Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Do you mean like the rationalization of removing a Business Class F/A to match the lower number of F/As that AA/DL have? i.e. Aiming for the lowest common denominator rather than aiming to be better. After all, why have more functionality than DL or AA?
More online functionality means they can also reduce headcount of phone staff... LOL!!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CO FF
UA's website still haven't managed to match AA's ability to pre-order meals in premium cabins - which is a MAJOR positive for customer experience, IMO.
In all fairness, this isn't a website issue, the backend UA system and catering operations have no such capability.

Before you can add it to the website or app, the capability to provide the service must be in place.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dmurphynj

Old look
I must be old, but I actually prefer the older look to the United app. Put it back to the way it was 8 years ago and I’ll be perfectly happy.
I imagine there are quite a few left on this forum who wish UA would bring back United Connection from the early days of the web and they would be more than content.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by adambadam
I imagine there are quite a few left on this forum who wish UA would bring back United Connection from the early days of the web and they would be more than content.
Nah, if we’re going to wind the clock back, I’ll take Ask Alex for $100.

Ask Alex!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dmurphynj

Nah, if we’re going to wind the clock back, I’ll take Ask Alex for $100.

Ask Alex!
I do miss Mr. Sleazy Update and the Easy Chicken.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
To prevent going too far off topic, a length side discussion about ordering special meals today has been moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html

Let's get back speculating about the "new" UA smartphone app.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I guess we'll hear shortly from someone at this event?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by narvik
I guess we'll hear shortly from someone at this event?
Sadly, yes

But you did remind me to turn off "auto update" for the app!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
The UA app developers have already demonstrated their incompetence by the fact the latest version (2.1.63 Android/Kindle) released on November 2, 2018 does not function properly on Kindles - including in-flight streaming. An error message pops up advising the necessity to upgrade to the latest version of the app. Deleting and downloading does not solve the problem.

The app still appears in the Kindle store despite many complaints. Not a peep from the developer or Amazon - who still promote it.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
wow this is an amazing APP at United, other airlines apps suck. fingers crossed it gets better.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EWR764
I'm not in panic mode, yet. I've informally discussed the updated app and its beta concepts with some people "in the know" and when feedback was solicited, I wanted to make very clear that I strongly value the scope of self-service options UA offers as compared to the competition. I also took care to warn that FFers, as a group, would react very unfavorably to any loss of functionality. I was assured, at the time, that the plan was not to remove any existing functionality, including Expert Mode (which had recently been added to the booking path). I have cautious optimism here, but the proof will be in the pudding.

My understanding is that the "immersive" aspect comes from using more location-based services in the graphical presentation to users. For example, I don't necessarily need ready access to an "Entertainment" button when I'm home or at my office, nowhere near an airplane. Likewise, I'm much less apt to use the check-in function when none of my linked reservations have a departure time within 24h. That's about 10% of the app's full-time main screen real estate I would only use on day-of-travel, and, in the case of Entertainment, only for a limited portion thereof, not to mention the useless empty space in the middle occupied by a cropped image of perhaps the most boring airplane in the UAL fleet. There's also redundancy, as other users point out, between the left-hand menu, the swipe-able main screens, and the upper right reservations button.

For instance, on day-of-travel, all I really need to see is ready access to my boarding pass(es), flight status, the check-in utility (including after check-in for IRROPS management) and the entertainment app, maybe enabled only when I connect to the aircraft's wifi. I might also find some use in shortcuts to airport maps (that load faster/update more regularly) and my MP/UC cards in the case of some partner lounges which require a credential in addition to a BP. A streamlined interface prioritizing those items, while still providing some access to the rest of the app functions, such as by scrolling farther down or through a menu, would be welcome changes

I think the plan is to clean some of these things up, present more relevant tools to the user depending on where they are in the travel/sales cycle (booking, approaching travel, day of travel). as well as where they are physically, and harmonize the visuals between the app and the new website. I don't think there is going to be a rework of the backend, or any reductions in the range of self-service options available to travelers. That would cut against pretty much everything United has done from a tech standpoint over the last few years.
I hope that United's app designers put as much thought into the redesign as you did into this post. These are all good points and ideas. (Although I'd rather a cropped boring plane than another ad for the MP explorer card).
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:42 am

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Kind of looks like the Hilton App.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Not sure if I am lucky or not but I can absolutely track bags after I land with the app. I have to go into the reservation but I just did this on Wednesday. No problem at all tracking bags on the app after I land.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
its relatively new, but yes, you can do this now.

No manual anything needed anymore. It’s fairly recent - probably sometime in the fall - maybe Oct or so. But the itinerary doesn’t disappear anymore.

Up until a few few months ago, yes, it did disappear. The whole itinerary used to disappear once you boarded your last segment, which was a pain. But since they’ve changed this, itinerary seems to stay listed for a day or two after the last segment, eliminating the issue. Case in point, I know I used it on a trip in early December. But also I’m pretty sure on a precious trip in Oct. as well, maybe even Sept. too. It was annoying for sure (and a workaround was to re-add the PNR in the app after boarding the last segment - but don’t need that anymore).
I'm in Dawgman's camp (not just because of his taste in location). I had my reservation disappear over the weekend and had to add it back to track bags. I attributed it to a connection that was a redeye and assumed it got time zone confused somewhere along the way. That said, I prefer the mobile app over DL/AA/9W. (9W loves to send me advertising notifications) and often use the app to check flight status even when I'm sitting at my computer.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Kind of looks like the Hilton App.
That's exactly what I thought!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.