Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Update 10/29/2021:

Per the Chicago Tribune, quoting a spokesperson from the Chicago Department of Aviation, the ATS is set to reopen "within the month".
---

On October 18, 2019, the Chicago Department of Avaition announced that the People Mover / Airport Transit System (ATS) will remain closed until at least early 2020.

From the official ORD airport site

Transportation Between Terminals (ATS & TTB)
The O’Hare Airport Transit System (ATS or “people mover) is closed 24/7 to finalize modernization efforts and expansion of the system.

In order to maintain a travel connection between all of O’Hare’s terminals and parking lots, the CDA will operate shuttle buses to transport passengers and employees between terminals (Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5) and from the terminals to each economy parking lot (Lots E, G, H); the Multi-Modal Facility, where rental cars are housed; and the Metra O’Hare Transfer station. The buses will operate continuously to ensure prompt and reliable service while the ATS is closed.

If connecting between domestic Terminals 1, 2 & 3, you DON’T have to take the shuttle buses, you can walk. Simply follow in-airport signage.

The CDA is committed to providing a quick and reliable bus shuttle service as the ATS modernization is finalized. The new ATS is scheduled to open sometime in 2020..
This has been a long-planned / announced Airport Transit System (ATS) Improvement Project

For airside T3 to T5 transfers - AND EFFECTIVE 6/14/2019 T1 to T5 Transfers
you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminals 1 and 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm. If you are arriving into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service. Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
Gate B1
Gate G17
Gate K20
Gate L24
You must have your onward (international) BP and Passport in order to board the TTB from either T1 or T3 to T5.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 and will need to take the ATS {shuttle bus transfer service} to the domestic terminals. You will need to clear security again at the domestic terminals.

Print Wikipost

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Crazy slow progress. I’ve never seen anything take as long as this nightmare. Can’t wait for the new terminals!
Old May 26, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Crazy slow progress. I’ve never seen anything take as long as this nightmare. Can’t wait for the new terminals!
It's going to be years and years before the new terminals are up. I have calculated that they will open just when I retire. Then, I will not have to connect through ORD as I expect to move out from where I currently live. It figures.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Added info regarding T1-T5 TTB to wiki. Confirmed up and running (pickup by Gate B1).

ETA:

New car exterior spotted at T5 last week.

Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:47 pm

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...620-story.html

Long story with a bunch of old news and some new tidbits.

- ATS was supposed to remain operational with only limited shutdowns during the upgrade. Eventually the city agreed to nightly shutdowns, and then weekday 24-hour shutdowns, and finally the 24/7 shutdown we are in now. The city threw in an extra $23 million also for reasons that are not made clear in the article.

- The aviation commissioner during the time in question (Ginger Evans) was a former executive at the company that has the contract to rehab ATS (Parsons), but claims she wasn't overseeing the project until her subordinate left.

- The new guideway to the multi-modal facility "didn't align with the existing" guideway and had to be rebuilt or modified?

- Parsons made "20 proposals for testing the system that the city said were “inadequate and demonstrate a lack of systems understanding.”". Great.

- Old cars are being stored in an unfenced lot and are covered in graffiti, destined to be scrapped.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:21 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by threeoh
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...620-story.html

Long story with a bunch of old news and some new tidbits.

- ATS was supposed to remain operational with only limited shutdowns during the upgrade. Eventually the city agreed to nightly shutdowns, and then weekday 24-hour shutdowns, and finally the 24/7 shutdown we are in now. The city threw in an extra $23 million also for reasons that are not made clear in the article.

- The aviation commissioner during the time in question (Ginger Evans) was a former executive at the company that has the contract to rehab ATS (Parsons), but claims she wasn't overseeing the project until her subordinate left.

- The new guideway to the multi-modal facility "didn't align with the existing" guideway and had to be rebuilt or modified?

- Parsons made "20 proposals for testing the system that the city said were “inadequate and demonstrate a lack of systems understanding.”". Great.

