Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Old Jul 19, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
TUL-DEN was oversold by 1 this afternoon. I negotiated $900 at the gate for a flight arriving back tomorrow.

Unfortunately 1 dummy didnít show up and I got on the flight
Russell745 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by david_oz View Post
...Unfortunately 1 dummy didn’t show up and I got on the flight
This is the outcome more often than not for VDBs in 2019.
jsloan, Billiken and seanp7 like this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
This is the outcome more often than not for VDBs in 2019.
yep. Twice in a row for me unfortunately but surprising at an airport like Tulsa where everyone is checked in, the airport is small and itís the last flight of the day with a 30 min delay.
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:57 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by david_oz View Post

yep. Twice in a row for me unfortunately but surprising at an airport like Tulsa where everyone is checked in, the airport is small and itís the last flight of the day with a 30 min delay.
That passenger could have checked in online but not physically at airport.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a rare VDB recently. I was connecting through IAD on the way to my destination. The only availability I could find was via ORD, but the IAD-ORD flight left 15 minutes before my current flight. I told the gate agent that I didn't want to get him in trouble, but if he would process the VDB ahead of time, I'd volunteer. He said he was almost sure that he'd need me and was willing to do it. I asked him what the compensation was, he looked at it, decided it was too low, and increased it proactively to something I was comfortable with -- not as much as I might have been able to get at the gate, but it was worth it to have it confirmed in advance and to avoid an overnight at IAD. He had to fight with the system a bit, and I ended up dropping in fare class, but I wasn't going to quibble.

(If you're wondering why I'm eliding so many details: I checked the flight later, and the seat map showed that it went out with one empty seat in Y (!). It didn't show any standbys having cleared, so I'm hopeful that the seat map was wrong, or maybe that seat was in-op or something...)

Anyway, the moral of the story is, if you have an alternative in mind, go ahead and ask for it; you might just get lucky.
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Today, July 20, EWR-SFO @ 9:30am overbooked by 5 with waitlist of 30+ people due to delayed 8:15am flight (to 11:45am). Offered $400, a family of 5 immediately volunteered. Several 1K in the waitlist hoping to get on the flight (one very annoying in particular) but gate agent didnít want to take more volunteers than needed, so they all had to stick to their originally delayed flight.
Old Jul 22, 19, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre &
Originally Posted by 1KHI View Post
Today, July 20, EWR-SFO @ 9:30am overbooked by 5 with waitlist of 30+ people due to delayed 8:15am flight (to 11:45am). Offered $400, a family of 5 immediately volunteered. Several 1K in the waitlist hoping to get on the flight (one very annoying in particular) but gate agent didnít want to take more volunteers than needed, so they all had to stick to their originally delayed flight.
Seen this happen in the past.... even if those delayed pax were due to mechanical, the GA cannot take more than needed. If those folks were GS, you would have seen that flight over by more people for sure because UA would have bumped to place those GS into seats.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:14 am

On June 29th (Saturday) I had an early afternoon flight from DCA to IAH. The flight was boarded and ready to go when the gate agent came on and said we were overweight for the weather conditions. 20 people needed to deplane before the flight could leave. When they got to a final offer of $2,500 + meal vouchers, + hotel if necessary I decided I would be happy to kill some more time in the UC at Reagan. I got to Houston 8 hours later than my original schedule.

That was a costly flight and day for United! While I was waiting to be reticketed I heard lots of gate announcements asking for volunteers to give up their seats, but most of the amounts were $1,000-$1,500 with some less than $1,000. Iím still in disbelief that we were fully boarded and ready for departure before they realized they needed 20 of the 76 passengers to deplane.

i wish my husband had been with me!
seanp7 and CREN like this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by AggieTexan View Post
Iím still in disbelief that we were fully boarded and ready for departure before they realized they needed 20 of the 76 passengers to deplane.
It's quite possible that the weather changed. But, yes, obviously a lot better if they can catch it before boarding.

It really says something that the airline hands out 20 x $2,500 rather than just cancelling the flight which would cost them $0.
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
It really says something that the airline hands out 20 x $2,500 rather than just cancelling the flight which would cost them $0.
IDB'ing would also have cost them $0, since it was a safety issue, not an overbooking.

