Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Update 10/29/2021:

Per the Chicago Tribune, quoting a spokesperson from the Chicago Department of Aviation, the ATS is set to reopen "within the month".
---

On October 18, 2019, the Chicago Department of Avaition announced that the People Mover / Airport Transit System (ATS) will remain closed until at least early 2020.

From the official ORD airport site

Transportation Between Terminals (ATS & TTB)
The O’Hare Airport Transit System (ATS or “people mover) is closed 24/7 to finalize modernization efforts and expansion of the system.

In order to maintain a travel connection between all of O’Hare’s terminals and parking lots, the CDA will operate shuttle buses to transport passengers and employees between terminals (Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5) and from the terminals to each economy parking lot (Lots E, G, H); the Multi-Modal Facility, where rental cars are housed; and the Metra O’Hare Transfer station. The buses will operate continuously to ensure prompt and reliable service while the ATS is closed.

If connecting between domestic Terminals 1, 2 & 3, you DON’T have to take the shuttle buses, you can walk. Simply follow in-airport signage.

The CDA is committed to providing a quick and reliable bus shuttle service as the ATS modernization is finalized. The new ATS is scheduled to open sometime in 2020..
This has been a long-planned / announced Airport Transit System (ATS) Improvement Project

For airside T3 to T5 transfers - AND EFFECTIVE 6/14/2019 T1 to T5 Transfers
you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminals 1 and 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm. If you are arriving into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service. Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
Gate B1
Gate G17
Gate K20
Gate L24
You must have your onward (international) BP and Passport in order to board the TTB from either T1 or T3 to T5.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 and will need to take the ATS {shuttle bus transfer service} to the domestic terminals. You will need to clear security again at the domestic terminals.

Print Wikipost

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mozilla
Good call. I never had to endure that as I know my ORD, envisioned that would happen, and actively avoided ORD except if inbound from a PreClearance airport. Luckily the EWR PL opened the same week the ATS maintenance began (yeah it's that long already), providing a Polaris-enabled INTL alternative east of the Mississipi. So either EWR or PreClearance into ORD.
EWR arrival streams: 1 (occasionally a 2nd for small aircraft) in an already overcrowded airspace
ORD arrival streams: 3

Why sweat the bus when many have reported no wait?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Thanks. Is it easy to find and use the elevators to get to and from the shuttles?
I have not used the elevators myself. But signage at ORD (in general) is quite good, and airports have a higher concentration of users with elevator needs (people with heavy bags, strollers) so I imagine it would be well signed. I would still leave extra time for detours/delays though as some of the feedback in this post suggests the bussing process can take some time even without the elevator into the mix.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
...What other choice do you propose for reducing the traffic instead of the blue line? Helicopters?
I know there are private roads around there that are only accessible certain types of vehicles or there is inside the airport. Can any of those options be utilized to get from T5 to T123 without disrupting traffic? Dedicating an entire lane means that lane will most often be under utilized. Once in the terminal area, they drop at arrivals in the taxi lane instead? I suppose that adds an additional inconvenience to get up to departures though.

It's not my job to come up with the solutions, they are the experts and most familiar with all the options. Where there's a will, there's often a way.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
One can always just grab a cab and give the cab driver a very, VERY nice tip for going such a short distance.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
The real issues is delays that are out of your control. I assume the MCT time has not been increased. People with a short connection, especially on an INTL arrival that is delayed, can quickly run into problems with even a small delay due to the train not being there.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
The real issues is delays that are out of your control. I assume the MCT time has not been increased. People with a short connection, especially on an INTL arrival that is delayed, can quickly run into problems with even a small delay due to the train not being there.
Sounds like most days the bus takes 15 minutes including waiting. How long does the train take?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Sounds like most days the bus takes 15 minutes including waiting. How long does the train take?
My few experiences have been about 15min. I timed the train one one occasion and it only took 10min door to door. The difference was minimal. Maybe I just got lucky.
Hearing other people on the thread talking about 25min or an hour obviously isnt so good.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:04 pm

Back in early November, late afternoon on a Monday, the line-up for the shuttle bus at T5 snaked back and forth through the tent, then into the terminal and most of the way to the other end. It wasn't at all clear where the line ended and that it was in fact for the shuttle since no one was directing people at the far end. There were several airport employees yelling at people near the front of the line, ordering them about and telling them to move faster. Passengers who had realized that their connections were probably toast were yelling back. It was far from a smoothly run operation. It took me 45 minutes to get to the front of the line. The actual bus ride was only a few minutes.

