Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Op-ups on *A partner flights for UA elites

Op-ups on *A partner flights for UA elites

Old Jan 1, 19, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
Historically, I always would give him the upgrade. This time I didnít.
He caused the problem initially, so he didn't deserve to sit up front. At least the didn't get a middle seat.

I have never gotten an OpUp on LH as *G for as long as Star Alliance existed, both as US *G then UA *G.
Old Jan 1, 19, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
2 years ago, got an op-up on FRA-BLR on LH. Traveling alone, *G. Found out whenís a I checked in at CVG for my UA connectors. LH BP has a seat in row 9 on a 748 instead of my initially selected seat in row 30-something. I actually considered it a double upgrade - as I skipped premium Economy. This flight was on Dec. 29.

Alsmot two two years later, on the same FRA-BLR flight on LH, and nothing (as expected). Was hoping for maybe a repeat, but wasnít expecting. Flight was Dec. 26 - this time traveling with wife (both of us *S now), one kid in seat (no status) and lap infant.

in all my years as an elite on AC (~2009-2015) and UA (every year since) Iíve never had an op-up on AC. Including lots of holiday travel.
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
Does anyone ever ask for the UG? or do you just wait and hope? I donít know if Iíd have the nerve in Germany. Seems like a very ďAmericanĒ thing to do.
My op-ups have been to Eurobiz, where I really don't care. Honestly I was a little bit disappointed to get moved from a window over the Alps to an aisle in J, but I figured it was still a win, on balance. But yeah, it would take a lot of nerve to fish for an op-up like that in Germany

The real regret was the time I GPUed an E fare on FRA-ORD and then found myself surrounded by op-upped PE pax (LH regularly oversells their PE cabin since it's so small).
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
So, one anecdote with no real data. Probably of limited use but good news for the OP.
Old Jan 1, 19, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
9 years ago, I flew the now-defunct route LAX-BKK-LAX on TG over Christmas. Was booked in Premium Economy. Got a op-up to J both ways. I'm guessing they prioritized *G status.
Old Jan 1, 19, 10:40 pm

Programs: United Gold
Got an op-up flying AC yyc-yow this summer. Though domestic, I will give AC props for service.
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Since the OP has no status on LH, that thread would not apply.
Non-concur. OP is *G. Other *G post there, too.
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:31 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG/Mar Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
This year, I got op-ups to PE on ANA HND-SIN, and to J, NRT-SIN, both booked as a part of a United ticket. Last year I got YUL-ZRH and ZRH-EWR on LX to J. Both ANA flights happened at check in when my seat was not the one I selected, and both LX flights I got the little receipt printed out when boarding. The gentleman in front of me in the boarding line on the YUL-ZRH flight got a receipt too, but from J to F - was definitely a bit jealous but free is free!
Old Jan 2, 19, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Originally Posted by findark View Post
But yeah, it would take a lot of nerve to fish for an op-up like that in Germany
Why “Germany” in particular? I understand the answer is likely to be a ‘Nein’ but does LH have a reputation for ‘punishing’ presumptuous passengers?
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:09 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi View Post

Was the flight delayed or something? What was the check-in cutoff? I’m trying to picture getting from the check-in counter, through security, and to the gate before they close the door on the flight.
[Slightly OT]

This is TXL with its unique Cold War design - check-in is at the gate. For jetty gates in the original building it is like 15m / 50ft from check-in to gate. Security is next to check-in and it is not centralized, i.e. each gate has its own security.
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi View Post

Was the flight delayed or something? What was the check-in cutoff? Iím trying to picture getting from the check-in counter, through security, and to the gate before they close the door on the flight.
It is possible that there was no line at security since they arrived close to departure time, and each gate at TXL terminal A has its own security checkpoint. And it's a very short distance from the checkin counter to departure gate since the terminal building is very "skinny".
Terminal A is a hexagon-shaped ring concourse with a parking area, taxi stands and bus stops in its middle. It features 14 jet bridges which correspond to 16 respective check-in counters (A00ĖA15), with jetways 1 and 14 each serving two check-in counters. There is no transit zone, which means that each gate has its own security clearance checkpoint and exit for arriving passengers. Therefore, direct flight connections without leaving the airside area are not possible. Most major airlines arrive and depart here, especially "prestigious" flights like intercontinental services or flights to the busy European hub airports; for example United Airlines flights to Newark and Lufthansaservices to Munich and Frankfurt are handled here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin...minals_A_and_B
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Plat
ZRH-HKG on LX about 9 months ago. Was going to be in 10 across Y on 777 so i was very happy about that.
IST-TLV with my non-status partner on TK in October.
IST-TLV by myself on TK about 6 months ago.

I also tend to get E+ equivalent on Shenzhen Airlines and Air China when they have it.
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I've received about a dozen over the years, mostly intra-europe from Y to J on LH, LX, LO, and OS. I've also gotten bumped to F from J on short TG and SQ flights.
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:18 am

Programs: One or two :)
I had one in August 2018 for MAN-IAH as a *G on SQ. I felt like I had won the lottery
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
He caused the problem initially, so he didn't deserve to sit up front. At least the didn't get a middle seat.

I have never gotten an OpUp on LH as *G for as long as Star Alliance existed, both as US *G then UA *G.
I got an OpUp from LH about 4 years ago flying from FRA to DEL. When I had originally checked in with UA in DEN, they couldn't give m a boarding pass for the LH flight and we were delayed getting into FRA so I was a bit frantic when I made my way to the gate and saw long lines and heard an announcement about an oversold situation. I finally got up to the counter and explained to the agent that UA hadn't given me a boarding pass. He looked me up online, smiled, and gave me a BP for 4K. It was a nice way to go.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: