Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
The new app is a disaster. User experience doesn't matter - it's all about the upsell. What I really don't appreciate are all the service cuts that have been made in order to pay for this project.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I'm seeing 1x70lbs as a silver on a domestic reservation.

I think the design of the new Trip Details screens is outstanding. There's one tab for each leg and layover, with prominent links to the most needed information.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I'm seeing 1x70lbs as a silver on a domestic reservation.

I think the design of the new Trip Details screens is outstanding. There's one tab for each leg and layover, with prominent links to the most needed information.
United changed their Premier Silver complementary checked bag benefit. From 1x50lbs to 1x70lbs on September 28, 2018.

MileagePlus Updates
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Anyone else have an issue at T-24H with check in on the app? Let's say my flight is at 7:30PM, so I would like to check in 24 hours before at 7:30PM. I've found that the app doesn't let me check in, until like 7:32PM even after I constantly keep refreshing. Seems like an issue, so I always have to check in on my computer now.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jayzala
Anyone else have an issue at T-24H with check in on the app? Let's say my flight is at 7:30PM, so I would like to check in 24 hours before at 7:30PM. I've found that the app doesn't let me check in, until like 7:32PM even after I constantly keep refreshing. Seems like an issue, so I always have to check in on my computer now.
Not at all. In fact today I was looking at the home screen of the app right at 12n when OLCI would open for my flight. The "card" on the home screen only had "Trip Options" appearing. After about 30 seconds (before the clock on my phone read 12:01), the "Check In" button appeared automatically as well. Could just be your phone was slow to update the data in the app.

-RM
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:46 pm

A couple minutes difference between what your phone says and what UA's servers say is quite common. Consider the fact that most cellphones grab the time from the cellular network which in and of itself can be off by a little bit, factor in the imprecise way consumer electronics calculate time and the latency between you sending the OLCI request and the server receiving your request and yeah it's very possible that at 7:31 PM it may only be 7:29 PM on the server side when it receives your request.

OTOH if you were to tell me, I tried checking in at 8 PM and it wouldn't let me check in, then yeah that's a bug with the app! I'm hoping that UA fixes the Canadian passport bug on the mobile app (namely that Canadians can't check in to outside NA flights to the US using the mobile app would always need to OLCI from the desktop).

-James
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Yep, I noticed the check in option doesn’t show up right away at T-24, but I can check in by going to the Check In option and entering the PNR
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Not at all. In fact today I was looking at the home screen of the app right at 12n when OLCI would open for my flight. The "card" on the home screen only had "Trip Options" appearing. After about 30 seconds (before the clock on my phone read 12:01), the "Check In" button appeared automatically as well. Could just be your phone was slow to update the data in the app.

-RM
Are you on Android or iOS? This has happened to me for all of my trips since the new app has launched, it's at least 2 minutes after that I can check in on the app.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had the check in button both show up and not show up on time, but I've not noticed a pattern of the delay when it happens. However, I think that when it has not shown up on time, I have been able to flip over to the 'My Trips' list and tap the reservation, and it gave me an option to initiate check in.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
Not to nitpick, but I think 'Travel Options' only shows up (on the home screen card) after you've checked in, while 'Trip Details' does show up a few days prior and stays there until a while after the trip is done. So I imagine you meant 'Trip Details' was showing when 'Check In' popped up?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I just noticed that the phone number is all messed up. It’s OK in my profile and UA has no problem finding me. In the App is shows up as (+1) 1xxx-xxx-xxxx
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I see the marketing has crept up. Now it's about the lower 40% of the home screen. The menu options at the very bottom are tiny and almost impossible for me to see/read. I continue to dislike this "enhancement" intensely.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:56 am

That happened to me on my first check-in with the new app. It also happened on recent check-ins with the old app, so I think the problem is in the back end, not in the app.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ajGoes
That happened to me on my first check-in with the new app. It also happened on recent check-ins with the old app, so I think the problem is in the back end, not in the app.
Yes, that's been the case with the app forever.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I see the marketing has crept up. Now it's about the lower 40% of the home screen. The menu options at the very bottom are tiny and almost impossible for me to see/read. I continue to dislike this "enhancement" intensely.
You must not have any trips starting soon. When you have a trip coming, the marketing gets pushed down below the large panel that provides thumbnail information about it and buttons for quick access to check-in, trip details, and boarding passes. In that state, only a sliver of it was visible. I still managed to hit that instead of one of the bottom buttons once, but they're big enough that I doubt that's going to happen often.

On my phone the "Home", "Book", "My Trips", "Inbox", and "Flight Status" buttons at the bottom have labels that are just large enough for my not-very-good eyes to read. The bifocals on the new glasses I'm picking up tomorrow have a prescription change which will make them easier to read. But they have reasonably large and informative icons. I got used to the new layout and the navigation button positions in a very short while.

The new Trip Details screen is really well laid out, with one tab for each step of the trip. I'd encourage you to keep using the new app with an eye on the parts that are improved. You'll probably get used to it and, the marketing stuff aside, forget what you disliked about it very quickly.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by milepig
I just noticed that the phone number is all messed up. It’s OK in my profile and UA has no problem finding me. In the App is shows up as (+1) 1xxx-xxx-xxxx
I don't see my phone number anywhere in the Android app. Where are you seeing this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.