Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018)

2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 28, 19, 5:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
See https://promotions.united.com/offers/premierstatus for your offer (NOW OPERATIONAL for 2019)

In recent years, in January (typically the second week or so), UA has offered status-buy programs. Generally, UA has limited to no more than an additional 15K PQMs or 15 PQSs ( and similar limits for PQDs).

Past year programs
January 2013 17 Jan 2013
January 2014 13 Jan 2014
January 2015 12 Jan 2015
January 2016 19 Jan 2016
2017 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2016) 20 Jan 2017
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017) 24 Jan 2018,
2019 -- 11 Jan 2019

Buy up ≈ MAX(rounded PQM gap fee, rounded PQD gap)
Those rules seem to work >90% of the reported cases. (at least in 2017,2016,2015)
Code:
PQM gap chart for earlier years
to Silver to Gold to Plat to 1K
1K $199 $299 $349 N/A
2K $349 $499 $649 $999
3K $499 $649 $849 $1,399
4K $649 $799 $999 $1,699
5K $799 $949 $1,149 $1,949
6K $949 $1,099 $1,299 $2,199
7K $1,099 $1,249 $1,449 $2,449
8K $1,249 $1,399 $1,599 $2,699
9K $1,399 $1,549 $1,749 $2,949
10K $1,549 $1,699 $1,899 $3,149
11K $1,699 $1,849 $2,049 $3,349
12K $1,849 $1,999 $2,199 $3,549
13K $1,999 $2,149 $2,349 $3,749
14K $2,149 $2,299 $2,499 $3,949
15K $2,299 $2,449 $2,649 $4,149
Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jan 21, 19, 9:59 am
  #61  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 19,887
Originally Posted by nsummy View Post
The part where if I had hit PQD then United would have had to provide a service (i.e. flying me somewhere) for the $550. I understand the qualifications of the program, but if they are going offer these buy-up offers they should at least make them appealing.
Why?

After all these years, how can you come to the conclusion that the airlines are in the business of making you feel better?

They're in the business of increasing revenue. When flyers don't qualify on regular rules, they offer a chance to get status for a price. They have absolutely no interest at all in discounting that price just to make you feel better.
DenverBrian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:13 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
beleive Premier Silver can, but not Gold or higher (for themselves).
I'd be pretty surprised if you couldn't buy an E+ subscription for you and 8 companions for yourself as a gold.
VWang1111 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:49 am
  #63  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 44,854
Originally Posted by VWang1111 View Post
I'd be pretty surprised if you couldn't buy an E+ subscription for you and 8 companions for yourself as a gold.
This is the message you get
Your MileagePlus Premier Gold status already entitles you to the benefit of this subscription
even if you select online the +8 option

Perhaps if you call they call workaround if for the +8 option
WineCountryUA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 2:54 pm
  #64  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 19,887
You can still gift E+ subscriptions, yes?
DenverBrian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 2:57 pm
  #65  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 44,854
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
You can still gift E+ subscriptions, yes?
Elite or not, yes
DenverBrian likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 7:00 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Paying for 1K status?

Got an e-mail from United offering me to pay for 1K status (for $2800) in 2019. I'm Platinum this year - should I even consider this offer or is it a waste of time?

I just switched from Delta to United last year, so still learning the ins and outs.
biotch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 7:08 am
  #67  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 44,854
Welcome to FT!, biotch
Originally Posted by biotch View Post
Paying for 1K status?
Got an e-mail from United offering me to pay for 1K status (for $2800) in 2019. I'm Platinum this year - should I even consider this offer or is it a waste of time?.
Some information on the benefit differences can be found in the wiki / top post of
Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
WineCountryUA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 7:09 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: JAPAN
Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 5,428
Originally Posted by biotch View Post
Got an e-mail from United offering me to pay for 1K status (for $2800) in 2019. I'm Platinum this year - should I even consider this offer or is it a waste of time?

I just switched from Delta to United last year, so still learning the ins and outs.
To obtain 1K from scratch will most likely cost more than $ 2,800. So in that respect it would not be unrealistic.You already are Platinum so you need to be the judge if 1K is $ 2,800 worth.
If I remember correctly there is a separate thread addressing the Platinum to 1K situation. Try to google it.
Added : I found it. Look for :

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]

Exleftseat is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 7:10 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: JAPAN
Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 5,428
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Welcome to FT!, biotch
Some information on the benefit differences can be found in the wiki / top post of
Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Beat me to it!
Exleftseat is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 7:21 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
Beat me to it!
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
To obtain 1K from scratch will most likely cost more than $ 2,800. So in that respect it would not be unrealistic.You already are Platinum so you need to be the judge if 1K is $ 2,800 worth.
If I remember correctly there is a separate thread addressing the Platinum to 1K situation. Try to google it.
Added : I found it. Look for :

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]

