Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Update 10/29/2021:

Per the Chicago Tribune, quoting a spokesperson from the Chicago Department of Aviation, the ATS is set to reopen "within the month".
---

On October 18, 2019, the Chicago Department of Avaition announced that the People Mover / Airport Transit System (ATS) will remain closed until at least early 2020.

From the official ORD airport site

Transportation Between Terminals (ATS & TTB)
The O’Hare Airport Transit System (ATS or “people mover) is closed 24/7 to finalize modernization efforts and expansion of the system.

In order to maintain a travel connection between all of O’Hare’s terminals and parking lots, the CDA will operate shuttle buses to transport passengers and employees between terminals (Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5) and from the terminals to each economy parking lot (Lots E, G, H); the Multi-Modal Facility, where rental cars are housed; and the Metra O’Hare Transfer station. The buses will operate continuously to ensure prompt and reliable service while the ATS is closed.

If connecting between domestic Terminals 1, 2 & 3, you DON’T have to take the shuttle buses, you can walk. Simply follow in-airport signage.

The CDA is committed to providing a quick and reliable bus shuttle service as the ATS modernization is finalized. The new ATS is scheduled to open sometime in 2020..
This has been a long-planned / announced Airport Transit System (ATS) Improvement Project

For airside T3 to T5 transfers - AND EFFECTIVE 6/14/2019 T1 to T5 Transfers
you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminals 1 and 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm. If you are arriving into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service. Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
Gate B1
Gate G17
Gate K20
Gate L24
You must have your onward (international) BP and Passport in order to board the TTB from either T1 or T3 to T5.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 and will need to take the ATS {shuttle bus transfer service} to the domestic terminals. You will need to clear security again at the domestic terminals.

Print Wikipost

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
They need to mark it better. I don't do a lot of domestic to intl at ORD and in September I had to do just that.
Took me few minutes to figure out where to go, then when I finally arrived at the station it was closed. No signs downstairs notifying about the closure.
Found the bus and at 7pm there was no problem transferring to int terminal (UA to LO).
I can't imagine transferring during the rush hour with the train down.
For the benefit of others reading this thread, FYI there is a daytime airside bus from T3 -> T5 for D-I connections that doesn't require going through security again.

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax
goodeats21 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I normally fly weekends, and seriously, can't they do the testing at night -- say midnight to 5am?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:35 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
...Then the traffic was so slow that I could have walked faster. Oops! There's no way to walk from Terminal 5 to Terminal 1. Maybe with the dedicated bus lane it would be faster than what I experienced...
While I agree that there is no practical way to walk from T5 to T1 I have absolutely seen people walking down the side of the expressway on particularly bad traffic days (including once about a month ago). I would not suggest it, and I'm sure it isn't legal, but I have seen people do it.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
If you think this is the worst that awaits at ORD in the short term, wait until the Terminal 2 teardown starts... the big redevelopment / upgrade project will make a temporary ATS loss look like changing a light bulb.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
What is the shuttle bus process like for wheelchair passengers?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Beyond the initial growing pains (which were severe by many accounts), I believe most everyone has said the bus option has worked quite well, even at heavy connection times.
When I last used it in October it took 35 minutes to get from T2 to T5 on a Friday afternoon. I may have been able to walk it in less time.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
When I last used it in October it took 35 minutes to get from T2 to T5 on a Friday afternoon. I may have been able to walk it in less time.
As someone else mentioned... Highly suggest taking the airside shuttle that runs from G, K and now the L stinger until about 8:30pm. Even better than the ATS because you don't have to go through security again.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
For the benefit of others reading this thread, FYI there is a daytime airside bus from T3 -> T5 for D-I connections that doesn't require going through security again.

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax
And it is absolutely useless.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
What is the shuttle bus process like for wheelchair passengers?
The ORD accessibility guide suggests all the buses are kneeling with securements. I assume the drivers are trained to operate the relevant features on the bus as well.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/ServicesAmenities/accessibility/Pages/default.aspx
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:36 am

So that's (at least) until Fall 19 of either PreClearance INTL to ORD, or just avoid ORD inbound from INTL.

I'm very disappointed with the Chicago Dept of Aviation that it has to take this long.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Agneisse
The ORD accessibility guide suggests all the buses are kneeling with securements. I assume the drivers are trained to operate the relevant features on the bus as well.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...s/default.aspx
Thanks. Is it easy to find and use the elevators to get to and from the shuttles?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Fly Through Another Hub

My wife just made an international return through ORD and said the wait for the bus was 25 minutes and that there was a lot of traffic on the drive. She does not want to fly through there again until the train is finished, so that is what we will be doing.

ORD was already the worst hub, now it's even better.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by worldtrav
And it is absolutely useless.
Care to give any more details? (Serious question, I'm curious what makes the shuttle bus so useless.)
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Thanks. Is it easy to find and use the elevators to get to and from the shuttles?
Yes, getting curbside is no problem. Probably fewer elevator rides than getting to the ATS stations.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
My wife just made an international return through ORD and said the wait for the bus was 25 minutes and that there was a lot of traffic on the drive. She does not want to fly through there again until the train is finished, so that is what we will be doing.
Good call. I never had to endure that as I know my ORD, envisioned that would happen, and actively avoided ORD except if inbound from a PreClearance airport. Luckily the EWR PL opened the same week the ATS maintenance began (yeah it's that long already), providing a Polaris-enabled INTL alternative east of the Mississipi. So either EWR or PreClearance into ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.