Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier

ICYMI:
https://exclusives.mileageplus.com/L...ned-United-app

Looks like they are teaming up with The Points Guy, and allowing a small group of folks to see the new app, and meet an executive from United.

I've used the AA, and Delta App, and I feel like the United App is the best out there. I hope this new redesign does not take away any functionality.

Any FT'ers in NYC going to this and can report back to the broader group on what the new app is like?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is not good news.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is not good news.
I'm excited about the new app. The current app was in need of an overhaul to address some of the performance issues. I think this is good news.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by bdraco
I'm excited about the new app. The current app was in need of an overhaul to address some of the performance issues. I think this is good news.
I respectfully disagree. It is simple and easy to use with no bloat as of today. I have not had one performance issue with it, or any reason to suspect so. It does what it says on the tin for me and compared to other airline apps, afaiac, it is one of the best out there. I suspect it will become a selling aid with all sorts of intrusions and new permissions required.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by bdraco
Unfortunately, a "redesign" nowadays almost always comes with a loss of functionality, sometimes a significant loss. The UA website is a prime example. "Redesign" is too often jargon for "dumbing down", resulting in the user being less informed and thus less powerful.

I'm not the kind of guy to resist change solely because it's change, and I welcome any "redesign", but not at the cost of functionality. The UA app is the best airline-owned app right now, let's keep it that way.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:11 am

If they let the people responsible for the new website redesign anywhere near the app, this is going to be a disaster.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by east_west
If they let the people responsible for the new website redesign anywhere near the app, this is going to be a disaster.
And if she was the CDO that presided over that redesign, I dread to think what awaits us as we move from something that is functional to something that is "down with the kids".
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:32 am

Uh oh...., this is not good news. There is no better airline app out there than the United one, no need to improve or redesign whatsoever.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
For many of the old timers, hope this is not the repeat of “United Connection” software all over again!

Let’s hope this is a change we will like for a change.

United Connection Software
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
I do not feel the need to spend 2,500 miles to be angry about this 5 minutes before everybody else.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:15 am

Please just let me stay logged in.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I'm prepared to be surprised, but given how much of a mess the new website is, I don't have much hope for a redesigned app. The current app is almost perfect, a few minor tweaks would improve it, but it doesn't need much.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will be "interactive and immersive" I am sure ! I think we can probably predict the other corp BS that gets spewed up at the event.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I like the app just the way it is right now. The only big piece that had been missing - seeing fare buckets in searches - is now available. Why fix what is not broken?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I hope we don't lost functionality, for sure. Agree its the best out there now. Not the kind of guy who wants a new look substituting for a lack of functionality. But...

I think it needs a visual update, and there's lots of ways it could improve. For example:

- Why is there 3 different 'flight status' links, which have two different modules (the top tab goes for current reservations...I know, but why does it need something separate...that can be easily combined).
- It's ultra slow much of the time to access basically anything - that needs to improve
- Why is there no prominent link for weather waiver info when there is one (especially when its clear they can put customized stuff on the home page, given they currently have my mile play promo goal, and have cc bonus info).
- Why is half the home page (between top tabs and the yellow banner with status and balance info) basically wasted, blank space - can't this be used for other relevant info. (link to current day BP, destination weather info, flight status highlight card for next flight, etc.).

So I get the argument about not losing functionality. But IMO, it needs to be modernized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.