Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:03 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by jp12687
that's a great change-- when did it change?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ep-2018-a.html
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Quick question on Business Saver Awards. I called the GS desk to try and open space for 3 Biz class seats really from anywhere to LHR June 1st-4th (any day worked). I live in CMH but took that out of the equation to try and simplify.
While the agent was super nice, she couldn't find anything, and wouldn't share the fare bucket I need to search for. Anyone have any suggestions? Using 900,000 miles just seems excessive for that flight?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:06 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
Quick question on Business Saver Awards. I called the GS desk to try and open space for 3 Biz class seats really from anywhere to LHR June 1st-4th (any day worked). I live in CMH but took that out of the equation to try and simplify.
While the agent was super nice, she couldn't find anything, and wouldn't share the fare bucket I need to search for. Anyone have any suggestions? Using 900,000 miles just seems excessive for that flight?
What are you trying to do? Get an Y award and upgrade, or get a business class award? They require different classes. And even when those are available, there are unpublished capacity restrictions that apply to flights that have to be verified before space is manually converted.

T converts to XN (saver economy award) assuming flight is within thresholds. Add a GPU and it goes to PN (GS upgraded business class).

PZ (regular upgraded business class) can sometimes be converted into IN (saver business award) if a flight is within thresholds. I think this is a wishy-washy benefit-- certainly haven't used it in a while, possibly because PZ is a ghost lately.

You're not exactly toying around with a market in which it is easy to find premium space at a discount, much less on miles.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Thanks, as a first time GS, I am definitely not savy at this yet. I was trying to open up Business Saver Award. It sounds like I should simply book economy and use a GPU to try and upgrade us.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Thanks, as a first time GS, I am definitely not savy at this yet. I was trying to open up Business Saver Award. It sounds like I should simply book economy and use a GPU to try and upgrade us.
If there is T and PN available, you can convert T to XN (saver economy and then immediately upgrade to business JN with a GPU). If there is PZ available, you can get a business saver award IN. PZ is rarer than PN.

Another option to consider is buying a cash business ticket for yourself, at which point you can obtain an IN business saver award for a companion traveling with you regardless of fare bucket availability.

All of these benefits are subject to certain capacity restrictions that I think relate to how many business class seats would still be available (regardless of fare bucket) after the benefit is used.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
transfer miles

I don't see this in the Wiki, but can GS members get a break in gifting miles to family or friends? Or do they pay the same fee's to transfer as all other members?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:35 am

Award ticket upgrades

Has anyone else noticed significantly less upgrades for gs members and delays in clearing with many open seats? Ive had GS for about 4 years and had a lot of success finding flights with PN availability or even clearing waitlists. Then midway through last year it seems to have totally dried up. I cant find any PN flights and waitlists dont clear until inside the 3-5 day complimentary upgrade window. Even then I usually have to call again. Definitely seems like something changed but not sure if its just me.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't see this in the Wiki, but can GS members get a break in gifting miles to family or friends? Or do they pay the same fee's to transfer as all other members?
i called around the holidays to do the same (as a holiday present for the kids). GS agent said unfortunately not. She recommended just booking on their behalf with my miles when theyre ready to book. I was going to give each kid (2) 140k miles and the cost was just ridiculous!😡👎
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
No break, pay same fee
But you can always just book your friends out of your account.. and if feeling generous throw in a RPU/GPU.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by gte104v
Has anyone else noticed significantly less upgrades for gs members and delays in clearing with many open seats? Ive had GS for about 4 years and had a lot of success finding flights with PN availability or even clearing waitlists. Then midway through last year it seems to have totally dried up. I cant find any PN flights and waitlists dont clear until inside the 3-5 day complimentary upgrade window. Even then I usually have to call again. Definitely seems like something changed but not sure if its just me.
It's pretty tough to say, but yes, PN is scarce for most flights these days. Something I notice is that when P space is available with PN0, I often times clear quickly (within a few days of booking). It's anyone's guess as to what happens behind the scenes for GS instrument upgrades... but I have done pretty well this year so far, even on the elusive p.s. flights. Nothing is intuitive anymore when trying to upgrade on UA.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:45 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could, but your chances of getting upgraded might be tough. Be diligent in picking a good flight. Good luck! Let us know if you need help.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
GS email Vs Facbook messenger

I find the GS email pretty useless as they can never help you with anything in the future. Not even change a seat.

On 3 occasions Ive now used the facebook messenger app to contact United and have received amazing, quick and efficient assistance on questions about active booking.
Like change a complex saver award, fix a crazy situation when P fare changed to G fare between purchasing and ticket issuing, fix some upgrade issues due to rebooking.

So I would gladly recommend for excellent assitance !!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by benewr
I find the GS email pretty useless as they can never help you with anything in the future. Not even change a seat.

On 3 occasions I’ve now used the facebook messenger app to contact United and have received amazing, quick and efficient assistance on questions about active booking.
Like change a complex saver award, fix a crazy situation when P fare changed to G fare between purchasing and ticket issuing, fix some upgrade issues due to rebooking.

Why waste your time with seeking assistance through written communication? Just call. For the most part you will find great, helpful and accommodating agents. If you don't, HUCA.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Why waste your time with seeking assistance through written communication? Just call. For the most part you will find great, helpful and accommodating agents. If you don't, HUCA.
English is not my first language and I have anxiety speaking over the phone especially in CS situation.

It also helps to send screenshots of supporting evidences.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by benewr

On 3 occasions Ive now used the facebook messenger app to contact United and have received amazing, quick and efficient assistance on questions about active booking.

Good to know - what account do you FB messenger? Just the general united account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.