Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Old Apr 19, 19, 5:08 pm
  #136  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Got $2k this morning for EWR-FLL

I was in J for the 10.15 flight to FLL. Got to the gate and they were offering $2k to go at 8.30 pm. I said if you can get me on the 11 AM to PBI you have a deal. Had to take a downgrade toY but got an emergency exit row(21). My luggage went to FLL and was still on carousel when my uber got me there(paid by United as well). I was on the J strictly because I would get 54k miles for a mile challenge. They said they would still honor it and give me a refund for the difference between J and Y. But why should I have to have been a Y as that will limit my refund. Any thoughts in getting the amount of refund increased?
seanp7 likes this.
chillster is offline  
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:41 pm
  #137  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,264
Originally Posted by chillster View Post
I was in J for the 10.15 flight to FLL. Got to the gate and they were offering $2k to go at 8.30 pm. I said if you can get me on the 11 AM to PBI you have a deal. Had to take a downgrade toY but got an emergency exit row(21). My luggage went to FLL and was still on carousel when my uber got me there(paid by United as well). I was on the J strictly because I would get 54k miles for a mile challenge. They said they would still honor it and give me a refund for the difference between J and Y. But why should I have to have been a Y as that will limit my refund. Any thoughts in getting the amount of refund increased?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

First of all, the gate agents will have nothing to do with promotional mile earnings. I would take anything they tell you with a huge grain of salt.

In general, you can get a refund, and credit for the class of service that you actually flew, or Original Routing Credit (ORC), but not both. What are the conditions of the promo? It's likely that if it posts properly, they won't go claw it back after an adjustment, but they could if the refunded booking doesn't meet the promo. If the promo requires travel in the premium cabin, you'll probably need to call or write for ORC in order to trigger the promo in the first place.

UA tends to provide refunds against the cost of a Y fare as a general policy. If you can show that a different delta existed on the date that you booked the flight, you may be able to get them to honor that. That said: $2K plus the cost of the Über was probably quite a bit more than the fare anyway... it may not be worth trying to argue the rest of it, especially if it means missing out on your promo.
jsloan is offline  
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:05 pm
  #138  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: IAD
Programs: United, AA, Hilton
Posts: 325
IAD-ROC 1230pm flight, bumped to 10pm on American Airlines DCA-ROC, they paid for me to get to DCA and $1000 United Voucher.

Last edited by soccerguy985; Jun 11, 19 at 9:19 pm Reason: I'm an idiot
soccerguy985 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:30 pm
  #139  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 272
4/8 ORD - BZN, My son and I and 3 other volunteers all received $2,000 each, with 10 hour delay but no forced overnight.
jsloan, jb64, BThumme and 1 others like this.
shdflyer is offline  
Old Apr 24, 19, 8:53 am
  #140  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,680
Originally Posted by soccerguy985 View Post
American Airlines DCA-IAD
Was it a full flight? :-p
threeoh is offline  
Old Apr 24, 19, 11:54 am
  #141  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,370
April 14
UA4717 STL-DEN

* At ticket counter, kiosk was asking for volunteers, $800 and flight the next day
* At the gate, the GA said that I would most likely be needed
* During boarding, a family had some issues at the scanner, and new BPs were issued to them
* At final boarding, GA said that one person is going to miss their flight, so I should board
* She also noted that she had to cancel my seating assignment (9A), and to go sit in 19C (no new boarding pass issued to me), turns out the wife in point #3 got my 9A; I sat next to her husband
* GA also said to speak to someone in DEN about receiving compensation since I got a worse seat
* DEN customer service counters were packed with people due to weather issues at ORD and EWR; I skip the lines and went home, and I sent an e-mail the following morning
* Received e-mail today saying 3750 miles will be added to my account

