Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Update 10/29/2021:

Per the Chicago Tribune, quoting a spokesperson from the Chicago Department of Aviation, the ATS is set to reopen "within the month".
---

On October 18, 2019, the Chicago Department of Avaition announced that the People Mover / Airport Transit System (ATS) will remain closed until at least early 2020.

From the official ORD airport site

Transportation Between Terminals (ATS & TTB)
The O’Hare Airport Transit System (ATS or “people mover) is closed 24/7 to finalize modernization efforts and expansion of the system.

In order to maintain a travel connection between all of O’Hare’s terminals and parking lots, the CDA will operate shuttle buses to transport passengers and employees between terminals (Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5) and from the terminals to each economy parking lot (Lots E, G, H); the Multi-Modal Facility, where rental cars are housed; and the Metra O’Hare Transfer station. The buses will operate continuously to ensure prompt and reliable service while the ATS is closed.

If connecting between domestic Terminals 1, 2 & 3, you DON’T have to take the shuttle buses, you can walk. Simply follow in-airport signage.

The CDA is committed to providing a quick and reliable bus shuttle service as the ATS modernization is finalized. The new ATS is scheduled to open sometime in 2020..
This has been a long-planned / announced Airport Transit System (ATS) Improvement Project

For airside T3 to T5 transfers - AND EFFECTIVE 6/14/2019 T1 to T5 Transfers
you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminals 1 and 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm. If you are arriving into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service. Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
Gate B1
Gate G17
Gate K20
Gate L24
You must have your onward (international) BP and Passport in order to board the TTB from either T1 or T3 to T5.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 and will need to take the ATS {shuttle bus transfer service} to the domestic terminals. You will need to clear security again at the domestic terminals.

Print Wikipost

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I'm glad I ruled out Chicago for my next flights. My wheelchair-using son didn't want to face freezing or wet weather getting on and off a bus, and I wasn't confident the system would work reliably.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Got a rental at ORD yesterday. first two buses drove past without stopping. Finally got picked up by the third bus. Got a convoluted unenthusiastic announcement from the bus driver. "Oh yeah, there won't be anymore buses to the rental center so don't get on any buses to go get a rental. There will only be a train which they're building at will take a year and a half. This is the train now but its a actually a bus. .....We are now arriving, I hope you enjoyed the ride on the train/bus."
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Would this situation be any better first thing in the morning? I have a 2.5hr connection coming off a GRU-ORD flight and would like to maximize time in the Polaris lounge. Ultimately would prefer connecting in IAH and will look to SDC but UA845 was the only ex-GRU flight with PZ availability at booking.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Would this situation be any better first thing in the morning? I have a 2.5hr connection coming off a GRU-ORD flight and would like to maximize time in the Polaris lounge. Ultimately would prefer connecting in IAH and will look to SDC but UA845 was the only ex-GRU flight with PZ availability at booking.
First thing in the morning there must not be too many flights arriving. I think you should be OK. That flight from GRU arrives really early to the point that they switched the opening time at the ORD Polaris Lounge from 7:15 AM to 6:45 AM. I was told it was to accommodate the arriving passengers from GRU.
764toHI likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
ORD Transit System between Intl Terminal and United Concourses - How much delay?

I see that the ORD Transit System (ATS) is down till the Fall of 2019, including the ATS transportation to the International Terminal from the United Concourses. For the bus transportation that has been provided, how is that working out? Should I allocate more time to connect to Intl and domestic United flights due to the shuttle service replacement? How has this affected your travel to/from United domestic and Int'l flights. Has anyone missed connecting flights or Int'l flights? How much time should be allowed say for example arriving from an Intl'l flight in the International terminal, and connecting to a United flight from the United Concourses. Thanks for information and advice.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:32 am

Just a data point here. I landed in terminal 5, after existing custom door, turn right and walk past the usual escalator and you'll see a place to catch the bus. There was no line when I got there and bus happened to arrive just in time. First stop is terminal 1. I didn't measure the time but felt like the travel time was slightly longer than train but not by much (since terminal 1 was the first stop). Probably might want to allocate more time during peak travel season.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Yes. Allocate more time. It’s a complete zoo.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat
+1 for allocating more time: especially Fridays, Sunday nights, and around any holidays or events. The Friday before Thanksgiving 2018 ca. 2:30 pm T5 had a line of 300+ people waiting for "the" bus. I imagine a lot of people are missing connecting flights. I took a cab to the domestic terminals.

