Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking partner Premium Economy (R) on UA.com - Issue with projected mileage earning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking partner Premium Economy (R) on UA.com - Issue with projected mileage earning?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Josh Tahmasebi
Looks like they are booked as codeshare since I'm seeing UA flight numbers on both United and Lufthansa site.
If codeshare, those are correct fare classes for a codeshare. The actual LH fare class for likely N and is mileage earning. It is LH that reports the miles to be posted and there have not been reports on posting errors.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If codeshare, those are correct fare classes for a codeshare. The actual LH fare class for likely N and is mileage earning. It is LH that reports the miles to be posted and there have not been reports on posting errors.
Great. I will report back if anything doesn't post as my flight is May. Appreciate the response.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
answered my own question...
Old May 15, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
Is LH N (LH metal on UA codeshare booked as R) posting at 100% PQM? ....
That is what LH is offering
G & E get 150%

Not the first time, UA and LH have had different PQM earnings for the "same" fare on their respective metal.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
R fare on LH does not show 150% bonus PQM/PQS

I booked an open jaw with the TATL portion from BOS to FRA, booked on UA travel on LH metal. Premium economy was considerably less expensive than any Y fares, so PE it was. (Still not sure the logic there, per their seat map Y is only about half-sold yet the cheapest seat in Y is significantly more expensive than PE.) It booked in to R and by my reading that should yield an additional 50% PQM and an additional 0.5 segments but on .bomb it shows the simple accrual of the mileage without the bonus. Has anyone else seen this? Might it get updated before the flight, and if so should I simply wait to see what gets posted and then complain if I get shorted?

Related question: has anyone had any luck upgrading from PE to J on LH using a GPU? I have a 1K friend who thinks they have extras.

Last edited by vitira; Jun 10, 2019 at 11:42 am Reason: Clarifying I booked on UA.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vitira
It booked in to R and by my reading that should yield an additional 50% PQM and an additional 0.5 segments but on .bomb it shows the simple accrual of the mileage without the bonus. Has anyone else seen this? Might it get updated before the flight, and if so should I simply wait to see what gets posted and then complain if I get shorted?

Related question: has anyone had any luck upgrading from PE to J on LH using a GPU? I have a 1K friend who thinks they have extras.
Your reading is incorrect. The mileage will accrue based upon the operating carrier. UA R class maps to LH N class. You should earn 100%.

The news gets worse, I’m afraid. LH N class is not eligible for upgrade with a UA GPU.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:56 am

I booked an open jaw with the TATL portion from BOS to FRA, booked on UA travel on LH metal. Premium economy was considerably less expensive than any Y fares, so PE it was. (Still not sure the logic there, per their seat map Y is only about half-sold yet the cheapest seat in Y is significantly more expensive than PE.) It booked in to R and by my reading that should yield an additional 50% PQM and an additional 0.5 segments but on .bomb it shows the simple accrual of the mileage without the bonus. Has anyone else seen this? Might it get updated before the flight, and if so should I simply wait to see what gets posted and then complain if I get shorted? ...
What matters for earning is the LH fare class and UA codeshare R fare maps to LH N fare class which is only 100% PQM earning

has anyone had any luck upgrading from PE to J on LH using a GPU? I have a 1K friend who thinks they have extras.
Yes, but not on the lowest LH PE fare --- UA codeshare R fare maps to LH N fare class which is not upgradeable (plus you would have to get UA to change to LH flight number)

While R on UA metal is upgradeable, N on LH metal is not.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Continental
Premium economy on LH booked on UA site

I'm looking at buying a premium economy ticket JFK-MAD RT on LH through the UA website.
It is showing me an R fare, but only 100% not 150% PQM.
Is that correct?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, assuming it is a UA flight on LH metal (codeshare). UA R is LH N, which earns 100% and is not GPU eligible.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:35 pm

Thanks. I the LH PNR says R on it, but I figured that it must be booking into LH N.

Would it be better to simply book it on LH and use the MP number?
Would I be able to choose a seat then?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 16, 2019 at 6:11 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Would it be better to simply book it on LH and use the MP number?
Would I be able to choose a seat then?
Do you care about PQD? The earnings would be different if booked on LH stock.

You should be able to select a seat by calling LH; if this is the biggest issue I would try that first.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:42 pm

Pqd isn't an issue due to foreign address, just pqm.
I'll try calling first. Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you pricing the trip using LH.com? I have found that sometimes an 'E' fare is cheaper than 'N'.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TomMM
Have you pricing the trip using LH.com? I have found that sometimes an 'E' fare is cheaper than 'N'.
This. When you book PE on LH.com, they offer more fare choices than booking on UA.com.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
Interesting. Thanks. Maybe I should have taken the double-connection via EWR and DUB on a 787-10 in the same class on UA metal.

Alas, my friend who works for Swissport reports

The cabin capacities are 8/80/32/244 and the bookings are 4/59/36/260 at this moment

So I guess it depends on what the fares are for the Y tickets and how many upgrades they sell at the gate (or to people on upgrade-eligible fares). Sadly I think I may be pretty far down the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.