Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by lagunas2k
Anyone else have data points on this? This is very lame if this is true.
I’ve been dropped off twice in the last week curbside by uberX drivers. I think the other driver was misinformed.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:43 am

More on downgrading SFO GS service

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Not only the long walk from T3 to international, to use T3 we have to take the long route to domestic terminal that is behind the international terminal, maneuver through the cross-merging traffic of domestic arrival, then struggle over the slow and congested long line of cars passing T1 and then T2 before eventually merging back into the traffic to reach T3. Why UA wants international GS passengers to make this long detour and then walk back to international terminal, easily wasting 5-10 minutes? Why can't you let us check in at international GS as before while allowing 1K/polaris to move over whenever the counter is empty? It makes absolutely no sense.
Here is their official response:

The decision to close our GS check-in was not an easy one. We decided to allocate our resources to where we thought it would be most beneficial to our Global Services members. While I can certainly understand your frustration with this decision, we continue to offer our Global Services members a wide variety of benefits.

At this time we do not anticipate reinstating the international GS check-in....”

i am not sure where the “resources” have gone. No new Mercedes running around, GS lobby always well staffed, no sighting of any GS in the Polaris lounge. I want to say “here kitty, kitty” and see if anyone pops out.

I suggest emailing GS as perhaps more input could cause the 1 or 2 fools who decided to reinvent this process to be over ruled. I trust this could be the trend at airports elsewhere so slippery slope and all.
iluv2fly and benewr like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Over a year ago, they eliminated the GS check-in counter at SIN (and I'm told some other Asian cities too). I was pissed off about this and made it my mission to complain (with the help of other GS) and reinstate it. Lo and behold, they now have a GS check-in line back at SIN.

It's ironic that, given the population of GS who travel internationally from SFO, they have eliminated that perk. What are they thinking? I promise that I will send in a complaint about this and I encourage everyone to do the same. Perhaps they may reevaluate this decision.
wxguy, meducate and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Surf1

The decision to close our GS check-in was not an easy one. We decided to allocate our resources to where we thought it would be most beneficial to our Global Services members. While I can certainly understand your frustration with this decision, we continue to offer our Global Services members a wide variety of benefits.

At this time we do not anticipate reinstating the international GS check-in....”

i am not sure where the “resources” have gone. No new Mercedes running around, GS lobby always well staffed, no sighting of any GS in the Polaris lounge. I want to say “here kitty, kitty” and see if anyone pops out.

I suggest emailing GS as perhaps more input could cause the 1 or 2 fools who decided to reinvent this process to be over ruled. I trust this could be the trend at airports elsewhere so slippery slope and all.
United seems to think they can only offer a GS checkin if they have the resources to have someone with a yellow scarf or tie operating it. I'd be happy to check-in at the counter with a regular agent - all that's necessary is a dedicated lane.
iluv2fly, canadiancow and Surf1 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

Have now become well aware of the fact of no GS check at international. Wife just left for ICN and was encourage to use the GS check at T3 by agents at the International counter during last international flights as was I. We have been now checking in at T3 (I think it is Door 3) at the GS lobby. It works and she prefers the Centurion Lounge to Polaris (hey what can I say) so she hits that lounge on her walk over the the International Gates. I guess it is what it is now.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
i am not sure where the “resources” have gone. No new Mercedes running around, GS lobby always well staffed...
That may be the problem right there. It seems like most of the time I go through the lobby there are two (and often three) agents there just shooting the breeze.

A few times now, I've missed a connection because I got no help and nobody was at the gate to provide replacement boarding passes. But when I went back out through security to the lobby, I found 3 GS agents there doing nothing.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by villox
United seems to think they can only offer a GS checkin if they have the resources to have someone with a yellow scarf or tie operating it. I'd be happy to check-in at the counter with a regular agent - all that's necessary is a dedicated lane.
BOS is often staffed by a regular (i.e. non-gold scarf) agent. The GS chute is just to the left of 1K/Polaris. Usually if the agent working the GS counter is busy, the 1K/Polaris agent will call over any GS in the queue ahead of a 1K. The system works well.
porciuscato likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by villox
Totally agree! I told them there is no “new” resource needed. Of the 2-3 agents checking in the biz, 1Ks and our platinum friends, one can move under a GS banner so technically, there are still the same amount of people working there. And when no GS present, they can help others ... like at all the other airports. No need for a yellow scarf — computer works the same for any of them.

I see this as a UA trial balloon.
canadiancow and porciuscato like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Is there GS checkin at EWR Terminal A?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond

Totally agree! I told them there is no “new” resource needed. Of the 2-3 agents checking in the biz, 1Ks and our platinum friends, one can move under a GS banner so technically, there are still the same amount of people working there. And when no GS present, they can help others ... like at all the other airports. No need for a yellow scarf — computer works the same for any of them.

I have to say, I really don't understand the implementation logic here ... it is no different than the TSA agent alternating ID checking between the GS passenger line and the other GS passenger line. There is no need to change staffing at the International check in desks - just keep the GS chute and take anyone showing up there from the front of the line, as needed.

I wrote in last year after ZRH consolidated the separate lane into one single "GS/1K/Polaris" Lane ... it was overcrowded and took me 45 minutes to drop a bag. I wrote in my message a suggestion of an additional GS-specific chute at peak times, as all agents are contract and non-UA employees anyway, and they can take people from different lines. I received a response from the ZRH station manager herself, and the line reappeared following this exact protocol.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore

They've sorta tried this with the Denver check-in area. It doesn't work well. When 1K members stand there and watch multiple GS members get to pass them in line, it leaves a bad taste. Conversely, GS members don't like waiting for 1K members to finish up if they're already with an agent. Probably best to keep the status-specific check-in areas separate.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
While not trying to defend UA move with removal of the GS line at the international terminal I have to admit it has been easy going through the GS lobby at T3. As several observed there is almost never a line. They will still process everything and take your bags. You get right through TSA with the "side door" entry. I just stroll down to the international gates and if I have time stop by the PL which is right on the way. Just a reminder as I have goofed up on this. If you are taking a cab/limo to the airport you do have to remember to tell them to go to T3 to check in.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
They've sorta tried this with the Denver check-in area. It doesn't work well. When 1K members stand there and watch multiple GS members get to pass them in line, it leaves a bad taste. Conversely, GS members don't like waiting for 1K members to finish up if they're already with an agent. Probably best to keep the status-specific check-in areas separate.
I think the idea is move from 3 people checking in GS/1K/J to 2 people checking 1K/J and 1 person checking in GS (and taking people from the 1K line if GS line is empty).

I would not mind this arrangement if I was in the 1K line. Total throughput is the same and 1K line keeps moving regardless of GS line (i.e. a trickle of GS showing up can't occupy all of the agents and block the 1K line from moving), while at the same time getting GS through the line quicker, waiting for at maximum one 1K in process in front of them.

In fact I would probably prefer this to a dedicated GS agent (or a whole lobby of them) who won't process 1K even if no GS show up for an hour.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Is there GS checkin at EWR Terminal A?
Nope. It's the worst of all hubs. Even the "Premier Access" counter was not staffed every single time I passed by in the last several weeks (had a sign saying agents were servicing flights).

Everyone lines up in the regular check-in line to check bags, then the same TSA line (precheck can fast-track ID check but join everyone else - in a single long line - for x-ray).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Amb
For all this complaining around check-in lines, I have to remind you as Global Service members we get to use the Polaris Lounge when we are traveling in Polaris! This is the most generous of GS benefits.
canadiancow, YumYumcake and benewr like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.