Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Update 10/29/2021:

Per the Chicago Tribune, quoting a spokesperson from the Chicago Department of Aviation, the ATS is set to reopen "within the month".
---

On October 18, 2019, the Chicago Department of Avaition announced that the People Mover / Airport Transit System (ATS) will remain closed until at least early 2020.

From the official ORD airport site

Transportation Between Terminals (ATS & TTB)
The O’Hare Airport Transit System (ATS or “people mover) is closed 24/7 to finalize modernization efforts and expansion of the system.

In order to maintain a travel connection between all of O’Hare’s terminals and parking lots, the CDA will operate shuttle buses to transport passengers and employees between terminals (Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5) and from the terminals to each economy parking lot (Lots E, G, H); the Multi-Modal Facility, where rental cars are housed; and the Metra O’Hare Transfer station. The buses will operate continuously to ensure prompt and reliable service while the ATS is closed.

If connecting between domestic Terminals 1, 2 & 3, you DON’T have to take the shuttle buses, you can walk. Simply follow in-airport signage.

The CDA is committed to providing a quick and reliable bus shuttle service as the ATS modernization is finalized. The new ATS is scheduled to open sometime in 2020..
This has been a long-planned / announced Airport Transit System (ATS) Improvement Project

For airside T3 to T5 transfers - AND EFFECTIVE 6/14/2019 T1 to T5 Transfers
you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminals 1 and 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm. If you are arriving into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service. Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
Gate B1
Gate G17
Gate K20
Gate L24
You must have your onward (international) BP and Passport in order to board the TTB from either T1 or T3 to T5.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 and will need to take the ATS {shuttle bus transfer service} to the domestic terminals. You will need to clear security again at the domestic terminals.

Print Wikipost

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Thank you so much!

I guess we won't make it as we are sitting at the very back of a 777-200.

We are EU passport holders, so we will have to do the usual kiosk taking pictures and and fingerprint and then fingerprints again at the actual immigration counter at ORD. We'll be taking the 11:40am flight leaving MUC and arrives at ORD at around 14:15. As far as I can see there are 2 flights after the one we supposed to take leaving ORD at 15:55.

The kids are 11-14 years old, so we will have to take 1 or 2 kids each if we have to split.

I don't understand the logic behind the 90 minutes MCT at ORD.

Called UA - they will not change our flights without charge, what the agent said was that I can call 30 minutes before the ORD-LAX flight depart so that they can put us on standby for the next flight to LAX.

I'll see if I can do a SDC this Saturday.

Last edited by nacho; Oct 22, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
I don't understand the logic behind the 90 minutes MCT at ORD.
There are 6 things slowing you down, and none of those things are taken into account when calculating MCT.

A solo adult traveler in J with with U.S. citizenship plus Global Entry (speed through immigration/customs), no checked bags, and TSA Precheck (speed through security) I think a 100-minute connection would be fine at ORD T5->T1 in most circumstances. You could probably make it even with a 30 minute delay on the first flight.

Keep in mind that since you are flying ex-EU, if your first flight is delayed and you miss your connection overnight they should pay for your hotel (and, in some circumstances, pay you EUR 600 per passenger). This doesn't necessarily apply if the flight is on time and you miss your connection anyway, but you could try for it. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...united-50.html

But....I hope you make the connection or are accommodated in one group on one of the later flights that day!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!

I still don't get the logic of it - how many pax on a 777 is a solo adult flying J with US citizenship plus Global Entry?

Do you know where is the first UA counter we'll get to at ORD? I guess the agent at ORD will be more understanding about our situation.

I was trying to see if there's one in MUC but I don't think so - last time I flew UA everything was handled by LH. We have 4 hours at MUC so we should have plenty of time to try to call UA.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:35 pm

I still don't get the logic of it - how many pax on a 777 is a solo adult flying J with US citizenship plus Global Entry?
I don't have numbers but as a random guess, 40% of people arriving on a MUC-ORD flight have at least 4 of those 6 things? Anyway United is not saying you'll make the connection, they're saying they will sell you ticket and protect the connection (accommodate you for free if you miss it, possibly pay for hotel, etc.). They will do that for 90+ minutes but not for 89 minutes or less. Personally I like that airlines give you more options -- fast travelers (or those who are risk tolerant) can choose the tight connections, and you can choose not to if you have some things slowing you up. But it is a trade-off.

Do you know where is the first UA counter we'll get to at ORD? I guess the agent at ORD will be more understanding about our situation.
In T5, after getting your bags and clearing Customs, but before you get to to the public area, there is a United desk on your right-hand side. That is where you re-check your bags. There is staff there and they can help you out -- though if there is still a chance you can make your flight they may urge you to go to T1 and try for it.

Once in T1 you can use the regular check-in counter, or go through security and use the UA customer service desk by gates B8 or C18.

Actually if you are all non-UA *G you can use the United Club for free (the one by gate B6 is usually the closest/nicest)....there are agents in the Club who can help with your rebooking, and you can enjoy a mediocre snack while you wait Probably more convenient than waiting in line at the normal customer service desk.

I was trying to see if there's one in MUC but I don't think so - last time I flew UA everything was handled by LH. We have 4 hours at MUC so we should have plenty of time to try to call UA.
They contract with LH staff but I think technically it is a United counter (they follow UA, not LH, policies). At least I think so?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Anyway United is not saying you'll make the connection, they're saying they will sell you ticket and protect the connection (accommodate you for free if you miss it, possibly pay for hotel, etc.).
Thanks for this information. I was also concerned about my 1:20 connection flying LHR-ORD-YVR (959/563) in early January, after hearing that the ATS will not be fixed by then. Like the previous poster, I also called United, but was told no waiver. The phone agent was quite strident about it, and gave me a stern lecture for several minutes saying she had not heard of anyone having any problems making connections and as I had chosen to purchase this ticket, I must have known it would be a tight connection unless I had no baggage and GE. But my question, which she never answered, was not whether I could change the flight without fee, but what would happen in the event that I missed the connection. The second flight is the last flight of the day, so I would have to overnight, and I wondered if they would put me in a hotel if the first flight was on-time but the delays through immigration/baggage re-check meant that I couldn't get to my second flight. I'm 1K on a paid ticket in Y, both flights UA on the same ticket. I would really prefer to check a bag and I'm Nexus. Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by under2100
The second flight is the last flight of the day, so I would have to overnight, and I wondered if they would put me in a hotel if the first flight was on-time but the delays through immigration/baggage re-check meant that I couldn't get to my second flight.
I have no personal experience with this, I've never missed a UA connection with an on-time inbound.

My intuition is they would handle it like a weather delay -- so hotel for 1K/GS and no hotel for others. But I don't know.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An update:

Called again this morning at around 8:45 CET, realizing that I'm also UA silver so I gave a call to the premier desk. Finally got someone from the US who won't keep saying, "Mam, I know where you are coming from" BS.

She pulled my ressie and I told her about the ORD connection, and I asked her if she knows Chicago and she said yes, and I asked her again if she knows ORD she said yes. I then asked her whether anyone can make that connection.

She said, "well United thinks people can make it in 90 minutes", but if I want to change the flight she can help. I immediately asked if there's any charge and she said since it's not an unreasonable request she will wave the charge.

So we have 3 hours at ORD

Thanks once again for all your help!
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was also concerned about my 1:20 connection flying LHR-ORD-YVR (959/563) in early January,
1:20 is 80 minutes so it's 10 minutes below the MCT (MCT for ORD Intl to domestic is 90 minutes if it's UA-UA), if it's 016 ticket they might be able to book you on AC directly from LHR to YVR.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:13 am

1:20 is 80 minutes so it's 10 minutes below the MCT (MCT for ORD Intl to domestic is 90 minutes if it's UA-UA), if it's 016 ticket they might be able to book you on AC directly from LHR to YVR.
Originally Posted by cheltzel
The UA to UA MCT for I-D is 75 minutes not 90. I agree with everything you say about the likelihood of making that connection. I would change to a more make-able connection if at all possible.

[KVS Tool 8.1.7 - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: ORD/UA-UA]
Code:
DD DI ID II
STANDARD: ORD 050 075 090 090
UA-UA ONLINE ORD 035 --- --- ---
UA-UA ONLINE ORD --- 040 --- ---
UA-UA ONLINE ORD --- --- 075 075 

---------------------------------------------------------------

[DD] Domestic To Domestic [DEP] Departure Airport
[DI] Domestic To Intl [ARR] Arrival Airport
[ID] Intl To Domestic [A/L] Airline
[II] Intl To Intl [TR] Terminal
[EQP W] Wide-Body Aircraft [EFF] Effective Date
[EQP N] Narrow-Body Aircraft [SUP] Suppressed/Prohibited
Unfortunately, I read on here that the minimum connection time is 75 minutes. I think that's what the agent on the phone said as well. I guess they're not changing from that even though the ATS is down.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Immigration lines and security lines have more to do with the potential for delays. The shuttle is adding at most 5-10 minutes to the journey these days.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Standard I/D seems to be 1h20 these days, overridden for a number of cases to 1h30 but no UA metal from Europe.

It's definitely possible to make -- my last ORD connection was something like 2h10 and I had a solid hour on the B6 UC before boarding started. MCT isn't about "what connection will every pax make every time" but about what is plausible to attempt. I find it to be set somewhere around a 65% probability of making the connection for the average pax.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, I read on here that the minimum connection time is 75 minutes. I think that's what the agent on the phone said as well. I guess they're not changing from that even though the ATS is down.
They told me MCT was 90 minutes i to d - I'd try to call again if I were you - perhaps wait until it gets closer. You never know what the weather will be like in ORD in January or there's a schedule change from UA.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
T5 -T1 Shuttle Bus

Thanks for the replies about the time to go from T5 to T1. Once I exit the customs hall and give my white slip to the GE/Customs Officer upon exit. How do I walk to the bus stop that circulates to go to T1? Is the signage fairly clear?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Follow the signs...
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Thanks for the replies about the time to go from T5 to T1. Once I exit the customs hall and give my white slip to the GE/Customs Officer upon exit. How do I walk to the bus stop that circulates to go to T1? Is the signage fairly clear?
Unless it's changed it's lower level, door 5E.

But follow the signs!
onthesam and Flying Machine like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.