Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by samaryatim
She finished calling the boarding groups, and closed boarding. She addressed a lengthy issue with two travelers trying to make a connect with their international flight. I waited for her to finish, and caught her attention as she was readying to leave the desk – she had forgotten about me. She said I should have been on the departed flight.
When a gate agent finishes calling all boarding groups, that is when you should confirm with gate agent if s/he still needs your seat. I usually try to confirm with gate agent when my boarding group is called due to overhead bin concern.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Or when you’re boarding group is called tell them hey I’m about to board I’m in seat XX, please find me if you need me. I’ll be happy to deplane
canadiancow and pmarrsouth like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I would have expected "This is a final boarding call for United 1234 to Newark. Paging passengers Alice, Bob, and Charlie."

I could see myself doing the exact same thing. Though I tend to stand at the desk when it's clear general boarding is done and they're moving on to final call.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:18 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Or when you’re boarding group is called tell them hey I’m about to board I’m in seat XX, please find me if you need me. I’ll be happy to deplane
This is what I always do (for the sake of overhead bin storage) I just tell the GA that I'll be happy to deplane if they need me.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
BTV-ORD is currently over by 4. Gate agent announced compensation would be an $800 voucher. So far no one has approached the podium...this should be interesting.

*EDIT* — up to $1000. Still only one taker, three more needed. No interest from any other pax.

Last edited by TravelTheWorld66; Aug 28, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
BTV-ORD is currently over by 4. Gate agent announced compensation would be an $800 voucher. So far no one has approached the podium...this should be interesting.

*EDIT* — up to $1000. Still only one taker, three more needed. No interest from any other pax.
Last weeks DCA to IAH flight needed something like 7 off. Bidding got up to $1500 before they got all seven! It actually hit $1600 but that pax wasn't need in the end and was returned to his seat. Some of these VDB vouchers are getting crazy.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:46 pm

2019/08/28 SFO-PAE UA5898 4:15 PM. Was connecting from IAH. Checking travel options out of habit brought up the need volunteer screen. At first none of the flights worked for me (all tomorrow), but then later I checked again and space opened up on the last flight of the day. Amounts were $200-$300-$400 (it may have been +50, but I don't remember since I was checking it multiple times), and I picked the highest one. Later on checked with the gate agent, said she may need one and the amount was $500. Ended up getting it and got space on the 9:38 PM flight.

I may have been able to push my luck, but based on her behavior after, I think she was on the fence about taking my spot for one reason or another, so I was ok with that amount. Bonus points: found out priority pass works at the SF Giant Clubhouse restaurant so was able to get a reasonable priced meal (if I had only skipped dessert it could have been all paid for by PP).

Weird observation: at first my new flight (9:38 PM) was full, then became unfull as there is Y3 space (0 in F though). Even so right now the volunteer screen keeps coming up when I check. I'll probably pass on another bump (if they actually need people) unless they offer amounts much bigger than what the app was telling me (which were the same amounts as before).
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:24 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

My wife and I were planning to fly IAD-TYS last Friday. We were originally offered $600 each but one of us would be on the later flight and then other on a flight the next day. I passed and was offered $800 per passenger if we opted to fly to CHA instead of TYS. We would still fly back to IAD from TYS for the return. I quickly checked Kayak on my smartphone and locked into a 1-way CHA-TYS Alamo rental for $21 and took the offer. Without asking, the agent also gave us two $10 food vouchers which we used after we returned the rental car at TYS.

The CHA flight was waiting for us so the door closed right behind us and we got to enjoy the luxury of the very last row on a CRJ-200. Less than 2 hours after we landed in CHA, we returned the rental car at TYS and got on with our day. Not too shabby for $1,600 worth of vouchers and a free visit to Starbucks.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Took $400 on UA2410 LAX-MCO tonight along with fellow FTer FlyngSvyr . Over by a few and took it for a reroute thru IAH. Winner winner!!
jsloan and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Biggest Yet

UA362 downgauged from 764 to 763 in HNL. 9 confirmed F passengers lost their seats.

I gave up mine for $5,000 + got $80 in transportation vouchers + $60 in food vouchers + got a day room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Took a confirmed F flight 8 hours later.

Added bonus: Hilton recognized my Diamond status and gave me $20 additional food/beverage credit and upgraded me to a great suite in the Rainbow Tower. They said I could have it through the next afternoon, but I needed to travel out of there.

Definitely my personal record.

A couple walked with $10k and rebooked to the next day and a family of 5 took $25k and the fare difference to Y; they opted to sit in coach for the original flight. Another GS took the $$$ but not sure what he decided to do.
jsloan, SS255, jhayes_1780 and 8 others like this.

Last edited by Weatherboy; Oct 30, 2019 at 2:37 am
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
UA362 downgauged from 764 to 763 in HNL. 9 confirmed F passengers lost their seats.

I gave up mine for $5,000 + got $80 in transportation vouchers + $60 in food vouchers + got a day room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Took a confirmed F flight 8 hours later.

Added bonus: Hilton recognized my Diamond status and gave me $20 additional food/beverage credit and upgraded me to a great suite in the Rainbow Tower. They said I could have it through the next afternoon, but I needed to travel out of there.
Good deal.

How was the compensation package negotiated or presented?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 3, 2019 at 1:23 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
How was the compensation package negotiated or presented?
Wasn't much negotiated. They were pretty desperate. I asked if they'd go higher than $5,000 and they said no. I saw the later flight had F open and asked them if they could put me on it...and because it was 8 hours later, could they get me a hotel room.

They gave me the $5k on the spot and said the room shouldn't be an issue but that they'd need to get the flight out first. Once it did, they asked if I had a preference where and I said Waikiki and the Hilton and they said they'd see what they could do. About 15-20 mins later, they secured me a spot there, gave me transportation vouchers, and more food vouchers for being patient. And then I left to hit the beach $5k wealthier
jsloan, rittenhousesq, st3 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
They gave me the $5k on the spot...And then I left to hit the beach $5k wealthier
In cash?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
In cash?
Undoubtedly TCVA voucher. Cash is only given to IDB by UA. I have heard of other airlines giving out cash incintive (AA) or Visa gift cards (DL).
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:38 pm

In cash?
No, as an ETC.
747FC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.