Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Starman
Does the new app display current RPU/GPU balance anywhere?
Not that I can see. That's a good feature request, especially since the web home page hits you in the face with it!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 330
Totally disappointing and confusing app. The old app was way more intuitive (and by far, the best airline app)
I don't feel this way at all. The United app had buttons on the home screen, a drop-down menu in the upper right, another drop-down menu in the upper left, sometimes with items that had the exact same name but did different things.

Now the important stuff is right on the bottom row, and if it's not there there's one drop down in the upper-left.

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Other than a different home screen, the underlying app infrastructure appears to be the same... flight searches, flight status, etc. etc. etc. Nothing much new here it appears... at least the functionality that matters to me hasn't changed.
I haven't seen any loss in functionality either.

Originally Posted by TomMM

And other than being an excuse for a complaint, what’s the issue?
When you have a list of trips, it is a lot easier to read when all items are the same number of characters, aka airport codes. When you use full English words, things no longer align anymore and it's more work to find what you're looking for when scrolling down the list.

Originally Posted by FLLUAFlyer
I checked in, but the card on the Home screen still says "Ready for Check-In", even after refreshing, closing/opening app.
This was a problem with the old app too.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
i hate how you can't scroll/swipe right to go back to the previous page / close an open screen.

seriously!??!?! LOL. #firstworldproblems
Get rid of the iPhone and you can have a back button.

Originally Posted by BThumme
It would be nice if it showed up under the "MileagePlus (R) Summary" page. That seems logical to me.
Not showing your available instruments and their expirations is a definite miss. Would also be nice if you could apply them from within the app too. (And apply them anytime before they clear the upgrade list at the gate - feel like we're far enough along that they can prevent you from snagging R inventory if there's people on the UG list.)

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I agree. A simple workaround in recent Android versions is to use the Zoom feature. You have to enable magnification. With that done, a triple tap enlarges the card to a very legible width on my Pixel 2XL. Another triple tap un-zooms the screen.
I'm not seeing this issue - on my S9 I tap either my 1K or Club card and it pops up what I would expect to see on the back of a real card, including a *G logo on my 1K card. (No fronts, but nothing on them anyway.)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In my quick first glance, this was the most concerning thing I came across and the UC membership card does not have *A symbol.
Not sure why that matters? The UA Club card gets you into lounges that accept a UA club card. You get admittance to *A lounges with status, which is on your Mileage Plus card. There are *A lounges you can't get into with a Club card and (I'm pretty sure) vice versa.

My only current complaints:

- The "Upcoming Flight" widget on the main page when you're within 2 days should, in addition to "Trip Details", have a button to straight to "Manage REservarion".
- When looking at past trips, the trips are listed by origin and end of the first segment, not the ultimate destination. So all of my "EAU-ORD-(wherever)" flights are listed as "Eau Claire-Chicago". But given how little I'd use that page, and it didn't exist at all in the app before, meh.

Other nice adds I noticed:

- The "Contact Us" page breaks out numbers for different things and they are status-based.
- You can change how long it takes before you have to re-enter your Mileage Plus password to book with miles / look at your account. (Would be nice if I could choose 'never', or anything greater than 60 minutes, I've got all sorts of other security on my phone, don't need it in the app too.)
- You can check bag fees for flights

Last edited by raehl311; Jan 24, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lax01
As someone who manages apps (and multiple app versions in the wild), please don't do this...

Thanks
Why not? I have all “auto updates” turned off for my iPad. Home internet is satellite-based with monthly data caps on “high speed”. I prefer to manage my large downloads during the 2-8 am “bonus” period, which means no automatic downloads.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Polytonic
While we're at it, Membership/Club Passes could scroll vertically and be full size, rather than be tiny thumbnails that scroll horizontally, while 50% of my screen real estate is wasted.
I was hoping the seat map might have regained the landscape-mode view it lost a couple of years ago. Can't say I'm bitterly disappointed, but this is another area where it'd be nice to have the option available.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:24 pm

I actually like the new app so far. Definitely easier navigation - more items were buried in the hamburger menu before. The bar at the bottom allows for more direct access.

I am not traveling on UA for a few weeks, but will be interesting to see how the functionality differs then.