Perhaps someone in operations has finally learned the value of goodwill.
jjmoore and ajGoes like this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:35 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA 1K
On an Island Hopper KWA to MAJ last month, they were looking for 2 volunteers in the KWA terminal. Started off the gate with a $2000 ETC, went up to $4000 before two travelers were convinced.
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AggieTexan View Post
On June 29th (Saturday) I had an early afternoon flight from DCA to IAH. The flight was boarded and ready to go when the gate agent came on and said we were overweight for the weather conditions. 20 people needed to deplane before the flight could leave. When they got to a final offer of $2,500 + meal vouchers, + hotel if necessary I decided I would be happy to kill some more time in the UC at Reagan. I got to Houston 8 hours later than my original schedule.

That was a costly flight and day for United! While I was waiting to be reticketed I heard lots of gate announcements asking for volunteers to give up their seats, but most of the amounts were $1,000-$1,500 with some less than $1,000. I’m still in disbelief that we were fully boarded and ready for departure before they realized they needed 20 of the 76 passengers to deplane.

i wish my husband had been with me!
Nice!!

I used to get nice overweight bumps on DCA-MCI back in the US Airways days but never *that* nice.

Near the edge of the DCA perimeter + heavier airplane (737) + some weather anywhere in the Midwest + a hot surface temps in DC. I did that commute for 3 years, often bumping off of the Friday afternoon flights in the summer. I don't think I actually paid out of pocket for a leisure trip at all in those years...always had more than enough bump vouchers to cover myself plus anyone traveling with me.

The only foil to the plan was when it got *too* hot. Then they'd board everyone, take on less fuel, and we'd have a pit stop in Louisville.
LIH likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre &
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Nice!!

I used to get nice overweight bumps on DCA-MCI back in the US Airways days but never *that* nice.

Near the edge of the DCA perimeter + heavier airplane (737) + some weather anywhere in the Midwest + a hot surface temps in DC. I did that commute for 3 years, often bumping off of the Friday afternoon flights in the summer. I don't think I actually paid out of pocket for a leisure trip at all in those years...always had more than enough bump vouchers to cover myself plus anyone traveling with me.

The only foil to the plan was when it got *too* hot. Then they'd board everyone, take on less fuel, and we'd have a pit stop in Louisville.
Nothing compares to the heat wave days at DEN, where my ERJ-145 flights were always over by 15 and I bumped 3-4 times in a single day on a couple occasions several years back.
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold

GRR-IAD was oversold today.

i put my name on the list about 24 hours out.

My inbound from NRT was a bit delayed, and by the time I got to the gate, the gate agent was processing a couple to take an earlier flight through ORD. He said he was emailing them their compensation.

so that was frustrating to hear. Everything in this area is over right now - Asheville, St. Louis, and Lexington

update: only one of the couple volunteered - the husband going though ord, the wife boarded our flight. The fun part now? Weíre going out with an empty seat.
BrettMCA and jjmoore like this.

Last edited by BThumme; Jul 24, 19 at 3:20 pm
Old Jul 31, 19, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
ORD-PWM was oversold this morning. Flight was something like 9am-noon. Only option app gave today was the next UA nonstop at like 9pm. Still, I put my name on the list, and once I got to the gate, I saw I was protected on ORD-EWR-PWM getting in at 3pm. When I asked what the compensation was, the GA mummered something about $300, she asked what I was looking for, so I mentioned the app offered me $550 as the lowest amount (which is true, albeit for a 10hr delay). She said let's just do $600.

So I got my first score of the year, as well as a $20 meal voucher. Only downside is I like to collect airline routes, and ORD-PWM would have been a new one for me.

I'll be using the voucher to take myself and fiancee to San Diego for my birthday

Also, I was given the option of my travel voucher being emailed, which I did (and received immediately). I know my last post I mentioned it for another guy, but is this a new trend? I've never had the option (although it's been like a year since I got a VDB). It's much nicer then getting the paper receipt.

Search this Thread