Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Old May 31, 19, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
Parents just boarded UA181 FRA-DEN and J is over by 1. Offer was immediately $10,000 ETC. Wish I was there to jump on that one.
..but one of your parents was...right?

...right!?
Old May 31, 19, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre &
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
..but one of your parents was...right?

...right!?
they were both in Y ... rebooked on that flight due to irrops.
Old May 31, 19, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just picked up $600 for the ORD-LGA I was booked on this morning! Over by four when I checked in at MCI this morning and it stayed full. Also came with a $10 food voucher which was put to good use at Tortas.

My first VDB in 4-5 years
iluv2fly, jsloan, RobOnLI and 4 others like this.
Old May 31, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Just picked up $600 for the ORD-LGA I was booked on this morning! Over by four when I checked in at MCI this morning and it stayed full. Also came with a $10 food voucher which was put to good use at Tortas.

My first VDB in 4-5 years
Seeing the above post that got 40k miles when the going rate was at $600...would you have taken 40,000 miles?

I always put in a dollar amount, but if I could get away with north of 25,000 miles, I'd begin to contemplate it more. Does anyone here have experience negotiating miles with a GA instead of dollars? Maybe 40,000 miles seems like less of a cost than $600.
Old May 31, 19, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seeing the above post that got 40k miles when the going rate was at $600...would you have taken 40,000 miles?
With the post-11/15 devaluation of MileagePlus miles, I would only recommend miles for passengers who rarely travel on an all-UA metal itinerary. 40K miles might be more valuable than $600 now (although UA claims otherwise), but it's hard to believe that'll still be true in six months' time.
Old May 31, 19, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

I always put in a dollar amount, but if I could get away with north of 25,000 miles, I'd begin to contemplate it more. Does anyone here have experience negotiating miles with a GA instead of dollars? Maybe 40,000 miles seems like less of a cost than $600.
I briefly thought about it when the app asked me at OLCI whether I wanted to add myself to the list. 40K RDMs is tempting, though as all of my travel is now self funded (haven’t had work travel since I switched jobs in 2016), I’d much rather have the voucher to assist with requalifying.

On a second note, I just VDB’d off the new flight which I had been rebooked on. Earned $500 this time! For just over a three hour arrival delay, I’m leaving ORD with $1,100 in vouchers
jsloan, RobOnLI, seanp7 and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a data point:

I flew EWR-MCI on Sunday night and though Y had a handful of empty seats, the app claimed it was oversold when I went to generate my BP. I had the following offers:

Miles: 12K/14K/16K
​​​​​​​Money: $600, $700, $800

I ended up having the entire exit row (A319) to myself, so not sure why it thought we were oversold. It had not been booked full the couple of times I checked prior to departure. Obviously in this case, had it been over, I would’ve taken the money over the miles..
Old Jun 4, 19, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so not sure why it thought we were oversold.
Plenty can change between check-in and departure. That said, it's better to have volunteers and not to need them than vice versa. UA has gotten extremely aggressive about collecting volunteers since they added in-app support.
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:29 pm

Just a data point:

I flew EWR-MCI on Sunday night and though Y had a handful of empty seats, the app claimed it was oversold when I went to generate my BP. I had the following offers:

Miles: 12K/14K/16K
Money: $600, $700, $800

I ended up having the entire exit row (A319) to myself, so not sure why it thought we were oversold. It had not been booked full the couple of times I checked prior to departure. Obviously in this case, had it been over, I would’ve taken the money over the miles..
I think every of my trips since about Feb (maybe earlier) has had at least one flight solicit bids. They're either just collecting data or lowering the threshold for 'oversold' a lot. On the last one, I asked at the UC whether they were really oversold, and I got a vague answer that sounded a lot like no.
Old Jun 4, 19, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I think every of my trips since about Feb (maybe earlier) has had at least one flight solicit bids. They're either just collecting data or lowering the threshold for 'oversold' a lot. On the last one, I asked at the UC whether they were really oversold, and I got a vague answer that sounded a lot like no.
I have been offered only one buy out for a "over sold" flight since Jan 1 and agreed to take the cash, however, when it came time to actually collect they told me to board that I "wasn't needed". The whole thing did create a bit of a hassle as I was a window seat and had to board basically last. A bit surprised you have been hit up on so many flights. BTW, the offer was at the gate, not at check in.
Old Jun 4, 19, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Last Saturday, EWR-LHR, they came on board near departure time and announced a $5000 voucher to anyone who would take a three-hour later flight. A woman, another guy and I ran up. The woman, who was first, had checked baggage, so they wouldn't take her. Unfortunately (for me), the second person had no luggage and was there before me. He got VDB's for the 5G's. Big bummer for me. Could have gone the next day even.
brp1264 and jjmoore like this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 6:02 pm

6.3 $2,000 ord-ewr

6am Monday morning ORD-EWR, no option at check-in, overheard some people rejecting offers as boarding neared, as I was just starting to line up with 1Ks, gate agent announced offer increase to $2,000. I hurdled the ropes and snagged it offering to fly 6am next day, gave up 1E on the original flight and they gave me 1F to LGA on today's flight. I hope this happens EVERY Monday!!!
RobOnLI, seanp7, onthesam and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Last Saturday, EWR-LHR, they came on board near departure time and announced a $5000 voucher to anyone who would take a three-hour later flight. A woman, another guy and I ran up. The woman, who was first, had checked baggage, so they wouldn't take her. Unfortunately (for me), the second person had no luggage and was there before me. He got VDB's for the 5G's. Big bummer for me. Could have gone the next day even.
Did you ask the GA prior to boarding if they needed any volunteers? Even if the kiosk or app doesn't ask, I always do. Even if they say no, I always say, "If the situation changes, I have a pretty flexible schedule." Then the GA will remember "that guy who asked." Sometimes it leads to being asked first without announcing to the gate, other times it has led me to an E+ seat further up front.
canadiancow and nomad420 like this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 9:35 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
Did you ask the GA prior to boarding if they needed any volunteers? Even if the kiosk or app doesn't ask, I always do. Even if they say no, I always say, "If the situation changes, I have a pretty flexible schedule." Then the GA will remember "that guy who asked." Sometimes it leads to being asked first without announcing to the gate, other times it has led me to an E+ seat further up front.
I have done this as well. They almost always love the offer and just as you stated I have been bestowed some slight additional "perks" if it doesn't happen. I have found they appreciate the kind act.... no surprise. As often pointed out here being a GA is no easy job.
Old Jun 5, 19, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Great offer - physically running in the aisles?

To give us entertainment color - what rows did each of you start? Any pushing or elbowing?

Gate agent should say when announcing "no checked bags please"!

Things were really gummed up after those storms three days. My EWR-MUC looked oversold asked online for volunteers, but ended up late due to inbound and with a short connection / wanting to be there on time I bailed for JFK-MUC and never saw the outcome.

Search this Thread