One other thing I noticed: both in the "Contact Us" section and when viewing the back of your status card, you can now tap the phone numbers to call. When viewing the card in the past, I recall you had to remember the number and dial it by hand, so that's a nice enhancement.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by kale73

Why not? I have all “auto updates” turned off for my iPad. Home internet is satellite-based with monthly data caps on “high speed”. I prefer to manage my large downloads during the 2-8 am “bonus” period, which means no automatic downloads.
Because generally, updates include important bug fixes and things that app developers want all users to consume - and it also allows developers to deprecate older features or services that they do not want consumers to use anymore

My point was more this - please update your apps and don't hold out on updates forever because you fear new changes and issues with app updates. As we've seen here with United, the app update wasn't as bad as everyone initially thought and I'm sure United wants people to update so they can deprecate older backends/services (my guess)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lax01
Because generally, updates include important bug fixes and things that app developers want all users to consume - and it also allows developers to deprecate older features or services that they do not want consumers to use anymore

My point was more this - please update your apps and don't hold out on updates forever because you fear new changes and issues with app updates. As we've seen here with United, the app update wasn't as bad as everyone initially thought and I'm sure United wants people to update so they can deprecate older backends/services (my guess)
Then they either need to optimize their code to prevent bloatware or compensate me for wasted bandwidth. I’ve too often downloaded a 100+ Mb “update” the day it was released only to be notified 1-2 days later that another 100+ Mb “update” is available to fix the bugs that came with the penultimate version. Apparently no one does “patches” anymore.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kale73
Then they either need to optimize their code to prevent bloatware or compensate me for wasted bandwidth. I’ve too often downloaded a 100+ Mb “update” the day it was released only to be notified 1-2 days later that another 100+ Mb “update” is available to fix the bugs that came with the penultimate version. Apparently no one does “patches” anymore.
I'm virtually certain that's not a mechanism app stores support, so it's not available to developers.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
THe App isn’t yet showing up in the store for me. I’m on 2.1.67

Is there now a way to send your BP to the Wallet from the checki I’m completed screen instead of having to go around the block twice?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by milepig
THe App isn’t yet showing up in the store for me. I’m on 2.1.67

Is there now a way to send your BP to the Wallet from the checki I’m completed screen instead of having to go around the block twice?
I'm not sure what you mean about "go around the block twice" -- under the old interface, as part of the check-in process, there was a "view boarding pass" option where the "Add to Wallet" prompt appeared. After that, you could hit the back button or swipe left and then scroll down to tap "Return to home screen" or something along those lines.

I'm not sure how the new flow works yet, as I have yet to fly using the new app. Presumably it's similar, as the new app mainly appears to be a visual/theme upgrade.

"Meet the new app; same as the old app."
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Does anyone know as yet if it automatically notifies you of any activity on the flight rather than having to set "push notifications" for flights?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure what you mean about "go around the block twice" -- under the old interface, as part of the check-in process, there was a "view boarding pass" option where the "Add to Wallet" prompt appeared. After that, you could hit the back button or swipe left and then scroll down to tap "Return to home screen" or something along those lines.

I'm not sure how the new flow works yet, as I have yet to fly using the new app. Presumably it's similar, as the new app mainly appears to be a visual/theme upgrade.

it’s an extra click after you already have to choose from 2 BP delivery options. Just put “add to wallet” there. Then , I think ( I don’t have a flight needing check in at the moment) it then isn’t on the screen,you first have to “show details” so that’s two extra steps.

Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Find/add reservation

Is this functionality available in the new app...

Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Presumably it's similar, as the new app mainly appears to be a visual/theme upgrade.

These comments tell me UA did a really good job of enhancing the app. The new menu structure is significantly different, but it's so well implemented that users don't notice the change.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I was responding to someone who wanted the front of the card blown up to show to agents at foreign alliance clubs.
Right, except a United Club card SHOULD NOT have a *G logo on it, and the elite card in the app does, so, no problem.

For example, *G gets you access to Lufthansa Senator lounges, but a United Club card does not.

So putting the *G logo on a United club card doesn't make sense. It's not a problem or bug, it just shouldn't be there.

Last edited by raehl311; Jan 24, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.