And...am avoiding booking any more flight transfers through T5 until this is over. (If your O/D airport is ORD, you'd never notice it, however.)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by jcp3rd
And...am avoiding booking any more flight transfers through T5 until this is over. (If your O/D airport is ORD, you'd never notice it, however.)
Unless you want to get between T5 and the blue line.

Which, on the day I went, took 15 minutes door to turnstile. I think it really varies day to day.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:42 am

How will this situation affect getting from the economy parking lots (specifically G) to Terminal 5, and back?

We are flying from ORD International Terminal to BUD on LOT (Polish Airlines) on May 4th, Saturday, returning May 21st, Tuesday. We are driving from Toledo, OH and planning on parking our car in one of those economy lots.
Should we be prepared for a long delay, traffic, and chaos getting from parking lots to terminal? We have 2 small kids...
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by gabebalazs
How will this situation affect getting from the economy parking lots (specifically G) to Terminal 5, and back?

We are flying from ORD International Terminal to BUD on LOT (Polish Airlines) on May 4th, Saturday, returning May 21st, Tuesday. We are driving from Toledo, OH and planning on parking our car in one of those economy lots.
Should we be prepared for a long delay, traffic, and chaos getting from parking lots to terminal? We have 2 small kids...
You will take a bus from Lot G to T5. It will either be a short wait and a quick bus ride, or it will be a long wait and a traffic-jammed bus ride.

I would consider it easier than normal, because when the train is running you'd have to take a bus from Lot G to the ATS stop, and then the ATS to Terminal 5. Now you just take a bus straight from G to T5. So one fewer transfer. I'd leave a few extra minutes just in case you have to wait for the bus or the first one is full.

Here's a map of the bus route to help you visualize it:

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteColle...4%20x%2036.pdf

You could consider an off-site parking (Parking Spot, etc.) but their shuttle buses have to get through the same traffic. And the official buses supposedly have a dedicated lane through the tightest spots, now, though I haven't been on one since that change so can't speak personally.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:48 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into the off-site parking options but probably stay in lot G or E. Good point on the one less transfer with the ATS being closed.

If anyone else here has recent experience in this matter, I'd appreciate their comments.

Also, how is traffic driving to the parking lots? I've only driven to O'Hare once, an that was 20 years ago.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Traffic on Saturdays is generally not too bad. There are always exceptions.

In your case, in addition to off-site parking options, I would recommend you consider various park-sleep-fly options. A quick search shows 1 night hotel near o'hare including 19 days of parking starting at about $150 and going up to about $300.
gabebalazs likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by gabebalazs
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into the off-site parking options but probably stay in lot G or E. Good point on the one less transfer with the ATS being closed.
Normally I'd recommend Lot E for the convenience of getting directly on the ATS, but with the ATS down I think there is no reason to prefer it, and Lot G is like half the price. I'd go with G.

In the winter, some offsite places will clear your car off and have it warmed up and ready to go when you get off the shuttle. I've even left my heavy coat in the car when flying to warmer places. But if you're flying in summer, not relevant.

Park-sleep-fly is another great option, depending on when your flight is departing (and when return flight is arriving).
gabebalazs likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
Traffic on Saturdays is generally not too bad. There are always exceptions.

In your case, in addition to off-site parking options, I would recommend you consider various park-sleep-fly options. A quick search shows 1 night hotel near o'hare including 19 days of parking starting at about $150 and going up to about $300.
I think I've heard about those, and they sound great but we can only leave from home that Sat morning. (U of Toledo graduation the night before - wife is faculty). I probably should have thought about that before buying the tickets but ORD-BUD direct flight is only on Saturdays and Tuesdays.

Thank you for your comment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.