Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Confirmed with multiple agents this year that 2 seats need to be left after pushing upgrade. I have done it multiple times this year already.

If there are other GS on the list and there are only 3 seats available, they will not do it... but in a couple cases, there were plenty of seats available, and the agent just went ahead and cleared all GS on the list, including myself.
This was always the case.
Op was saying that some agents believe the J>2 is also in regards to opening saver ..(T>2) which is wrong
jjmoore likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:24 am

Delete
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
OK, I wasn't able to put the pieces together. Without investigating the tail number history for the flight the entire discussion is speculation. It could also be it was a FAM caused change and the cover story was an aircraft change (since UA is not allowed to discuss the FAM situation - 1D is prime FAM seating on the 763 - access to both aisle at the front of the plane). My best this was a couple of quick aircraft changes (which happen) or a FAM (which you will never get an acknowledgement of)
Is there a way to know the tail number history? Prior to receiving the e-mail notifying me of the seat change, I would not have had a good reason to check, and post-notification there would presumably be the new tail number (assuming there was in fact an aircraft swap), so no way to see the old one at that point. I still think the swap theory is *extremely* remote - CDG-ORD is a 763 currently and the only swap that would have put me in 5D is a 772/3. Also, the fact that GS won't acknowledge my e-mails seems consistent with the FAM theory and inconsistent with an actual swap. Anyway, I think I've beaten this topic to death. Thanks for all the input. Always learning new things on FT!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by st530
Is there a way to know the tail number history? Prior to receiving the e-mail notifying me of the seat change, I would not have had a good reason to check, and post-notification there would presumably be the new tail number (assuming there was in fact an aircraft swap), so no way to see the old one at that point.
I usually use the FlightStats "view flight details" page:

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...htId=990617551

Look for lines like "Tail Number changed to N23707" or "Actual Equipment changed to 737"
st530 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
Cleared this week an upgrade from PremEconomy to Polaris 96 hrs in advance EWR- LHR
My wife also cleared a YN seat to BusFirst 72 hrs in advance with only two seats available EWR-STT
getagb likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raiachat
Cleared this week an upgrade from PremEconomy to Polaris 96 hrs in advance EWR- LHR
My wife also cleared a YN seat to BusFirst 72 hrs in advance with only two seats available EWR-STT
Thanks for your feedback.
Did you clear any of those by calling in?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by davie355
Doesn't the GS lobby provide access to the front of the security line?
i have CLEAR and you should too. :-)
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
No both were automatic
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
conversion PZ to IN ticket

If I am trying to convert PZ space into IN business saver space, does there need to be more than 2 remaining seats for sale after taking as many as I need? Is it limited to GS Member + 1 companion?

I am am looking to book tickets for 4 people. There are 5 PZ tickets left and 2 IN tickets available. Would I be able to do it? Can I take the 2 IN seats that are open and then do 2 conversion tickets?

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by spencerkent
If I am trying to convert PZ space into IN business saver space, does there need to be more than 2 remaining seats for sale after taking as many as I need? Is it limited to GS Member + 1 companion?

I am am looking to book tickets for 4 people. There are 5 PZ tickets left and 2 IN tickets available. Would I be able to do it? Can I take the 2 IN seats that are open and then do 2 conversion tickets?

Thanks.
i would call and do all 4 over the phone, they shouldn't make any issues
you need to leave 2 seats in J not PZ (unless your flight is J5/PZ5?

have not seen any reports stating its GS +1, although i wouldn't be surprised given the new T-XN rule is for GS +1
let us know!

ps, gotta update your signature to GS

Last edited by Kleinnaf; Feb 22, 2019 at 9:55 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by spencerkent

Thanks.
Follow-on question to this... what is the "saver" rate these days for SFO/LAX-EWR in biz? I haven't seen such an award available since they went to dynamic pricing but am realizing that booking a full fare Y ticket at 32.5k and applying an rpu because PZ is avail may not be as efficient as asking for the convert to saver Y.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Follow-on question to this... what is the "saver" rate these days for SFO/LAX-EWR in biz? I haven't seen such an award available since they went to dynamic pricing but am realizing that booking a full fare Y ticket at 32.5k and applying an rpu because PZ is avail may not be as efficient as asking for the convert to saver Y.
might be more worthwhile to open saver XN 12.5k and add an rpu
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
yes that's the go to strategy but no T for days on the dates I'm looking around (thanksgiving heavy travel days). the 25k is a better idea.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
This is not correct. The IN fare on PS flights is 35K.
wxguy likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got charged 18K miles for a 1-way coach on a PS flight booked in Sept for January travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.