Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...)

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...)

Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Thanks for all the replies, I tried again after 30 minutes on the same device, the availability just showed up without me changing anything.
That might've been how long it took me to log out & in again. So maybe then it was coincidental, just needed time. Odd.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Agreed. The information is not intuitively presented.
Also agree, but I do appreciate the intent.

What I’d prefer is for a “Where is this plane?” selection taking to a different page that lists all the upcoming flights between present time and departure.

I can get this information in the same format on FlightAware once the tail # is known, but it would be easier if I could just see it in the UA app.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by econ
What I’d prefer is for a “Where is this plane?” selection taking to a different page that lists all the upcoming flights between present time and departure.
There was a recent update which does very close to what you want. I just noticed it yesterday.

"Where is my plane?" is displayed in a new format now and has a link to expand it back. Testing now, I was able to go back seven flights prior to the current one. Each one has a link to that flight's flight status page and they're all displayed on one screen.
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by LarryJ
There was a recent update which does very close to what you want. I just noticed it yesterday.

"Where is my plane?" is displayed in a new format now and has a link to expand it back. Testing now, I was able to go back seven flights prior to the current one. Each one has a link to that flight's flight status page and they're all displayed on one screen.
I think that's same one discussed the past few days. I don't mind it now that I'm more used to it, but there's still room for improvement. Better than what other carriers provide though.

What was throwing me off was the full city name displayed above the flight, but now I just ignore that. Also would prefer they would display both departure and arrival times.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Find my seat…

Has anyone seen the find my seat functionality promised earlier in the app?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ITA Executive
Noticed on the "trip details" page that the upgrade list button works, but when shown to the upgrade screen it is greyed out... shows no names or capacity info. just has the share button which shows general flight info.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by paine445
Noticed on the "trip details" page that the upgrade list button works, but when shown to the upgrade screen it is greyed out... shows no names or capacity info. just has the share button which shows general flight info.
Those details are provided at T-48 hours.

David
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by DELee

David
Yes, but it used to show the upgrade list if you went at it from your trip details page (the blue box with the picture of luggage on the front page). Regular upgrade list via flight status won't show until T-48/Two calendar days out but there was a little cut-through with the front page... will be patiently waiting instead an "You've been upgraded!" email or for T-48 Mainly waiting on PZ space....

Last edited by priobagtag; Feb 21, 2022 at 8:41 pm Reason: forgot to quote
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but it used to show the upgrade list if you went at it from your trip details page (the blue box with the picture of luggage on the front page). Regular upgrade list via flight status won't show until T-48/Two calendar days out but there was a little cut-through with the front page... will be patiently waiting instead an "You've been upgraded!" email or for T-48 Mainly waiting on PZ space....
Then it appears that hole has been closed.

David
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Recently on the app, looks like calendar day +2. Seems to be based on Eastern Time.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Recently on the app, looks like calendar day +2. Seems to be based on Eastern Time.
OK - hadn't had the patience to try and track as to when the window opens. Have been battling multiple versions of the app on different phones (different vintage Androids and iPhones). All have their own idiosyncrasies.

David
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If there is PZ space, you wouldn't need to wait, and can clear right into with PP.

Upgrade rhythm is not exactly in sync leading up to the flight. However, there should be a sweep at check-in (T-24). After that, you are likely headed to the mercy at the gate.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
If there is PZ space, you wouldn't need to wait, and can clear right into with PP.

Upgrade rhythm is not exactly in sync leading up to the flight. However, there should be a sweep at check-in (T-24). After that, you are likely headed to the mercy at the gate.
Already applied PP, no PZ space open. Also, trip details let me see the list 3 calendar days out, so disregard my previous messages... ~17 or so with 25 not booked. Pretty solid shot I'd say. Expecting T-24 clearing
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:11 pm

Saw this on Hacker News the other day and figured it was some version of a responsible disclosure, since the author mentioned starting the write up in Aug-2021 - though its not a vulnerability/security issue, so Im not sure if they ever submitted this to United - it does appear to be a huge oversight by the iOS team.

telkins.dev - How I Shaved 187MB Off United Airline's 439mb iOS App

>> Wow! I honestly wasn’t expecting that much of an improvement. We shaved 187MB off the app size in five minutes by stripping framework symbols. I bet there are some additional low-hanging fruit but I’ll stop short here.
Finally got around to checking if the iOS app was still 439mb or if they updated it and they haven't. Wanted to post it here in case someone sees it and, also, so the author gets credit if they decide to correct it and implement the standard procedure into their build process to make it easier for last minute downloads. Or, if anyone knows why they would intentional avoid doing so?

I have had more than one person seated next to me frantically search for and try to download the app after they're already onboard with the doors about to close. The smaller size would probably help get the app on more phones.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by random.parts
Saw this on Hacker News the other day and figured it was some version of a responsible disclosure, since the author mentioned starting the write up in Aug-2021 - though its not a vulnerability/security issue, so Im not sure if they ever submitted this to United - it does appear to be a huge oversight by the iOS team.

Finally got around to checking if the iOS app was still 439mb or if they updated it and they haven't. Wanted to post it here in case someone sees it and, also, so the author gets credit if they decide to correct it and implement the standard procedure into their build process to make it easier for last minute downloads. Or, if anyone knows why they would intentional avoid doing so?

I have had more than one person seated next to me frantically search for and try to download the app after they're already onboard with the doors about to close. The smaller size would probably help get the app on more phones.
Thanks for the post and it was an interesting read(bolding above is mine). I do have a question though about United. I know on Delta even after door closes and you are in the air you can still download their app thru DL WIFI for free. Does UA have this same capability? I thought all the big 3 had this option available when WiFi is turned on in the air you can download their individual apps...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.