Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Update 10/29/2021:

Per the Chicago Tribune, quoting a spokesperson from the Chicago Department of Aviation, the ATS is set to reopen "within the month".
---

On October 18, 2019, the Chicago Department of Avaition announced that the People Mover / Airport Transit System (ATS) will remain closed until at least early 2020.

From the official ORD airport site

Transportation Between Terminals (ATS & TTB)
The O’Hare Airport Transit System (ATS or “people mover) is closed 24/7 to finalize modernization efforts and expansion of the system.

In order to maintain a travel connection between all of O’Hare’s terminals and parking lots, the CDA will operate shuttle buses to transport passengers and employees between terminals (Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5) and from the terminals to each economy parking lot (Lots E, G, H); the Multi-Modal Facility, where rental cars are housed; and the Metra O’Hare Transfer station. The buses will operate continuously to ensure prompt and reliable service while the ATS is closed.

If connecting between domestic Terminals 1, 2 & 3, you DON’T have to take the shuttle buses, you can walk. Simply follow in-airport signage.

The CDA is committed to providing a quick and reliable bus shuttle service as the ATS modernization is finalized. The new ATS is scheduled to open sometime in 2020..
This has been a long-planned / announced Airport Transit System (ATS) Improvement Project

For airside T3 to T5 transfers - AND EFFECTIVE 6/14/2019 T1 to T5 Transfers
you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminals 1 and 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm. If you are arriving into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service. Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
Gate B1
Gate G17
Gate K20
Gate L24
You must have your onward (international) BP and Passport in order to board the TTB from either T1 or T3 to T5.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 and will need to take the ATS {shuttle bus transfer service} to the domestic terminals. You will need to clear security again at the domestic terminals.

Print Wikipost

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
It was a long bus ride to the mega plex rental car center from T1. Is a train in the cards?

SFO takes a bit of time but that service level I would call acceptable.
Yes, when it finally starts up the train will connect all of the terminals to the rental car center.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Yes, when it finally starts up the train will connect all of the terminals to the rental car center.
When it finally "starts up" they will have moved the rental car center to Elgin.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
"If" it finally starts up .

At the current rate airports may be obsolete as we all use our personal space transporters by the time the ATS is providing A T or S
atword likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Stop the busses and man the ATS trains

Originally Posted by fumje
Given the bizarre number of "test runs" they're doing with the train, I'm not convinced there isn't some kind of Hired Train scam going on. Perhaps even easier to pull off, given they don't need a driver to sit around for 8 hours.
Idea: stop paying all the bus drivers $45 an hour and put an operator on each ATS train until automation proves to be capable. Solved. Millions saved.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:33 am

Is there TTB running?

The website seems to say no
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
As of a couple days ago, the website is indeed correct. No TTB at the moment.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
TTB = Terminal Transfer Bus
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Am I missing something? With no transfer bus and no train, how are people supposed to get between T5 and the ther terminals?! It's not easily walkable.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Am I missing something? With no transfer bus and no train, how are people supposed to get between T5 and the ther terminals?! It's not easily walkable.
The TTB was the airside transfer bus. The landside shuttles are still operating.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You take the landside bus.

The TTB is the airside bus. It is not running because of Covid.

The train is (normally) landside. Not running because of construction, but it is replaced with landside buses 24/7.

You cannot legally walk to/from T5.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
You cannot legally walk to/from T5.
That's for the courts to decide.
JAaronT likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:41 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I do continue to see the people mover doing test runs. It was circling by T2 last Thursday as I was getting out of my town car at the end of T1.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by LIH
I do continue to see the people mover doing test runs. It was circling by T2 last Thursday as I was getting out of my town car at the end of T1.
test runs have been ongoing for over a year now. There must be some serious issues to keep it from getting launched. Perhaps it’s the $45 per hour bus drivers sabotaging the new ATS to keep their jobs indefinitely.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by danib62
That's for the courts to decide.
Actually, the courts don't make the laws... just interpret them (at least that's how it's supposed to work). More important, there isn't a walkway from T1/2/3 to T5. Only a roadway. So it may be "right" that's in not illegal but what's the point of being "dead right"?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by tryathlete
test runs have been ongoing for over a year now. There must be some serious issues to keep it from getting launched. Perhaps it’s the $45 per hour bus drivers sabotaging the new ATS to keep their jobs indefinitely.
According to a recent WGN-TV news investigation it has to do with reliability of the new cars (link).

Here is a snip from the linked article:

The same email detailed difficulty the new automated train cars had in operating in snow, ice and cold.

“Vehicle reliability has degraded to essentially zero,” the consultant wrote.

There is more on this thread in the US-Midwest forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.