Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myb821
No there were no seats available on the seat map. They did not give a reason.
This benefit is still listed on the website: "Next-flight guarantee helps you and a companion secure a United Economy booking if your flight is canceled." I've been placed on the next flight when no seats were available, and several people were IDBd at the gate, but I was on. When I'm on a paid First fare, I am always called and offered Y on the next flight or F on a future flight where there is F capacity ... was that the case here, that your family members were seated in First?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deskover54
one requirement is there must be a seat avail on the seatmap. was there 2 seats avail when you asked for the 9:15pm? when you asked about the Y override benefit, did they give you a reason for saying no?
If there is a requirement for there to be seats, it's not a benefit. Anyone can get confirmed on flights with open seats in IRROPS. No need for GS.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:54 am

Booked in economy upgraded to business with RPU. I guess it is called next flight guarantee and not previous flight guarantee. Regardless if it happens again I will push for it. Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If there is a requirement for there to be seats, it's not a benefit. Anyone can get confirmed on flights with open seats in IRROPS. No need for GS.
Non-GS cannot generally get on flights where the inventory shows Y0, regardless of whether seats are assigned.

It sounds like (if upthread report is true) they are willing to oversell the flight to put a GS on it, but not unassign a seat from another passenger who already has a seat assignment.

I've also read they won't put you on a flight if it is "severely oversold" (presumably by other GS, deadheading crew, or equipment swap). So that could be at play here too.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
How do GS folks use up their $200 AMEX Platinum reimbursement?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EAA795
How do GS folks use up their $200 AMEX Platinum reimbursement?
Inflight wifi.
wxguy and John Aldeborgh like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
What the hell did they do to GS check-in counter at SFO intl?
So now they want us to check-in at T3 domestic? But uber/lyft dropoff at domestic is in a parking garage and that's very inconvenient vs intl terminal where it's curbside.
The line today at the intl terminal without GS was 30 people deep. I ended up throwing away my toiletry so avoid check-in luggage and did carry-on instead.
Wrote a nice letter to united.com/feedback about the issue.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:10 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twkidM3
What the hell did they do to GS check-in counter at SFO intl?
So now they want us to check-in at T3 domestic? But uber/lyft dropoff at domestic is in a parking garage and that's very inconvenient vs intl terminal where it's curbside.
The line today at the intl terminal without GS was 30 people deep. I ended up throwing away my toiletry so avoid check-in luggage and did carry-on instead.
Wrote a nice letter to united.com/feedback about the issue.
Oh dear. Just read upthread a little. That's what the hell they did with it. Sorry.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Booked "J" ticket for my wife for trip to LIS and then Oktoberfest. 60K miles and some taxes. Sweetest GS deal by far.
kirkwoodj and benewr like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:33 am

That is not true. If it's Y0 and seats are available on the seatmap, only a GS can get the seat.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deskover54
That is not true. If it's Y0 and seats are available on the seatmap, only a GS can get the seat.
So it's literally just about unassigned seats? Overbooked by 30 but open spots on the map is fine, but "full" and every seat assigned and you have to wait until the next flight with unassigned seats?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:41 pm

So it's literally just about unassigned seats? Overbooked by 30 but open spots on the map is fine, but "full" and every seat assigned and you have to wait until the next flight with unassigned seats?
They have also stated they don't do it for "severely overbooked" flights, which I think would include your "30" example.

I'm guessing they don't want to IDB anyone with a seat assignment post-Dao, in the case that a VDB doesn't work out.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by threeoh
They have also stated they don't do it for "severely overbooked" flights, which I think would include your "30" example.
Haven't had this experience ... can you share where it was stated?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh

I'm guessing they don't want to IDB anyone with a seat assignment post-Dao, in the case that a VDB doesn't work out.
Correct.

I've only used the benefit twice. Both times, they noted they had to check the seatmap to which I had already noted there were unassigned seats. in both cases it was Y0 and my guess is it was overbooked around 3ish.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau
Haven't had this experience ... can you share where it was stated?
Poking around on some old threads, I may be confusing the 1K guarantee of being able to purchase a Y/B ticket on any flight at least 90 minutes prior to departure. United says you can do this on "most sold-out flights" and there was a discussion here on FT about which flights might not be included, and someone with some experience indicated that the while the guarantee did apply to Y0 flights, it did not apply to flights that were severely oversold (for example in the case of downgauge or large number of must-fly deadheading crew).

The same logic may / may not apply to the GS IRROPS benefit, I guess. Sorry for getting the two similar benefits confused.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.