Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
However, I should think it's possible to be rebooked onto overbooked flights (Full/Full) if there is still inventory. But that generally just passes the buck so I believe it's rare.
Yes, it is possible to reconfirm onto another overbooked flight, at which point you can then volunteer again if you are so inclined.

I'm not sure if it's rare or not. I doubt most agents will check the actual load if they see inventory available when doing a VDB. The only time I've seen agents worry about load is when re-accommodating on another airline (they'll call to verify space) or during IRROPS.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
You cannot do standby VDB (yes I've asked LOL).
But you can standby for earlier flights than the ones you are now confirmed on.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
But you can standby for earlier flights than the ones you are now confirmed on.
Of course you can. But @sexykitten7's point is that you can't VDB while on the standby list. And you're only going to clear the standby list after all passengers are loaded and if empty seats remain (assuming an oversold flight). If the flight isn't oversold then you'll clear at the 30 minute mark and no additional (or any) volunteers needed.

-RM
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Of course you can. But @sexykitten7's point is that you can't VDB while on the standby list. And you're only going to clear the standby list after all passengers are loaded and if empty seats remain (assuming an oversold flight). If the flight isn't oversold then you'll clear at the 30 minute mark and no additional (or any) volunteers needed.

-RM
Actually that's not what I meant. Perhaps I should have been clearer. You cannot take the bump and say just list me on standby for the next/last flight out, I'll risk it. You need to be confirmed on a different itinerary where all legs have space, not just the first one for example.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Actually that's not what I meant. Perhaps I should have been clearer. You cannot take the bump and say just list me on standby for the next/last flight out, I'll risk it. You need to be confirmed on a different itinerary where all legs have space, not just the first one for example.
Oh, sorry. I misread it. But, of course you're correct They have to confirm you in open space (J or Y) on a flight to your destination if you successfully VDB.

-RM
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:44 pm

Right, but once you're confirmed, you can standby for those flights where you'll "risk it". That is, if you VDB on the 6PM and they confirm you on the 9PM, you can standby on the 7PM and 8PM.
jsloan and jjmoore like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Right, but once you're confirmed, you can standby for those flights where you'll "risk it". That is, if you VDB on the 6PM and they confirm you on the 9PM, you can standby on the 7PM and 8PM.
In that case yes. But hypothetically (and in my case) if you were on the penultimate flight out and the last flight was also oversold, I don't think you would be able to rebook for the following day and SBY for the last flight, as SBY applies only to same (calendar) day flights. But I could be mistaken. Presumably the GA could force you on the list even if against protocol. Has anyone tried this?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:57 pm

Penultimate is a fabulous word, and should be used more often.

I have not had that exact experience, but did have one (involving a cancellation, not a VDB) with an airport change and I was not allowed to do it. I could neither standby at the old airport (since I was now confirmed out of the new airport) nor the new airport (since my flight was tomorrow). Once it was tomorrow, I was able to standby (and in fact cleared).
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Penultimate is a fabulous word, and should be used more often.
Antepenultimate is even better.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In that case yes. But hypothetically (and in my case) if you were on the penultimate flight out and the last flight was also oversold, I don't think you would be able to rebook for the following day and SBY for the last flight, as SBY applies only to same (calendar) day flights. But I could be mistaken. Presumably the GA could force you on the list even if against protocol. Has anyone tried this?
Yes, a GA can absolutely list you for standby in this situation.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
3/30 SFO-IAH #1204 1125pm departure. needed 1 volunteer, $700 voucher.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:42 pm

EWR-YQB 3/29 $5,000. Five thousand dollars.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
CLE-MCO 3/23. They needed 1 volunteer, I was called to the podium and offered $2000 travel voucher. Spring break plane full of families with small children going to Disney, and none of them were jumping at the initial $1000 offer. Had to decline since I needed to be at work that afternoon...
FlyngSvyr likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by bman1002
Any strategies when making a bid at check-in via website or app? Or just bid as low as you can in hopes of being selected?
My sense is that *IF* the GA follows protocol, low bid gets first dibs. But if more than one volunteer is needed, everyone get the amount of the final acceptance. I recently bid low at $400 (options were $400/$500/$600), and was selected; then it turned out two seats were needed. Nobody volunteered until the offer hit $2000, so I also got $2000. Plus a $10 meal voucher (which basically gets you fries at SFO)

Spring break should come more often.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mehitabel
My sense is that *IF* the GA follows protocol, low bid gets first dibs. But if more than one volunteer is needed, everyone get the amount of the final acceptance. I recently bid low at $400 (options were $400/$500/$600), and was selected; then it turned out two seats were needed. Nobody volunteered until the offer hit $2000, so I also got $2000. Plus a $10 meal voucher (which basically gets you fries at SFO)

Spring break should come more often.
When you say selected, you mean you talked with the GA in advance of them calling out additional volunteers and confirming they would use you (if they needed you)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.