Thank you!
biotch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 7:43 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Programs: UA Platinum (1MM), Marriott Plat Premier, Hertz PC
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by nsummy View Post
2018 Total PQM balance: 28,654
2018 Total PQS balance: 30
2018 Total PQD balance: $2,449
Buy up to Silver: $600

The offer is an absolute slap in the face (especially considering the guy above me was significantly further away from all qualifiers and got the offer for only 200 more). Sadly though I am considering paying it. I don't know why.
Originally Posted by nsummy View Post
The part where if I had hit PQD then United would have had to provide a service (i.e. flying me somewhere) for the $550. I understand the qualifications of the program, but if they are going offer these buy-up offers they should at least make them appealing. Judging by some of the others offers posted on here, they aren't exactly uniform. United could have easily split the difference and offered $300.
Why would anyone strive to complete 100% of the qualification requirements if they knew UA was going to offer them a discounted buy up in Jan? I think most of us here expect to pay a premium for the buy up if we didn't satisfy all the requirements the usual way. In your case, your premium is only $49 above what you would have had to spend on PQD the old fashioned way, plus taxes on that fare. The last $560 ticket I bought had $89 in taxes, which don't count as PQD. You didn't have to buy gas to drive to an airport, pay to park your car, and spend a day of your free time flying from here to there just for the sake of a mileage run to qualify; and you got to do all that for a "premium" that is less than the tax you would have paid if you had flown, and you got to spend a day doing something other than making a mileage run. To me, this is a win-win. If you want to be a Silver, I think you should take the offer and consider yourself as one of the few winners of the buy up program!

I guess one man's slap is another man's good deal.

Last edited by Nihon_Ni; Jan 22, 19 at 7:51 am
Nihon_Ni is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 10:11 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by Nihon_Ni View Post
Why would anyone strive to complete 100% of the qualification requirements if they knew UA was going to offer them a discounted buy up in Jan? I think most of us here expect to pay a premium for the buy up if we didn't satisfy all the requirements the usual way. In your case, your premium is only $49 above what you would have had to spend on PQD the old fashioned way, plus taxes on that fare. The last $560 ticket I bought had $89 in taxes, which don't count as PQD. You didn't have to buy gas to drive to an airport, pay to park your car, and spend a day of your free time flying from here to there just for the sake of a mileage run to qualify; and you got to do all that for a "premium" that is less than the tax you would have paid if you had flown, and you got to spend a day doing something other than making a mileage run. To me, this is a win-win. If you want to be a Silver, I think you should take the offer and consider yourself as one of the few winners of the buy up program!

I guess one man's slap is another man's good deal.
I understand paying a premium if you are short miles or segments, that makes perfect sense. If you are short PQD though? Not so much. If I had spent the $550 plus taxes the old fashioned way, at least I would have flown somewhere. Yes it would have cost me time, parking, etc. It also would have cost United too. I could have checked 100 lbs worth of bags, taken up an E+ seat that they theoretically could have sold, earned miles, etc. This isn't a one sided thing that United is throwing me a bone here. And sadly one of the main reasons I am even considering this offer is to access the premier line at customer service. That alone has saved me hours when United has the inevitable delay or other problem.

Look, I get it, airlines are in business to make money, and its a race to the bottom. United isn't any worse than the rest. I just have to start drawing the line when I flat out pay a fee for loyalty, as if I am paying Tony Soprano a tribute with an envelope full of cash.
nsummy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 2:07 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 6,689
Another coworker easily exceeded 1K spend but fell about 4500 short of Gold PQM (short-haul, short-notice warrior; lots of E/M fares) due to some late-year family commitments. He received a $1549 buy-up offer to Gold. Sheesh!

Seems stingy this time around... is 2019 finally the year UA attempts to cull the Premier ranks?
EWR764 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 19, 12:48 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
PQS:113
PQD: $21,400
1K buy-up: $2500

Very disappointing considering how far over PQD I was. I feel like I already paid for my buy up and then some. I emailed UA and they wouldn’t budge. So, called AA and they challenge matched me to Plat. Exec. for no charge. I’ve done 7 flights already and couldn’t be happier I switched. $2,500 money grab cost UA 22k in recurring spend.
joe_miami likes this.
Warcamel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 19, 7:02 pm
  #75  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 19,887
Originally Posted by Warcamel View Post
PQS:113
PQD: $21,400
1K buy-up: $2500

Very disappointing considering how far over PQD I was. I feel like I already paid for my buy up and then some. I emailed UA and they wouldn’t budge. So, called AA and they challenge matched me to Plat. Exec. for no charge. I’ve done 7 flights already and couldn’t be happier I switched. $2,500 money grab cost UA 22k in recurring spend.
Welcome to FT! An interesting example of a relative rarity - someone who can easily switch between UA and AA. Chicago-based, perhaps?
DenverBrian is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread