Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking partner Premium Economy (R) on UA.com - Issue with projected mileage earning?

Booking partner Premium Economy (R) on UA.com - Issue with projected mileage earning?

Old Dec 20, 18, 12:23 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at booking a flight for next year, and found a good option for Premium Economy operated by Air Canada (booked with UA, though). However, it seems that the PQM allowance is way off:

Premium economy options operated by Lufthansa seem to give PQMs in line with expectations (more than economy, less than business).

Is this a bug on the website, or UA policy?
Old Dec 20, 18, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Katamarino View Post
Is this a bug on the website, or UA policy?
I expect it's a defect on the website, but you'd need to know the specific booking class that will be used on Air Canada to be sure.
Katamarino likes this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ
It’s a bug. All AC PY earn 150%
Katamarino and begemot like this.
Old Dec 20, 18, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
UA provided preflight info on partner earnings is notoriously unreliable, whether on the website or your e-ticket receipt.
Old Dec 20, 18, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's a bug. If it can't find the booking class in a lookup table, it returns 0. They haven't updated the table for all partner PE yet.
Katamarino and begemot like this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 10:50 am
Original Poster

To update on this: I called United and they told me that booking class "R", which this books into, is not eligible to receive PQMs or PQSs. Seems very odd, given that if I pay less and go economy, I'd get PQM and PQS.
begemot likes this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ
To update on this: I called United and they told me that booking class "R", which this books into, is not eligible to receive PQMs or PQSs. Seems very odd, given that if I pay less and go economy, I'd get PQM and PQS.
An ill informed agent, this R will probably book into N on AC. Iím not even sure if AC uses R for anything.
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
To update on this: I called United and they told me that booking class "R", which this books into, is not eligible to receive PQMs or PQSs. ....
If you asked about R fare on AC, the agent was correct but you asked the wrong question.

What you see on united.com is the UA fare class. For earning questions, you need to know the fare class on the operating carrier. And UA's new R does not map to AC's R, more likely as suggested by the earlier post, it maps into N. So the question should have been what is the AC fare class (which the agent may not be able to see) and what does N fare ear on AC?

To find the AC fare class you may need to call AC.

Below is standard statement on all the mileage earning pages of united.

The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class. This could result in differences between the purchased booking class and the booking class flown, which determines the number of base and Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned.
begemot likes this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. I didn't ask about R fare class, I just booked it and then asked them about that flight on my booking. The email confirmation and booking on the United site show 0 too.

The agent had me on hold about 10 minutes to "look things up". Ultimately it won't make a difference to my status for the year, so I'll see what happens!
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
The email confirmation and booking on the United site show 0 too.
As stated above, never believe what United tells you about partner earnings.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
As stated above, never believe what United tells you about partner earnings.
They can't even get their own earnings right in the pre-departure information.

You've got to consult the MP earnings pages to figure out what a flight earns.
Old Dec 29, 18, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
Is there a partner confirmation number? Use that number to pull up the itinerary on AC to find more details about the fare code.
Old Dec 29, 18, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Here's the data from the Air Canada site:

I bought the ticket directly off the UA site as it is, I didn't use any upgrades or anything.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 18 at 12:36 am Reason: repair image
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Is there a partner confirmation number? Use that number to pull up the itinerary on AC to find more details about the fare code.
depends on how this was booked.

If booked as a UA codeshare with UA flight number on AC metal, my experience is the AC site will simply repeat the same information based on the codeshare. Calling AC will be the only way to get the true AC fare class. I think Expertflyer can also map the fare basis.
Old Dec 30, 18, 12:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Here's the data from the Air Canada site:

I bought the ticket directly off the UA site as it is, I didn't use any upgrades or anything.
On the AC site it is reporting a UA codeshare and a UA fare class. Call and ask AC for their fare class. The UA fare class is not the right piece of information.
Katamarino likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 18 at 12:37 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: