Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Update 10/29/2021:

Per the Chicago Tribune, quoting a spokesperson from the Chicago Department of Aviation, the ATS is set to reopen "within the month".
---

On October 18, 2019, the Chicago Department of Avaition announced that the People Mover / Airport Transit System (ATS) will remain closed until at least early 2020.

From the official ORD airport site

Transportation Between Terminals (ATS & TTB)
The O’Hare Airport Transit System (ATS or “people mover) is closed 24/7 to finalize modernization efforts and expansion of the system.

In order to maintain a travel connection between all of O’Hare’s terminals and parking lots, the CDA will operate shuttle buses to transport passengers and employees between terminals (Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5) and from the terminals to each economy parking lot (Lots E, G, H); the Multi-Modal Facility, where rental cars are housed; and the Metra O’Hare Transfer station. The buses will operate continuously to ensure prompt and reliable service while the ATS is closed.

If connecting between domestic Terminals 1, 2 & 3, you DON’T have to take the shuttle buses, you can walk. Simply follow in-airport signage.

The CDA is committed to providing a quick and reliable bus shuttle service as the ATS modernization is finalized. The new ATS is scheduled to open sometime in 2020..
This has been a long-planned / announced Airport Transit System (ATS) Improvement Project

For airside T3 to T5 transfers - AND EFFECTIVE 6/14/2019 T1 to T5 Transfers
you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminals 1 and 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm. If you are arriving into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service. Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
Gate B1
Gate G17
Gate K20
Gate L24
You must have your onward (international) BP and Passport in order to board the TTB from either T1 or T3 to T5.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 and will need to take the ATS {shuttle bus transfer service} to the domestic terminals. You will need to clear security again at the domestic terminals.

Print Wikipost

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA GS/1Mil Flyer, Pond scum on everything else.
And not at all a safe walk. No sidewalks.... don't do it.
onthesam and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by east_west
Is there any reasonable option to walk from T5 to T1?
No. You'd never survive.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Google Maps says it’s a 50 minute walk.
Google maps has you walking in middle of the commercial vehicle access road instead of the more direct walk down I-190 .

Needless to say, not walkable.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That prompts me to wonder, how much would it cost to build an airside pedestrian bridge from T5 to T3? And how much is it going to cost to have all of this shuttle bussing from start to finish? Of course there are many other logistical complexities involved, I am sure.

But a ped bridge would make for some great plane spotting.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Any bridge - airside or outside security would need to traverse an active taxiway. The only solution would be a tunnel
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
How much do you want to walk and under what kind of conditions. I am not even sure if there is any possibility of sticking to just proper sidewalks while trying to do that walk. Rather I doubt that there are enough proper sidewalks to do it comfortably even on a nice day if having easy/light/no luggage to wheel around.

Even as someone who would walk 6-8 miles each way for a commute on a relatively leisurely day, I would never even consider such a walk unless the roads around ORD were completely shut down for a substantial period of time to all road traffic. In other words, I would advise against the walk.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nigos
Any bridge - airside or outside security would need to traverse an active taxiway. The only solution would be a tunnel
That's why the plane spotting would be great. Is it really impossible? (Maybe; I don't know, I am not an architect.)
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fumje
That's why the plane spotting would be great. Is it really impossible? (Maybe; I don't know, I am not an architect.)
Too expensive and risky to be possible for now at least. And the demand isn’t there. Illinois and Chicago finances are horrible and they can’t afford a lot more expensive boondoggles that get viewed as a “bridge to nowhere”.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I think security concerns would keep a walkway connecting two land-side locations from going over anything air-side, especially an active taxiway. But I could be wrong.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Is it even possible, legally, regardless of how long it takes?

No. I-190 (controlled access -- illegal to walk on) and a commercial vehicle lane (fenced off from airside and from I-190; taxis only; no sidewalks or shoulders) separates T5 from the other terminals. You can walk along a sidewalk that leads out from departures (or up the 5-lane road leading out of arrivals) and then link up with a short sidewalk along I-190 which ends and becomes grassy parkway only. When you ultimately get to the viaduct over which Taxiway B travels (the Bravo Bridge) you will have to get on the interstate highway as there are no shoulders or sidewalks under the viaduct. Same is true at A Bridge, a hundred or so feet down the road. Anyways, you'll likely have been picked up by authorities before you get that far.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by onthesam; Jul 4, 2019 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:23 pm

Is the TTB still functional near gate M1 at T5? Arriving on a PreClearance flight. Need to transfer to T3 with no checked bags. Thanks
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:31 pm

Preclearance flights typically don't arrive at T5. None the less, if you do, the transfer is landside not airside. There is no M1 TTB.

Last edited by onthesam; Jul 5, 2019 at 10:14 am
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Arrived today UA domestic at 1pm and needed to go to T5 to pick up a relative arriving from London. Ok for me but when we got to T5 there were 8+ folks waiting in a line in wheelchairs.

I have learned the hard way that the US really understaffs CBP on US holidays so it took my relative ~2 hours to clear immigration from landing and she said there was a lot of angst in line about connections.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by onthesam
Preclearance flights typically don't arrive at T5. None the less, if you do, the transfer is landside not airside. There is no M1 TTB.
Aer Lingus and Ethihad operate pre-clearance flights into T5. It's been reported the T5 to T1/2/3 airside bus in now operational from near gate M1.

Building an airside tunnel between T3 and T5 would be virtually pointless now. Both OneWorld and Star Alliance INTL arrivals will be relocated to the new T2 next decade, making domestic connections about as simple as can be. The expanded T5 will host SkyTeam (inlcuding Delta) and some other ULCCs. There will be very little need to make transfers to/from T5 and the other terminals... eight to 10 years from now.
GUWonder and nate79 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Aer Lingus and Ethihad operate pre-clearance flights into T5. It's been reported the T5 to T1/2/3 airside bus in now operational from near gate M1.
True about UAE and Ireland. There's also Sun Country and Frontier that use the terminal for domestic ops. Hence "typically".

Though I've seen discussion on these boards of a TTB that picks up at M1, with photos, I'd call them "rumors" and not "reports" with respect to when it will be operational. I've yet to come across anyone on FT who has actually used the service. If you have time, someone please clear T5 security and find out if it's operational yet.

Here's the most recent discussion: ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

ETA: I suspect there are some security concerns that are holding this up -- and which may prevent it.

Building an airside tunnel between T3 and T5 would be virtually pointless now. Both OneWorld and Star Alliance INTL arrivals will be relocated to the new T2 next decade, making domestic connections about as simple as can be. The expanded T5 will host SkyTeam (inlcuding Delta) and some other ULCCs.
It's completely pointless and has been so since T5 was constructed (the reason has nothing to do with the new proposed Global Terminal T2 that may or may not happen within the next decade). There are already multiple roads and a set of train tracks that connect T5 to the other terminals.

There will be very little need to make transfers to/from T5 and the other terminals... eight to 10 years from now.
I'm not sure that those of us who take CTA trains to and from O'hare would agree with that statement.
nate79 likes this.

Last edited by onthesam; Jul 5, 2019 at 2:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.