Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
United must have launched a new GS Emeritus program. Just boarded UA 637 behind a guy with 2018 New York GS bag tags, but a blue boarding group header on his mobile boarding pass ��.

I have to say, I admire his swagger and confidence in claiming his Emeritus status.
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
I was behind a GS this am from EWR who had a green luggage handle wrap that looked shiny and new.. any idea what these are anyone?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
AKA GS 'Emeritus.'

jjmoore likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by greenpau
1A on the 77W is a pilot rest, sometimes released, but I don't chance it these days!
Does anyone know if there are specific parameters that dictate if 1A is ultimately used for a pilot rest? Or is it at the whim of the crew? I’m seeing it held from advanced seat selection regularly and don’t know how the assignment would typically play out if it is released....opened up for any 1k/gs (or now only gs are eligible, I understand?) or is it proactively given the the highest fare GS?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Does anyone know if there are specific parameters that dictate if 1A is ultimately used for a pilot rest? Or is it at the whim of the crew? I’m seeing it held from advanced seat selection regularly and don’t know how the assignment would typically play out if it is released....opened up for any 1k/gs (or now only gs are eligible, I understand?) or is it proactively given the the highest fare GS?
On flights which are too short to require an augmented crew, it will unblock at frame assignment (approx. T-60h). I'm not sure the mechanics for longer flights, although part of the distinction has to do with the presence or absence of crew rest facilities on the aircraft.

Also note that 1A is not blocked on the 77W; it's the 772 where this is true.
wxguy likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
On flights which are too short to require an augmented crew, it will unblock at frame assignment (approx. T-60h). I'm not sure the mechanics for longer flights, although part of the distinction has to do with the presence or absence of crew rest facilities on the aircraft.

Also note that 1A is not blocked on the 77W; it's the 772 where this is true.
Oops, right ... I am thinking of the Polarized 772.

All of the 772s going through conversion will come out the other side with new crew rest modules installed, and upgrades to the old ones in cases where they have them - will be interesting to see how this affects seat blocking when the fleet conversion is complete.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I flew on a 772 with Polaris seats that had a crew rest facility forward of door 1L, and yet it had a placard on 1A saying it was blocked for crew rest (used on the inbound int'l sector). I think there might be something contractual about it, but I'm not sure.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
I'm almost two months in to being GS for the first time and have to say, it's pretty damn amazing. The perks are definitely all about the upgrades, booking award tickets, and getting awesome agents. It literally sounds like a different airline when I call these days. And the feeling of booking me and a friend to Tokyo in Polaris with two GPUs and 70K miles total roundtrip per person is just awesome.

One thing I will say has surprised me though is that waiting on hold to speak to an agent isn't THAT uncommon... one time I even had a 15 minute wait! I tend to call late evening west coast time though, so maybe that's why.

Just thought I'd share!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I flew on a 772 with Polaris seats that had a crew rest facility forward of door 1L, and yet it had a placard on 1A saying it was blocked for crew rest (used on the inbound int'l sector). I think there might be something contractual about it, but I'm not sure.
That's correct -- it is contractual. Even with bunks, there must be a premium seat available for a resting pilot to take a meal (tough to eat in a bunk bed). It used to be 6B on the pmUA 772 before Polarization. Effective a few months ago (December?) it was changed to 1A to be consistent across the 772 fleet.

The 77W (777-300ER) has enough space for meals to be taken in the upper deck bunk, so no seat is set aside.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by rotnkornkid
I'm almost two months in to being GS for the first time and have to say, it's pretty damn amazing. The perks are definitely all about the upgrades, booking award tickets, and getting awesome agents. It literally sounds like a different airline when I call these days. And the feeling of booking me and a friend to Tokyo in Polaris with two GPUs and 70K miles total roundtrip per person is just awesome.

One thing I will say has surprised me though is that waiting on hold to speak to an agent isn't THAT uncommon... one time I even had a 15 minute wait! I tend to call late evening west coast time though, so maybe that's why.

Just thought I'd share!
Exactly the same experience! Booking tickets is awesome as a GS, but I do sometimes get 1-5 minute hold times calling late at night (from the west coast).

I wish I could call 1K in those instances, where I never had to wait before, but the system recognizes my number.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by rotnkornkid

Just thought I'd share!
I had a couple of those waits too, but that happened during the major weather irrops that were impacting the US. Otherwise, this doesn't happen.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
That's correct -- it is contractual. Even with bunks, there must be a premium seat available for a resting pilot to take a meal (tough to eat in a bunk bed). It used to be 6B on the pmUA 772 before Polarization. Effective a few months ago (December?) it was changed to 1A to be consistent across the 772 fleet.

The 77W (777-300ER) has enough space for meals to be taken in the upper deck bunk, so no seat is set aside.
Did they block more seats on the 772s which had no crew bunks?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Did they block more seats on the 772s which had no crew bunks?
Yes, but those were typically not used on the ultra-longhauls that required augmented crews. As I recall one relief pilot is needed over 8 hours block time and two over 12 hours.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Glad to hear. It is sooo much better than not being GS
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
What happens to GS saver awards that have been upgraded with a GPU to PN, and the GS is no longer GS (for instance, you make a booking for next Feb, but don't re qualify for GS in 2020). I understand this is a bit of an anomaly- but you never know!
Would UA allow this booking to stay in tact? Assuming yes if the upgrade was applied when the member was GS?

Asking for a friend
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by globetraveler
What happens to GS saver awards that have been upgraded with a GPU to PN, and the GS is no longer GS (for instance, you make a booking for next Feb, but don't re qualify for GS in 2020). I understand this is a bit of an anomaly- but you never know!
Would UA allow this booking to stay in tact? Assuming yes if the upgrade was applied when the member was GS?

Asking for a friend
They would allow it to stay in tact.
If you wanted to make changed after losing GS that may be a different story.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
They would allow it to stay in tact.
If you wanted to make changed after losing GS that may be a different story.
+1
Family member "purposely" booked this way assuming he was loosing his GS status and was told they would honor the upgrade. Turns out he got the invite anyway.

Last edited by nomad420; Mar 4, 2019 at 12:01 pm Reason: Syntex error correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.