? I haven't tried on the app since the new app came out, but I haven't had any issues booking for others while signed in to online, using my saved travelers.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:33 pm

I was on a new computer and didnt have my login info handy. I was trying to book the ticket before it sold out (several other times for that day had already sold out).
So when it wasnt working on the app, I was getting a bit frantic.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigfins
I was on a new computer and didnt have my login info handy. I was trying to book the ticket before it sold out (several other times for that day had already sold out).
So when it wasnt working on the app, I was getting a bit frantic.
Did you try closing the app (show all open apps, then swipe up or to side as appropriate for your phone) and restarting it?

I haven't booked in the app, so not specifically sure about the problem you had, but with the new app I have noticed a mix of random unresponsiveness and strange display problems when I've been using the it for a while. These are resolved if closed and reopened.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
in the ios app (and perhaps android as well), you have to de-select your name in the list of saved travelers in order to select someone else. its not intuitive, and simply a poor design.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton
in the ios app (and perhaps android as well), you have to de-select your name in the list of saved travelers in order to select someone else. its not intuitive, and simply a poor design.
Same for android, and same conclusion - it's poor design. When you click "other travelers", it should deselect you automatically. If you close back to just you without selecting another traveler, it should select you again.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jayzala
Are you on Android or iOS? This has happened to me for all of my trips since the new app has launched, it's at least 2 minutes after that I can check in on the app.
I use iOS. I have an Android device I can try this on as well but it's not with me on the current trip so that will have to wait until next week.

Originally Posted by fumje
Not to nitpick, but I think 'Travel Options' only shows up (on the home screen card) after you've checked in, while 'Trip Details' does show up a few days prior and stays there until a while after the trip is done. So I imagine you meant 'Trip Details' was showing when 'Check In' popped up?
Keen eye. I believe that's correct. Trip Options is only after check-in.

-RM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.