I have no intention of connecting from another international flight in Chicago until the train is back up and running. I have told United that I will fly another airline before I try that again. At least at EWR, if the train is down, I can walk between terminals. The walk is so short that I often do that even when the train is running.

(I can't believe I am advocating flying through EWR.)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:27 pm

I have a domestic to international connection at ORD this coming Friday. Arrival in domestic is American Airlines (i guess Terminal 3) and international departure is T5.
Can anyone point me as to from where I need to catch the bus for T5? Will I need to do security again?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rak007
I have a domestic to international connection at ORD this coming Friday. Arrival in domestic is American Airlines (i guess Terminal 3) and international departure is T5.
Can anyone point me as to from where I need to catch the bus for T5? Will I need to do security again?
If you take the T3 to T5 TTB, you will be airside and no need to reclear security.
https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myf...s/default.aspx
you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 10:00 am - 8:30 pm. If you are arriving into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service.
Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
  • Gate G17
  • Gate K20
  • Gate L24

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 6, 2019 at 1:08 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you take the T3 to T5 TTB, you will be airside and no need to reclear security.
https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myf...s/default.aspx
Thank you. I think i will do this only. Have noted down the gate numbers in my phone so when I arrive on T3, I can go to the closest gate where the bus would be.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Back in early November, late afternoon on a Monday, the line-up for the shuttle bus at T5 snaked back and forth through the tent, then into the terminal and most of the way to the other end. It wasn't at all clear where the line ended and that it was in fact for the shuttle since no one was directing people at the far end. There were several airport employees yelling at people near the front of the line, ordering them about and telling them to move faster. Passengers who had realized that their connections were probably toast were yelling back. It was far from a smoothly run operation. It took me 45 minutes to get to the front of the line. The actual bus ride was only a few minutes.

I have no intention of connecting from another international flight in Chicago until the train is back up and running. I have told United that I will fly another airline before I try that again. At least at EWR, if the train is down, I can walk between terminals. The walk is so short that I often do that even when the train is running.

Experienced the same last night. Worst I’ve ever seen it. They tried to keep people inside the doors, but then others were just cutting us so we pushed forward anyways. Giant line, some people told me they waited an hour. Staff were barking orders at everyone adding to the high emotions. Thankfully we had a quick connect card, so we were able to jump the line and just barely made our flight.

Something needs to change, this can’t continue for the next 6 months. There needs to be a much more orderly manner to control the crowds, there needs to be many more busses, and the MCT needs to be expanded. Anything less than an hour and a half connection can not be done. Period.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dinoscool3

Experienced the same last night. Worst I’ve ever seen it. They tried to keep people inside the doors, but then others were just cutting us so we pushed forward anyways. Giant line, some people told me they waited an hour. Staff were barking orders at everyone adding to the high emotions. Thankfully we had a quick connect card, so we were able to jump the line and just barely made our flight.

Something needs to change, this can’t continue for the next 6 months. There needs to be a much more orderly manner to control the crowds, there needs to be many more busses, and the MCT needs to be expanded. Anything less than an hour and a half connection can not be done. Period.
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain

Same experience a few months ago. Had no idea there was a line. When I saw how long it was I decided to take a taxi. Got in the taxi and told the driver I wanted to go to Terminal 1 and he said no, that's too short a ride. The taxi stand guy told him he had to take me anywhere no matter how short. I told the guy I'd give him a good tip.

I'm GS and as usual, the GS agent gave me my next boarding pass as I exited the plane but gave me no warning that the train was down and there was such a long wait for the bus. I wrote an email to GS and said that would have been a good time to have the Mercedes transfer. They said the Mercedes transfer is not available for incoming international flight because of customs.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dinoscool3

I wasn't alone !!!

That was not any way to run ANYTHING at ANY airport.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by roxie
The taxi stand guy told him he had to take me anywhere no matter how short.
This is a Chicago law, btw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.