Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by telemark27
For NRT, I didn’t bother calling at 72 hour mark b/c for flight 1/outbound since it was full. Happened to be at 72 hour mark of flight 2/inbound at time I was headed to airport of flight 1 (connection BOS to EWR) so was still 6 hours out. The GS agent cleared flight 2 and was way apologetic that she couldn’t do anything for that flight later that morning.

I didn’t expect to be cleared but I walked up to gate 10 mins before board and they already had my BP printed out.
Thanks for the clarification. Good to know about the 72 hrs mark for your second/inbound flight!
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Two agents in a row wouldn’t convert T->XN because T was less than 3. Third agent did it no problem. Sigh.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by getagb
Two agents in a row wouldn’t convert T->XN because T was less than 3. Third agent did it no problem. Sigh.
Thanks for posting. Good you did not give up after two tries.
The next FT who encountered this issue please ask if this T>2 a new rule?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
GS GPU - 72 hour window - manually cleared by GS Agent

I've definitely this in the past. Most recently on an award ticket I booked for a friend.

I gave a colleague of mine one of my GPU's. GS agent says it cannot be pushed through because he is not also GS (it's based on his status, not mine). Flight is J7 @ 48 hours out.

Is this a HUCA situation?
benewr likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I've definitely this in the past. Most recently on an award ticket I booked for a friend.

I gave a colleague of mine one of my GPU's. GS agent says it cannot be pushed through because he is not also GS (it's based on his status, not mine). Flight is J7 @ 48 hours out.

Yes. I did this yesterday for my son. Assuming there aren't 5 actual GS waiting on the upgrade list, you shouldn't have an issue.
benewr likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

I think T-72 rule is only for GS, not for people sponsored by GS GPU
wxguy likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond

I've done this twice for sponsored GPUs lately - I've called at T-72 and they have pushed them through. Interestingly, when waitlisted at the gate with no status, I am now noticing that they are not waitlisted for PN, but PZ and put at the bottom of the upgrade list below all other upgraders and just above NRSAs. This is new and was not the case before.

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Thanks for posting. Good you did not give up after two tries.
The next FT who encountered this issue please ask if this T>2 a new rule?
This is a common point of agent confusion between the concept of fare class and cabin. There need to be >2 seats for sale in the cabin, not the fare class.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:01 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kb1992
I think T-72 rule is only for GS, not for people sponsored by GS GPU
in 2019 I have used the T-72 rule to force upgrades for 6 non-GS pax supported by my GS GPU (without me being on any of those flights). I have only used it for myself once. I have only had one of those agents tell me I couldn't do it for one reason or another, which was quickly rectified by the next agent.

Either I'm a huge outlier or the status of the pax doesn't matter. It's the status of the GPU.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Now that we have visibility into the upgrade lists of all eligible travellers (including CPUs), regardless of whether passengers have checked in, it appears that GS-sponsored upgrades now carry the status of the GS member right up to departure time. In the past, I believe upgrade priority shifted to the traveller's status close to departure. This would be a big positive enhancement for GS customers and their points.

Today, I applied GS points to my general member daughter for a PS flight tonight and she ranks #1 on a long waitlist. In the past, on the day of departure (upon check in), she would rank toward the bottom of any upgrade list with my cert. I am not sure what will happen to the upgrade list when the airport takes over control of the flight later today. Hopefully, nothing changes!

Can UA Insider confirm the way upgrades are processed within 24 hours has changed with the PointsPlus conversion? Is this indeed an enhancement we can celebrate?

Last edited by dkc715; Dec 4, 2019 at 10:17 am
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by dkc715
Now that we have visibility into the upgrade lists of all eligible travellers (including CPUs), regardless of whether passengers have checked in, it appears that GS-sponsored upgrades now carry the status of the GS member right up to departure time. In the past, I believe upgrade priority shifted to the traveller's status close to departure. This would be a big positive enhancement for GS customers and their points.

Today, I applied GS points to my general member daughter for a PS flight tonight and she ranks #1 on a long waitlist. In the past, on the day of departure (upon check in), she would rank toward the bottom of any upgrade list with my cert. I am not sure what will happen to the upgrade list when the airport takes over control of the flight later today. Hopefully, nothing changes!

Can UA Insider confirm the way upgrades are processed within 24 hours has changed with the PointsPlus conversion? Is this indeed an enhancement we can celebrate?
This is correct. I put my wife on a gpu upgrade last week without me and she has no status.

Although it didn't clear, she was #1 out of 30+ on both outbound and return.
dkc715 and LIH like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dkc715

Agreed if true, this is big improvement for GS sponsored upgrades.

IME, under airport control in the past, non-status pax sponsored by GS instruments were often ranked at bottom. Hope this is no longer the case moving forward.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by kb1992
Agreed if true, this is big improvement for GS sponsored upgrades.
Yes but only if they still allow us to call and push through at T-72h ...
LIH likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
GS Phone line hold times

Is anyone else experiencing the longer than usual hold times for GS? I have called a few times over the last couple of days and have been on hold for 5-10 mins on each instance. It's kinda frustrating to see how united is trying so hard to ruin this program!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I haven't tried to push it through, but it appears that award tickets can now be upgraded online with PlusPoints rather than manually - anyone managed to confirm one? If true this would be a big ^
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I haven't tried to push it through, but it appears that award tickets can now be upgraded online with PlusPoints rather than manually - anyone managed to confirm one? If true this would be a big ^
If this is true, any chance they can be used for awards booked out of someone else account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.