FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1948764-2019-ua-mp-elite-status-buy-up-offers-higher-status-than-earned-2018-a.html)

MrGood Jan 2, 2019 2:36 pm

2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018)

Awaiting the UA upgrade/buy-up offers for 2019 status! I am Gold with 114k PQM, 70 PQS & $8545 PQD. This is my 1st year starting out as Gold, and before year's end I plan to qualify for 1K. I travel for leisure with my companion (who's Platinum :D) and book within 1 week or less for all flights, all based out of EWR and PHL and most of them going to Central America. We plan to use my companion's 2 RPU's for a different destination such as TC or Hawaii, and I'm considering the buy up to enjoy the easier upgrades & 2 extra RPU's on the way to 1K -- however I'm not too sure if it's worth it?

Jay

1/11/19 Update: The promotion is now active!! My offer for Platinum is $599, which initially seems like a good deal compared to other offers... NO IDEA how they calibrate the cost though :confused:

bmw303 Jan 11, 2019 8:27 pm

$290 short of 1K; over PQM. Offer was $999.

elbejt2 Jan 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Total PQM balance: 87,xxx
2018 Total PQS balance: 82
2018 Total PQD balance: $15,xxx
Premier 1K status for 2019 $3,4xx

ekwang Jan 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Nothing for me. But I only made Silver last year. I did spend enough to waive the PQD requirement though. Oh well, maybe next year.

Repooc17 Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm

$1K for me to buy up to Plat. - basically the gap between my actual PQD last year ($8K) and the Plat PQD requirement (of $9K). I earned over 120K in PQM last year.

Not going to happen. RPUs are useless for me (mostly hub-to-hub travels), and I would still get BG1 as Gold. I will just take the $1K and buy F fares outright.

Originally Posted by MrGood (Post 30600930)
Awaiting the UA upgrade/buy-up offers for 2019 status! I am Gold with 114k PQM, 70 PQS & $8545 PQD. This is my 1st year starting out as Gold, and before year's end I plan to qualify for 1K. I travel for leisure with my companion (who's Platinum :D) and book within 1 week or less for all flights, all based out of EWR and PHL and most of them going to Central America. We plan to use my companion's 2 RPU's for a different destination such as TC or Hawaii, and I'm considering the buy up to enjoy the easier upgrades & 2 extra RPU's on the way to 1K -- however I'm not too sure if it's worth it?

Jay

1/11/19 Update: The promotion is now active!! My offer for Platinum is $599, which initially seems like a good deal compared to other offers... NO IDEA how they calibrate the cost though :confused:

I am sure you are aware to get to 1K for 2020, you would have to spend $15K in PQD this year in 2019.

JHake10 Jan 11, 2019 10:16 pm

I have the PQM for 1K but am short ~2k PQD. I have no offer.

WineCountryUA Jan 11, 2019 10:20 pm

See https://promotions.united.com/offers/premierstatus for your offer

Note -- in past years, if you were more the 15K PQM short there was no offer
There is probably a similiarPQD limit

mathprof Jan 11, 2019 10:56 pm

108k PQM, qualified for platinum from Chase card waiver, super short of 1K on PQD: under $8000. No offer for me.

MrGood Jan 12, 2019 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 30644046)
I am sure you are aware to get to 1K for 2020, you would have to spend $15K in PQD this year in 2019.

Yeah, it's a stretch from gold for sure right? But I was seeing if UA was going to be my preferred airline...I'm satisfied with how well they've treated me, so now I'm going for what I was always going to aim for (1K) ^ (and not sure if 1K's value holds after the $3k PQD increase, but methinks that's for another thread)

Still trying to figure out if the platinum buy-up offer's worth taking though?? I do plan to get the status around Q3 anyway..

Kacee Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by MrGood (Post 30644944)
Still trying to figure out if the platinum buy-up offer's worth taking though?? I do plan to get the status around Q3 anyway..

Not in my opinion. What's the perceived extra value to you?

WineCountryUA Jan 12, 2019 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MrGood (Post 30644944)
... Still trying to figure out if the platinum buy-up offer's worth taking though?? ..

This thread has a list of the benefit differences which may help you.

bmw303 Jan 12, 2019 12:31 pm

Jay

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30645589)
Not in my opinion. What's the perceived extra value to you?

MrGood: Your question is whether it makes sense to pay $599 now for the incremental benefit of Platinum over Gold for your flights up til 2019 Q3.

$599 could make sense. We value RPUs at about $100 each here, but I think there is added value of getting them directly from united , so from United would value at about $125-150 each. Thats about $250-300 in the regionals alone. Then you get added miles. Since you said you will make platinum in Q3, that means you will spend $8.99k as a Gold (should you not take this offer). As a platinum, you get 1 mile more per dollar over Gold which means you would earn an additional 9k miles, which I value at 1.5c each so about $135.

So we already have value between $390-440.

Then you have reduced fee changes for awards, higher complimentary upgrade priority, +7 Econ Plus companions over Gold, higher standby priority, some additional luggage allowance. If you take 2 companions on an international trip for example, the E+ value of that 2nd companion would bring your expected benefit over $600.

If you're asking is $599 reasonable surcharge over Gold and COULD you realize more than $599 of value over Gold, I think the answer is yes to both, but whether you WILL realize more value than $599 depends, as Kacee said, on your projected flying and needs for 2019.

If you WILL or think you probably will realize more value, then accept the offer. If you will not, then decline. If you're unsure, then also consider the time value of money which may push you to say no.

drewguy Jan 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Jay

$1K for me to buy up to Plat. - basically the gap between my actual PQD last year ($8K) and the Plat PQD requirement (of $9K). I earned over 120K in PQM last year.

Not going to happen. RPUs are useless for me (mostly hub-to-hub travels), and I would still get BG1 as Gold. I will just take the $1K and buy F fares outright.

Seems like a pretty good deal - pay the money you otherwise would have had to pay (or would have had to spend on a PQD run).

raehl311 Jan 12, 2019 1:40 pm

Yeah I don't think I see $1k in value there either if your travel takes upgrades off the table... you'd get another 9,000 miles (so ~$180 depending how you value them) after that just some lower award fees and higher SDC/standby priority.

Jay

Looks like they're just charging you for your PQD shortage. As above, you'll get an extra 9,000 RDM on the way to your first $9,000 PQD next year, so if you think the RPUs are worth ~$200 each you're at break-even. Plus a little higher upgrade priority, and a little better fees on award travel changes.

I'd probably do it.

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 30646057)
Seems like a pretty good deal - pay the money you otherwise would have had to pay (or would have had to spend on a PQD run).

I disagree - while (as above) it's feasible to get $600 of additional value out of being Plat instead of gold, I think most would have a hard time finding an additional $1k in value of being Plat over Gold.

Which is more about how little incremental value there is in being Plat over Gold than anything.... if you're going to make Platinum anyway, great, a few more RDM and upgrade priority, but if not, Gold is just fine.

And now that I'm confronting how little additional value there really is for Plat over Gold, I'm realizing I should really ditch my Presidential Plus card for a Club card. (I'd been using the extra EQM to get to Plat from Gold when I was traveling a bit less, but I'd be much better off with the additional RDM I think.)

lalato Jan 12, 2019 4:03 pm

1K for 2018, down to Gold for 2019 (and not close to Platinum in PQD or PQM). I checked the promotion link to see what the offer would be (for ..... and giggles)... $2999 for Platinum.

Much better to spend that on a vacation. Best of luck to everyone else.