- Old cars are being stored in an unfenced lot and are covered in graffiti, destined to be scrapped.
I would call this a great summary of the "Chicago competitive bidding process" for public projects. Somewhere on the spectrum of graft and general incompetence.
iluv2fly, onthesam and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Just because one is corrupt doesn't mean one can't also be inept.

Two shuttle bus drivers were talking on the bus, and they seem to be thinking this will last longer than September. I sure hope they are wrong.
LIH likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Nothing (former long-time Plat)
Out of the lurker bin to say that the chaos remains. Came in on the early afternoon bank yesterday.

Nearly an hour wait for bags and some less-than-helpful agents at baggage transfer. (They were literally shouting at folks, “Just drop your bags and go!” — not sure how speaking English more loudly to people who do not speak English is suddenly going to get them to understand you.)

In fairness, the transfer bus line looked demoralizing, but did actually move with decent pace. None of the buses I saw had any sort of baggage storage, so it definitely has a jitney feel onboard with bags and people packed to the gills.

Build at least 2.5 hours for any International to Domestic at ORD and bring your patience pills. (Or go through somewhere else.)
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Got this transfer coming up the last Monday in July arriving on an OS flight from VIE - I'm planning for chaos and I have about 5 hours to get over to T1, but given the nightmare I'm probably going to grab a ride share and head over. I'll spend the money and risk annoying a driver to not have to wait an hour for a bus.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
​​
Originally Posted by BURules
Out of the lurker bin to say that the chaos remains. Came in on the early afternoon bank yesterday.

Nearly an hour wait for bags and some less-than-helpful agents at baggage transfer. (They were literally shouting at folks, “Just drop your bags and go!” — not sure how speaking English more loudly to people who do not speak English is suddenly going to get them to understand you.)

In fairness, the transfer bus line looked demoralizing, but did actually move with decent pace. None of the buses I saw had any sort of baggage storage, so it definitely has a jitney feel onboard with bags and people packed to the gills.

Build at least 2.5 hours for any International to Domestic at ORD and bring your patience pills. (Or go through somewhere else.)
This sounds like a gripe with the baggage claim/re-check process having little or nothing to do with the ATS/temporary shuttle.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Got this transfer coming up the last Monday in July arriving on an OS flight from VIE - I'm planning for chaos and I have about 5 hours to get over to T1, but given the nightmare I'm probably going to grab a ride share and head over. I'll spend the money and risk annoying a driver to not have to wait an hour for a bus.
​​​​​​​

The shuttle bus is fine. There is no chaos. You have 5 hours please don't take a rideshare from T5 to T1. The drivers wait in line, at their own expense,sometimes for hours, for a ride. Going 3 blocks ain't too cool.
iluv2fly and JimInOhio like this.

Last edited by onthesam; Jul 3, 2019 at 7:28 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:44 am

I agree to not take a rideshare from T5. It'll be much quicker to take the bus that is right there at T5 than for some Lyfter to come in from the waiting lot and make the same route.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
I agree to not take a rideshare from T5. It'll be much quicker to take the bus that is right there at T5 than for some Lyfter to come in from the waiting lot and make the same route.
If any driver will even accept that ride when they've been cooling their heals at ORD for a long time hoping for a trip into the loop.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by milepig
If any driver will even accept that ride when they've been cooling their heals at ORD for a long time hoping for a trip into the loop.
Alternatively, take a “short-ride” yellow cab so that the driver has access to the front of the waiting zone.
Might cost you $15-$20 but that’s a fair trade off for the cabbie, IMO.

Dave
onthesam likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Even for ORD’s bad days for international arrivals, five hours is way more than plenty of time to make it from T5 to T1 while using the free landslide terminal transfer buses.

Even with a nightmare two hour wait to finally get to baggage claim at T5, you should still easily have 1-2 hours to play around at T1 airside.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:23 pm

Is there any reasonable option to walk from T5 to T1?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Google Maps says it’s a 50 minute walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.