Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Calliopetcat
GA was very kind and efficient about finding multiple volunteers to give up seats for this full flight. When I checked in 24 hours in advance, I was asked to bid with preset options for same day flight at $300, $500, and $750. I bid $950 for a flight that had one stop in Denver and would arrive in Austin 3 hours later than the original flight.

At the gate, the GA offered $1500 to take a flight the next day (plus hotel and meals). I had to arrive that night for a work obligation in the morning, but at least four people took the next day option.

Weather was great, and this was late in the evening already, so even the flights on other airlines were full.
Should have asked for IAH + rental car (or an extra $250 on the ETC) ... only 2.5 hour drive from IAH to Austin.....

Nice offer for an issue out of UA's control... seen them offer less and deny boarding to people without raising the offer in the past. Nice to see UA proactively get VDB's.
jsloan and Calliopetcat like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Should have asked for IAH + rental car (or an extra $250 on the ETC) ... only 2.5 hour drive from IAH to Austin.....
Ah, yes - GA actually made this suggestion to me. Unfortunately I couldn't accept that option. But yes very impressed by how proactive and sympathetic UA was. Best flight experience I've had in a long time too.

​​​​Now I'm wondering if I might have a similar opportunity on my 3/14 flight home when I have much more flexibility!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calliopetcat
​​​​Now I'm wondering if I might have a similar opportunity on my 3/14 flight home when I have much more flexibility!
It's certainly possible. SXSW leads to very full flights.
Calliopetcat likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore

Nice offer for an issue out of UA's control... seen them offer less and deny boarding to people without raising the offer in the past. Nice to see UA proactively get VDB's.
When this happened to one of my flights out of IAD, the GA said the offer was $150 or $200 (can't remember) and if they didn't get enough takers, people would be IDB'd according to fare paid. This was a few months pre-Dr. Dao, so while he was bad for people who like to VDB, maybe some good came out of it.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by joe_miami
When this happened to one of my flights out of IAD, the GA said the offer was $150 or $200 (can't remember) and if they didn't get enough takers, people would be IDB'd according to fare paid. This was a few months pre-Dr. Dao, so while he was bad for people who like to VDB, maybe some good came out of it.
It is very apparent that UA has assigned a much higher $$ to bad PR. Even though a downsizing / weight restriction oversale is not the same as a true overbooking, and the DoT penalties for such don't apply.... UA is now taking the high road and doing its best to pay VDB's instead of IDB in any situation.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
15 Mar
EWR-LAX
2 oversold. $1000 and direct to Orange County, CA instead. 2 took it.
(787-10, Polaris - beautiful!)
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:08 pm

ok so if i am a explorer cardholder of mileage plus and purchase ual's basic super dooper basic economy and they need volunteers, am i outta luck? i'd gladly give up my reservation for a couple of benjamins to arrive 2 or 3 hours later....or are those who are both ual mp card holders and flying basic economy given 'face value vouchers' if they vdb!?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
In DSM this morning, all three ~6AM departures (ORD, DEN, IAH) were oversold. ORD got up to $9000, DEN hit $5000, and I didn't stick around long enough for IAH to close. The passenger who took $5000 accepted DSM-DTW-YYZ-SJD a day later (with overnight in YYZ, hotel paid by UA) instead of staying with his family for DSM-DEN-SJD. But hey, it's $5000!

Unfortunately, I know all of this because I was the one running from gate to gate trying to clear onto these flights off of the standby (originally flying via DEN in the afternoon). I drove to ORD for a nonstop instead.

Interesting process note: the agents didn't start boarding until they had enough volunteers (with alternate routing confirmed) to cover the oversale. I didn't know it worked that way, but it makes sense for the "We'll never kick you out of your seat once you're on" policy.
jjmoore, FlyngSvyr and zeer0 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan
ok so if i am a explorer cardholder of mileage plus and purchase ual's basic super dooper basic economy and they need volunteers, am i outta luck? i'd gladly give up my reservation for a couple of benjamins to arrive 2 or 3 hours later....or are those who are both ual mp card holders and flying basic economy given 'face value vouchers' if they vdb!?
Anyone on a paying fare ($$$ or award) on the plane can volunteer for a VDB. Business/First Class all the way down to a Basic Economy fare. It all comes down to who blinks first for compensation. Remember, all your getting is funny money on UA. Not real $$. But for most of us that is good enough as it counts towards PQDs.

Originally Posted by aindfan
In DSM this morning, all three ~6AM departures (ORD, DEN, IAH) were oversold. ORD got up to $9000, DEN hit $5000, and I didn't stick around long enough for IAH to close. The passenger who took $5000 accepted DSM-DTW-YYZ-SJD a day later (with overnight in YYZ, hotel paid by UA) instead of staying with his family for DSM-DEN-SJD. But hey, it's $5000!

Unfortunately, I know all of this because I was the one running from gate to gate trying to clear onto these flights off of the standby (originally flying via DEN in the afternoon). I drove to ORD for a nonstop instead.

Interesting process note: the agents didn't start boarding until they had enough volunteers (with alternate routing confirmed) to cover the oversale. I didn't know it worked that way, but it makes sense for the "We'll never kick you out of your seat once you're on" policy.
Holy Moly. That is some serious MR capital right there.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan
A basic economy ticket doesn’t matter with regards to gate controlled VDB. You can still volunteer and are entitled receive the same as the highest offer that is taken. You can also negotiate for whatever you want, it’s up to United to counter/accept it. eg you can be a on a basic economy fare and say that you will volunteer for $XX and business class flights later on. If they are really stuck, they might take you up on the offer
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aindfan
In DSM this morning, all three ~6AM departures (ORD, DEN, IAH) were oversold. ORD got up to $9000
Admittedly, had to look up where DSM is. If I had to - I'd drive for $9K oversell.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by seanp7
15 Mar
EWR-LAX
2 oversold. $1000 and direct to Orange County, CA instead. 2 took it.
(787-10, Polaris - beautiful!)
Can runway at SNA accommodate a 787-10?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Can runway at SNA accommodate a 787-10?
That was my first thought, too. But then I realized the OP put it in parenthesis. I believe OP was booked on the LAX flight and didn't take the bump so they flew the regularly scheduled 787-10 EWR-LAX while two others took the bump to the 737-700 (73G) EWR-SNA.

-RM
seanp7 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Admittedly, had to look up where DSM is. If I had to - I'd drive for $9K oversell.
I had to look up too, so let me just post that it is Des Moines, IA. I wish there were a $9K offer from RNO.
am1108 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

UA234 SFO-MCO over by 4 today. Offer went to $2000 to get all 4. My colleague was one of them. Protection was thru IAD arriving at midnight. 8 hours late for $2000 is $250/hr.... not bad.
jsloan, seanp7, am1108 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.