Better than nothing, I suppose.
pseudoswede is offline  
Old Apr 24, 19, 12:02 pm
  #142  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,680
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
* At final boarding, GA said that one person is going to miss their flight, so I should board
* She also noted that she had to cancel my seating assignment (9A), and to go sit in 19C (no new boarding pass issued to me), turns out the wife in point #3 got my 9A; I sat next to her husband
Not that it's a big deal with a short flight, but if her husband was in 19B did you ask if she wanted to take your 19C and you take her (your original) 9A?
threeoh is offline  
Old Apr 24, 19, 12:24 pm
  #143  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,370
Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Not that it's a big deal with a short flight, but if her husband was in 19B did you ask if she wanted to take your 19C and you take her (your original) 9A?
I really didn't think about it until after takeoff. I figured if hubby really wanted wifey to sit next to him, he would've asked as I was about to sit down. Instead, he slept a bit and read a magazine. I watched a downloaded movie on my phone. It was an ERJ-145, so it wasn't like I was giving up an E+ seat.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Apr 24, 19 at 12:33 pm
pseudoswede is offline  
Old Apr 25, 19, 1:12 pm
  #144  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PWM
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 853
Originally Posted by shdflyer View Post
4/8 ORD - BZN, My son and I and 3 other volunteers all received $2,000 each, with 10 hour delay but no forced overnight.
Congrats! Btw how did you spend your 10 hours?
sexykitten7 is offline  
Old May 1, 19, 9:19 am
  #145  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YYZ
Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Titanium; National Exec Elite
Posts: 31
I see most people accepting VDB are doing it with a voucher compensation.

Anybody know the award mile conversion they use to rank lowest bids from the app? Where would 20,000 point rank?

Edit: I did bid for 40,000 points (range offered was about 14k) for a 3 hour delay PHX-ORD-YYZ. I really don't want to do it but I'll happily take 40k points if it comes to that.

Last edited by kiloohm; May 1, 19 at 9:31 am
kiloohm is offline  
Old May 1, 19, 12:34 pm
  #146  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YYZ
Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Titanium; National Exec Elite
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by kiloohm View Post
I did bid for 40,000 points (range offered was about 14k) for a 3 hour delay PHX-ORD-YYZ. I really don't want to do it but I'll happily take 40k points if it comes to that.
They were offering $600 at the gate and they accepted my bid at 40,000 miles.
seanp7 and BThumme like this.
kiloohm is offline  
Old May 1, 19, 6:25 pm
  #147  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: UA MP
Posts: 1,515
SFO-ORD on April 23rd (2 PM departure) was oversold and they were offering $500 for the 5PM flight and $800 for the 6PM flight.

Had just come in from Korea and didn't want to spend an extra few hours for $800 so didn't bother.
acregal is offline  
Old May 2, 19, 12:04 pm
  #148  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: CLE
Programs: UA, AA Gold, DL, WN, Hertz 5Star, Hilton Silver
Posts: 353
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post
CLE-MCO 3/23. They needed 1 volunteer, I was called to the podium and offered $2000 travel voucher. Spring break plane full of families with small children going to Disney, and none of them were jumping at the initial $1000 offer. Had to decline since I needed to be at work that afternoon...
Wow! That is a considerable amount for flights out of CLE. When I was flying UA more often, I think I topped out at $300 going out of CLE (although I often got higher amounts for flights IN to CLE... never quite understood why).
plinth857 is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 3:24 am
  #149  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MCO
Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre &
Posts: 2,652
Another $10,000 Voucher

Parents just boarded UA181 FRA-DEN and J is over by 1. Offer was immediately $10,000 ETC. Wish I was there to jump on that one.
jsloan, onthesam and BThumme like this.
jjmoore is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 6:40 am
  #150  
LIH
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: ORD | LGA | 2E
Programs: UA GS 1.4MM UC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz 5*PC
Posts: 655
Was at DCA yesterday and, while not my flight, the DCA > EWR flight at the next gate had a down-gauge and the GA made the announcement that they needed volunteers from both F and Y to deal with the overbooking. She mentioned "around $500 per person in Y". I was boarding so didn't see if that escalated. She didn't articulate how many volunteers they needed but even if it looked like at E175 so maybe that was supposed to be an A319?
LIH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread