Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Op-ups on *A partner flights for UA elites

Op-ups on *A partner flights for UA elites

Old Jan 2, 19, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
Why “Germany” in particular? I understand the answer is likely to be a ‘Nein’ but does LH have a reputation for ‘punishing’ presumptuous passengers?
Culturally, Germans don't look kindly on people who are seen to be trying to "game the system" or "bend the rules". In the US, nifty tricks to "improve" rules and systems are usually viewed positively, but Germans expect you to follow the procedures so that everyone can get on with life. It's not quite as strict as Japan in this regard, but I would still feel challenged to sell asking for an op-up in a way that would get me a smile.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I've received two op-ups - both during the Christmas travel period:
- NRT-SIN from Y to J on NH when there was an equipment swap from a regional 788 to an IOJ-configured 788
- TPE-SGN from Y to PE on BR - not as great as the NH op-up but was nice to get out of a 3-4-3 Y cabin
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
I got an op-up AV domestic J for the 364 mile flight between CUZ and LIM a few months ago. I think it's pretty common on AV flights. I can't even remember the last op-up I had - probably 2011, don't even remember what route or airline. (The op-downs, when they happen, tend to be more memorable )
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by findark View Post
My op-ups have been to Eurobiz, where I really don't care. Honestly I was a little bit disappointed to get moved from a window...
Same! I have had 1 Op-Up and it was on LH as a UA *G from KBP-FRA. I was actually disappointed as they only had aisle seats left and I was moved from my 5A to 4C. I asked for my old seat back as I had been up the entire night and only wanted to sleep. GA told me that there were only middle seats left in Eco, and to enjoy business

A family of 5 or 6 people took row 5 upon boarding

I did end up eating, meal was good but the amount of cutlery that I got for the meal was insane. 2 forks, 2 knives and a large and small spoon, for breakfast! Not enough room on the tables

Still waiting for the TATL Op-Up :P
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold
I got OPUP'd once on LH from ORD-FRA from Y to J as UA 1K (*G) about 8 years ago. I was paged in the UC and received a new J BP.
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum; SPGold; GoldPoints Gold; most other FF programs...
LH C-> F

My brother (UA 1K) just got upgraded on the LH A380 from Biz to First on a D Fare from FRA-LAX Dec 31st.

Last edited by FoxFlyer; Jan 2, 19 at 4:18 pm
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K&1.99MM (really), Bonvoy lifetime Gold with 14 years of Plat!
OZ and NH intra-Asia flights during holidays are a relatively common op-up for *G in my experience. I've had a couple on LH intra-Europe as well,

My favourite op-up of all time though, was this one 10 years ago on United
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Was op-upped from economy to business on AC LGA-YUL last Wednesday. The gate agent specifically said that there may not be a meal for me, and it was printed on the boarding pass as ML*1/NOML.

Ended up with a meal anyways. For an 1 hour flight, I was surprised that they served a hot breakfast with omelette and a sausage link. It was delicious.

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi View Post
Since becoming *G, I’ve been op-upped maybe two or three times on AC YUL-ORD. Prior to being *G, I’d see op-ups on that flight, but never got one, so I’m assuming that *G status played a role.

FWIW, the op-up on AC only happens when they have a W&B issue requiring pax to move forward, or when they’re oversold in the back.
(emphasis added)

As that is the definition of op-up.
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA DL HH
Couple of years ago I was on FD flight EWR-YYZ-YUL-BRU-MXP and back ($125 ai) with my buddy. Flying AC EWR-YYZ. Gate agent came to our seats, asked for boarding passes and she ripped them in half. We got scared that our trip to Milan has ended. Then she handed to us new boarding passes. Got moved up to J.
We were both United *G (1K and UAG).

In October of this year (as a UA Plat) I've got bumped to ANA J on IAD-NRT (UA) - BKK. It was packed evening flight and I was in emergency exit row. Gate agent came to me asking for my boarding pass. When I gave it to her she gave me new one. However, the seat where I was upgraded to was broken. FA moved me from window seat to the middle seats. At that time I thought that I won the lottery. After 13 hours flight on UA I've been upgraded to J for the next 6 hours I don't even remember if I ate anything. I was so tired that I slept most of the flight.

So for me is 2 flights out of about 500+ Star Alliance flights that I took in the last 15 years.
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I 've had lots of success with opups on AC.
Quite a few short hauls to J.
also, long haul to J, and twice to PY.
Almost always on lowest fare, except for one Y class ticket.
Old Jan 2, 19, 2:17 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
I 've had lots of success with opups on AC.
Quite a few short hauls to J.
also, long haul to J, and twice to PY.
Almost always on lowest fare, except for one Y class ticket.
My entire family (all of us have UA Plat status) was upgraded EWR-YYZ on AC on Thanksgiving. Maybe a goodwill gesture given the holiday? F and Y went out with empty seats.
Old Jan 2, 19, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Technically not an op-up, but flying OZ a few years ago on ICN-BKK my seat was changed at boarding from a C seat to an F seat. However they don't sell F on that route, so it was still C service/etc (and thus not technically an op-up), just the better seat.
Old Jan 4, 19, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Not *A, but the only "long haul" flight I have ever received an OPUP was on BA, PHL-LHR about 25 years ago. My wife and I were on award tickets in Y with no seat assignments. Gate agent told us to wait. After all passengers have boarded, gate agent then handed us 2 boarding passes for J.
Old Jan 4, 19, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
My best op-up was on United as a Premier Gold on an S Fare. SFO-TPE, Upgraded because of massive oversell in Economy. Long 14 hour flight, was dreading sitting in the back.

Got a nice op-up last year on LX on ZRH-DXB. K fare; had paid for a bulkhead seat assignment. Ended up with a business class seat approximately 18 hours before departure; the previous day’s ZRH-DEL flight had been cancelled, pushing a lot of the passengers on my flight.
Old Jan 4, 19, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL/UA
I got op-up'ed on a OZ flight from KIX to ICN last August as *G.

Too bad the flight was only 1.5 hours long, didn't even get to properly enjoy the meal as they were busy taking it back.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: