Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Old Jul 6, 19, 9:37 am

Location: UAL PP/2MM, SPG LT PLT75, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
July 4th, IAH-SFO, one over. I couldn't get there soon enough but they offered another passenger $500 to take a later flight. He said no, $1000, and they gave it to him.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 6, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Got a request to volunteer when checking in for BOS-EWR. Put in max bid ($2k) and will see what happens - it’s short enough where I can suffer a different way back if I must.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 6, 19, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Got a request to volunteer when checking in for BOS-EWR. Put in max bid ($2k) and will see what happens - it’s short enough where I can suffer a different way back if I must.
with the current T-storm situation ... who knows!
Old Jul 6, 19, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
with the current T-storm situation ... who knows!
My flight is tomorrow afternoon - we’ll see
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre
Originally Posted by isocblrg View Post
In mid-May I was booked HNL-GUM-MNL. That evening GUM-MNL flight was overbooked by 30 people (so I was told later by some UA employees who had time to kill and looked it up). UA sent an employee to stand at the jetway to tell all deplaning passengers from the HNL-GUM flight that they were eagerly looking for volunteers due to a plane substitution (gauge change) and were offering $5,000 VDB. I suspect most people were protected onto the same time UA flight the next day; UA was able to protect me onto an early morning Philippines Airways flight, so net 12 hour delay into MNL instead of net 24 hours delay. Overnight hotel was at the Hilton near Guam Airport, comfortable enough for sure. I was also told that they had no problems getting the number of volunteers needed, not surprising given that was their opening offer.

Wish I had that kind of opportunity more often....
fantastic!!! Sounds like a B738 to B737 downgauge.
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Anyone have experience volunteering twice in one day (i.e. VDB-ing on your original flight and again on the flight you’re reconfirmed on after the first VDB)?

Is there any reason that wouldn’t be allowed?
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mcrw00 View Post
Anyone have experience volunteering twice in one day (i.e. VDB-ing on your original flight and again on the flight you’re reconfirmed on after the first VDB)?

it's not a problem at all.
mcrw00 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:09 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
it's not a problem at all.
Agreed. My personal best was three in one day.
mcrw00 and pmarrsouth like this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 11:41 am

Didn’t get my bid hit...oh well. Probably a bit wishful thinking that $2k would be offered, even with the weather causing trouble for holiday travel back home.
Old Jul 8, 19, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre
Originally Posted by mcrw00 View Post

Not an issue whatsoever!! I did it 3 times in one day a few years back. Almost got it twice a few weeks ago.
Old Jul 8, 19, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
$800 for a flight four hours later GRR-ORD this morning.

last person Boards, they start processing my certificate after saying “that’s it.”...and then five minutes later they get a call there’s an open seat somehow and I’m on board.

the pilots let another pilot sit in the jumpseat. So I had fun trying to find a place for my backpack on an e145 this morning. So close! Must be a busy travel day today after the long holiday weekend.

really got my hopes up when I saw I was protected when I woke up this morning. I don’t usually see that happen that far in advance.

Last edited by BThumme; Jul 8, 19 at 6:43 am
Old Jul 8, 19, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Didn’t get my bid hit...oh well. Probably a bit wishful thinking that $2k would be offered, even with the weather causing trouble for holiday travel back home.
Did they take anyone?
Old Jul 8, 19, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
Did they take anyone?
Not sure - I didn’t hang around the gate area. 4 people did clear off of standby, but if UA was smart, they would have put them on the 21-hour delayed flight at 3:15pm - that went out with F half-full and an A320 that was at least 80% empty in Y. My plan was to ‘volunteer’ to move to that flight if I got VDB’ed, but alas - no dice. Still enjoyed making it home earlier, though.
Old Jul 8, 19, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
$800 for a flight four hours later GRR-ORD this morning.

last person Boards, they start processing my certificate after saying “that’s it.”...and then five minutes later they get a call there’s an open seat somehow and I’m on board.

the pilots let another pilot sit in the jumpseat. So I had fun trying to find a place for my backpack on an e145 this morning. So close! Must be a busy travel day today after the long holiday weekend.

really got my hopes up when I saw I was protected when I woke up this morning. I don’t usually see that happen that far in advance.
That's the worst possible way to miss.

Not sure - I didn’t hang around the gate area. 4 people did clear off of standby, but if UA was smart, they would have put them on the 21-hour delayed flight at 3:15pm - that went out with F half-full and an A320 that was at least 80% empty in Y. My plan was to ‘volunteer’ to move to that flight if I got VDB’ed, but alas - no dice. Still enjoyed making it home earlier, though.
If standby pax were cleared, nobody was taken, unless the GA made a mistake of taking someone early and giving out a voucher..... but that doesn't happen anymore as they almost always close out the flight before processing the vouchers. The only thing better than getting home early is getting a VDB and still getting home early
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
UA 3762 AVP-ORD yesterday: As I was returning to the gate area from the restroom, I heard an announcement that they were oversold by 1, and that "If you are terminating in Chicago, we can give you a taxi voucher to Harrisburg (a 2 hour drive), confirm you on the 5:40PM to Chicago, and give you a $2,500 voucher." Somebody took it immediately.

I was preparing my counter offer of "I'll take it if you would put me up in a hotel at ORD (as I would likely miss the last connection to LAX) and confirm me in F for tomorrow morning." (I was in paid F.) Oh, well!!! This morning I can tease my co-workers about how close I came to selling them out for $2,500 is UA funny money!

Search this Thread