Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
UA 6047 MSP-IAD yesterday. Got the CPU around T-8. At the gate they announced 2 INOP FC seats (flight was full) and the initial offer was $1000 for 2 FC pax to VDB. I was first to the podium and one right behind me.

Got put on DL in FC to arrive 2.5 hours later. The DL flight was also over by 1 and I was the only volunteer. It looked promising but one pax misconnected, so no $500 gift card for me Oh well, I think I did OK.

That is 3 VDB's on UA so far this year for a total of $2300 ($1000, $800, 500). Hoping for a few more to fund my 2020 1st Qtr. TPAC MR
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
UA 6047 MSP-IAD yesterday. Got the CPU around T-8. At the gate they announced 2 INOP FC seats (flight was full) and the initial offer was $1000 for 2 FC pax to VDB. I was first to the podium and one right behind me.

Got put on DL in FC to arrive 2.5 hours later. The DL flight was also over by 1 and I was the only volunteer. It looked promising but one pax misconnected, so no $500 gift card for me Oh well, I think I did OK.

That is 3 VDB's on UA so far this year for a total of $2300 ($1000, $800, 500). Hoping for a few more to fund my 2020 1st Qtr. TPAC MR
Did they put you in first on DL?
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by BThumme
Did they put you in first on DL?
Appears so

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr

Got put on DL in FC to arrive 2.5 hours later.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:30 pm

This is from a few months ago (late May).

I had a flight BUR-SJC as basically a free add-on to a SJC-NRT r/t (on NH) with a long layover 20 hour in SJC, which is fine since I live in the Bay Area. Was going to go home, sleep, come back to catch the flight the next day. The only negative was that I had to fly via DEN because UA doesn't do BUR-SJC, but booked it as it was cheaper and all the other flights were non-sopts.

At the gate, they asked for volunteers. I was second there, and got offered $700 credit AND put on a direct AS flight to SJC! So ended up arriving in SJC 3 hours earlier, on a better airline, and got $700.
jsloan, AeRoSpaceman and jjmoore like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:12 am

1500 anc-ord

Was originally on anc-iah but that flight got delayed and my new freebird service (free with my Amex biz plat) saw my misconnect and suggested booking me 1hr later via Chicago so I took it and got a cpu on ord-Jax which was nice. But the anc-iah got cancelled (coming from ewr which had 6+hr delays apparently) and they called me up, I originally asked 800 but bumped it up to 1500 when they said 24hr for next UA flight but I was nice and they put me on AS 1hr later to ord with 8hr layover in Chicago. So really a 7hr delay for 1500 I’m pretty happy.
onthesam, jjmoore and FlyngSvyr like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Strategy for multiple VDB tomorrow

I am a 1K and booked on the EWR - DFW at 6:59AM tomorrow. I am travelling with 5 companions tomorrow, all on different PNR's. All have Econ + seating.

Due to the storms we have been having over the last couple of days at EWR there have been quite a few cancellations etc. While checking all of them we got the VDB screen and asking for bid amounts to give up the flight for a later flight to DFW. I would love to give up this flight in exchange for vouchers to get to DFW later.

I was going to show up early and let the gate agent know we are still willing and able to give up our seats. Is there anything different the FT brain trust would advise in this situation?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
I had this happen on IRROPS multiple times this year. What I found when getting to the gate is numerous seats had been "held" and not released the night before, so several standby ended up clearing (despite the flight initially being oversold).

They would page half a dozen people who had either been booked on another flight or otherwise accomodated but still showed they had seats on the morning flight.

You may get lucky though!
azfanboy likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azfanboy
I was going to show up early and let the gate agent know we are still willing and able to give up our seats. Is there anything different the FT brain trust would advise in this situation?
The only thing I'd add is that if you're willing to be split up, you should say so, as the chance that they'll need five seats is very small.

That said: I wouldn't get my hopes up. In general, UA won't oversell flights due to WX cancellations -- at least, not by any more than usual. There will just be a bunch of people who get routed through other cities, or who end up on the standby list for a couple of days, or whatever. UA's not eager to give out vouchers in order to get the cancellation victims out earlier.
FlytheTail and azfanboy like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The flight may be overbooked, but it can't be oversold until more people show up on time with confirmed seats than there are seats on the aircraft. That is the rub. Massive weather-related IRROPS may well mean that there is a backlog of passengers bound for DFW, but it also means that many passengers connecting onwards to DFW won't make it to EWR. Thus, the situation identified above becomes reality. E.g., the flight is overbooked and actually winds up going out with empty seats or accommodating standbys.

Strategically, there is not more to be done than showing up a bit early (if you show up at T-35 to board at T-30, show up at T-50) and being flexible. Don't expect all five passengers to make the next flight and be prepared for that next flight to be 2-3 flights later.
azfanboy likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:08 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Remember this rule:
If you are planning on a VDB, the flight looks oversold for a VDB or it looks like no seats are available, then it probably won't happen.
If you get to the airport thinking they won't need a VDB, then it possibly could happen.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
If your objective is to do this so you can get some compensation, then that is not likely to happen... certainly not for the whole party.
If you want to try and get to your destination sooner or at a different itme then just simply ask for a complimentary change to help UA deal with their potential oversold. I have done this before, even avoiding connections to go direct, and it is a win win. BUT I don't ask for anything more.
sexykitten7 and azfanboy like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Remember this rule:
If you are planning on a VDB, the flight looks oversold for a VDB or it looks like no seats are available, then it probably won't happen.
If you get to the airport thinking they won't need a VDB, then it possibly could happen.
When your schedule is flexible, VDB is not needed.
When your schedule is inflexible, VDB is needed.
iluv2fly, onthesam, DELee and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:30 am

07/19 - Spouse and I bid $800 USD ($1050 CAD) each (booked on separate reservations) for VDB from YYC-ORD upon check-in.. the gate agent asked for volunteers at $550, we approached and reminded of our bid at $800 USD each and they took it. Rebooked for 6 hours later and moved to E+.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by TylerYYC
07/19 - Spouse and I bid $800 USD ($1050 CAD) each (booked on separate reservations) for VDB from YYC-ORD upon check-in.. the gate agent asked for volunteers at $550, we approached and reminded of our bid at $800 USD each and they took it. Rebooked for 6 hours later and moved to E+.
Should have 'reminded' them of $2k bid ... who knows, they might have taken it. Otherwise, "oh, your screen shows we bid $800 ... ok we'll take that."
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by JAXFLY
Was originally on anc-iah but that flight got delayed and my new freebird service (free with my Amex biz plat) saw my misconnect and suggested booking me 1hr later via Chicago so I took it and got a cpu on ord-Jax which was nice. But the anc-iah got cancelled (coming from ewr which had 6+hr delays apparently) and they called me up, I originally asked 800 but bumped it up to 1500 when they said 24hr for next UA flight but I was nice and they put me on AS 1hr later to ord with 8hr layover in Chicago. So really a 7hr delay for 1500 I’m pretty happy.
Don't forget to double-dip and get credit for the AS flights, as well as the ORC for the UA flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.