Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Looks like the same waste of screen as the Hilton App.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Preview on United Hub:

https://hub.united.com/united-app-tr...625355292.html

Looks like some really good ideas. Hopefully implementation to match.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Preview on United Hub:

In that release,
Enlisting the help of over 500 participants during our research and discovery phase, the feedback we received helped to guide the design as well as app improvements. And
during the beta test phase, we expanded testing to include real users (we invited more than 1,000 employees and customers) to ensure the updates would drive the intended value. With 3,500 bookings created and 22,000 reservations viewed, we made sure the updates to the app were functional and helped to improve a user's overall experience.
--which seems to mean that perhaps several hundred customers have already been beta testing the new app. Which customers?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Yes the context/time aware customized stuff is good. Hopefully all the MP account history and flight seat maps and upgrade/standby lists stay at least as informative as it is now, if not more so.

Integrating Premier tracker in the app v having to log into another website would be good too.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
"Ready for check-in" on home screen: a feature right there that is useless to me as check-in won't be able to complete [for all my trips to China] without Visa verification at the airport anyway.
And the credit card ad is there of course, although not as bad as my previous example.

Not a good start to this version...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Code:
W             A              S              T              E

O    F

S             P              A              C              E

David
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Code:
W A S T E

O F

S P A C E

David
half the home screen on the current app is blank blue sky. Jus sayin
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

half the home screen on the current app is blank blue sky. Jus sayin
But based on the screen shots from hub.united.com, the same waste of space continues well beyond the home screen - that's what is the most scary vision of our collective app futures. The hub screenshot examples provided highlight a view that a traveler on UA only has 1 or 2 flights and/or PNRs to manage at any time.

I (and many on FT) are the frequent fliers: 10+ segments active over multiple days, 5+ PNRs, etc., juggling SDCs, flight status pages, upgrade options, researching additional flights (i.e. what flight options are available on which planes and seats). Wasting this space and forcing us to scroll to infinity to find and locate data will not only slow me down but potentially clog access points (security check points, UCs, gates) as people scroll and scroll to find a relevant link or boarding pass page.

The current My Account web page as well as each individual reservation/PNR web page are incredibly terrible examples of how to waste space. I truly hate spending the time scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and waiting for pages and screens to update.

Maximize information content/minimize network traffic - that should be their mantra. Instead UA and its developers have moved to crapify/wasted space approaches to the UIs on both on the app and the web.

David
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Preview on United Hub:

I read the phrase 'robust enhancements' in Jeff Smisek's voice and got PTSD.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
BTW, why do you think they're moving the absurd ad to the bottom of the screen? Because most of the taps will be at the bottom so you will have to see it even more than you do today at the top of the screen.

I almost never touch anything at the top of the screen except the folder icon to look at my itineraries. Everything else is done at the bottom like flight status or entertainment. And based on the screen shot they showed on hub.united, they will still have 'tabs' at the bottom of the screen that will be heavily used. So let's move the ad to the bottom where more people will see it.

Not saying this isn't a sound business move. Simply saying it's yet another annoyance.

-RM
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
"Ready for check-in" on home screen: a feature right there that is useless to me as check-in won't be able to complete [for all my trips to China] without Visa verification at the airport anyway.
yeah, but that's true with the current app as well. What *would* be useful when such a trip is upcoming - a blank screen? (Other than, of course, a visa scan that actually verified your visa in advance).
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:38 pm

yeah, but that's true with the current app as well. What *would* be useful when such a trip is upcoming - a blank screen? (Other than, of course, a visa scan that actually verified your visa in advance).
Aye, but the current app doesn't tempt me to do something that won't actually work; I'd have to select it myself if I so choose.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
And the credit card ad is there of course, although not as bad as my previous example.

were you never able to successfully scan in your visa in the app?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:48 pm

Of course there has to be an ad hawking a credit card offer....
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
were you never able to successfully scan in your visa in the app?
Sadly no. It appears not to work with all types of Visas (C, M and L only? Z never worked for me (pun intended).)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.