Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
GS on CPU is ahead of all non-GS even with instruments. Those are other GS ahead of you -- GA with instruments or GS with higher fare class,
I should’ve been more clear about who the “elites“ were. I am painfully aware of the fact that a GS on a CPU is ahead of all non GS even with instruments having had to suffer through this for years as a 1K and never having my instruments cllear out of SFO.
Originally Posted by LesPaul30

CPU’s are great and all but it’s certainly not guaranteed. Your odds have obviously been better but you’re flying out of a major hub or back to one- SFO.
As stated previously CPU upgrades are nice, but this isn’t the real “benefit” GS uses. Its mainly the IRROPS. The ability to throw a GPU on an award ticket is also huge for intl travel/vacations esp savor tickets, but sounds like you’re blowing through all your instruments in the two months you’ve been GS on domestic routes.
Well I have burned through many of them but I still have some left. Hopefully I’ll add to that later this year as I achieve 1K. To that point instruments seem to definitely clear easier as a GS.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 2019 at 11:46 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member per OP's request
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:46 pm

Trying to do a quick HPN-ORD trip with the wife

im on a paid fare and trying to get them to open a saver award for my wife. They cant do it since Im not in a premium cabin

there sre no premium cabins on that route.

is this a HUCA or are they right they cant do it if no T fare is avaiiibke and Im not in a premium cabin?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687

im on a paid fare and trying to get them to open a saver award for my wife. They cant do it since Im not in a premium cabin

is this a HUCA or are they right they cant do it if no T fare is avaiiibke and Im not in a premium cabin?
they are officially right, but Huca should do the trick.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+

If youre on a paid economy ticket, there is no special benefit for your wife. There needs to be T for them to open up saver award space.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jgsx

If youre on a paid economy ticket, there is no special benefit for your wife. There needs to be T for them to open up saver award space.
This is 100% correct, as I have not ever been able to get my spouse T space opened up (convert to XN) just by purchasing an economy class fare. I asked a couple times over the years and had the policy clarified.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K

ORD Global Reception line out the door today Mar 23 2019 at 7:00am

Finally figured out I could squeeze by since I wasnt checking luggage.

Last edited by roxie; Mar 23, 2019 at 11:21 am
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by roxie
ORD Global Reception line out the door today Mar 22 2019 at 7:00am
Really? Is that common? I have not been to ORD in a long time. I am not sure I have ever waited at EWR.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
W
Originally Posted by feobrien
Really? Is that common? I have not been to ORD in a long time. I am not sure I have ever waited at EWR.

Heard it is spring break here.

Last edited by roxie; Mar 23, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:05 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by roxie
ORD Global Reception line out the door today Mar 23 2019 at 7:00am
Crazy for a Saturday, but it is spring break. I have to do ORD <> MCO this Thr/Fri for work and I am already dreading that route in particular.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA GS/1Mil Flyer, Pond scum on everything else.
Originally Posted by LIH
Crazy for a Saturday, but it is spring break. I have to do ORD <> MCO this Thr/Fri for work and I am already dreading that route in particular.
You and me both (out Mon back Thursday ORD<->MCO). Good news is that Upgrade space was easy peasy.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by toddt
You and me both (out Mon back Thursday ORD<->MCO). Good news is that Upgrade space was easy peasy.
Good luck with GA sticking with the correct boarding procedure! Its irritating that soemtimes they board families with small children before GS.

Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdw1120
Good luck with GA sticking with the correct boarding procedure! Its irritating that soemtimes they board families with small children before GS.
Given that this is a special time for families travelling I can life with it. Usually, GAs are pretty good observing GS boarding priorities most of the time.
In case, early boarding is needed, I found many GAs accommodating after friendly inquiring with them at the podium.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by bdw1120

isnt that the proper order?
disabilites, military, families, GS?

HNL-EWR yesterday they boarded military and GS at the same time
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:45 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

isnt that the proper order?
disabilites, military, families, GS?

HNL-EWR yesterday they boarded military and GS at the same time
No longer the case. Families come last, after disabilities, military and GS.
Ari likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
No longer the case. Families come last, after disabilities, military and GS.
that's a great change-- when did it change?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.