Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by getagb

Have not seen any reports of this but would be surprised if they said no. Please give it a try (or a few tries since PE is new) and let us know

Just booked one T->XN ORD-NRT. I actually just called to request an award flight and the agent checked for T and did the conversion unprompted. 👍
I called and the agent went so far as to call a supervisor but no luck, only clear into Polaris not into PP
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by bdw1120
Question on overnight delays - I was told by a GS agent that domestic trips delayed overnight are no longer eligible for hotel accommodation since this year; United will only pay for international delays. Anyone knows more on that?
That has been true for a while. They will give you food vouchers.

Even on international flights, I have paid out of pocket -- mostly because I don't want to stand in line for a voucher.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 3 MM, CLEAR
Question on overnight delays - I was told by a GS agent that domestic trips delayed overnight are no longer eligible for hotel accommodation since this year; United will only pay for international delays. Anyone knows more on that?
Yesterday, I had flights RAP-DEN-IAH-BTR. Missed connection in DEN, so was not able to get original IAH-BTR, which would have arrived about 7:30 PM. Was subsequently booked on the IAH-BTR that was to arrive at BTR about 10:30 PM. Got a text that the flight would not depart until 1:15 AM due to crew availability. I decided to take the early morning IAH-BTR flight and the UC agent booked me into the Marriott at the airport - no charge, also gave me $40 in vouchers. GS called shortly thereafter and wanted to make sure everything was set. GS agent told me they would have booked me into the Marriott as well, had not the UC agent done so. So, not dead yet.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:13 pm

Thread here discussing the policy:

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Maybe rep was confusing the *G rule with the GS/1K rule?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Do we know if original routing credit counts towards GS qualification? I couldn't find anything with a quick search.
I just got rebooked from UA metal to TK metal due to IRROPS (drones at EWR!) and am wondering if I'm going to end up losing this $8k in PQD
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Scifience
Do we know if original routing credit counts towards GS qualification? I couldn't find anything with a quick search.
I just got rebooked from UA metal to TK metal due to IRROPS (drones at EWR!) and am wondering if I'm going to end up losing this $8k in PQD
call in and request orc. You will gewicredit for the original itinerary. PQD, PQM, PQS, and lifetime miles. I'm pretty sure those PQD will still help you.

Don't forget to double dip for miles... open up a TK account. Do this once your orc has posted to UA.
Scifience likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Scifience
Just make sure you ask for both the original PQM and PQD. I'd say with about 90% certainty, the PQD will count toward GS. One year, subtracting a rebook similar to yours would have put me under $40K, but I still got GS.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by RAPUAFlyer
Yesterday, I had flights RAP-DEN-IAH-BTR. Missed connection in DEN, so was not able to get original IAH-BTR, which would have arrived about 7:30 PM. Was subsequently booked on the IAH-BTR that was to arrive at BTR about 10:30 PM. Got a text that the flight would not depart until 1:15 AM due to crew availability. I decided to take the early morning IAH-BTR flight and the UC agent booked me into the Marriott at the airport - no charge, also gave me $40 in vouchers. GS called shortly thereafter and wanted to make sure everything was set. GS agent told me they would have booked me into the Marriott as well, had not the UC agent done so. So, not dead yet.
Good to hear. I had ~5 overnight stays like that last year. It would be very bad if they changed the policy. Be sure to close the shades at the Marriott. Just sayin'
Plane-is-home and LIH like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
this would be a change, becuase previously, they would be ahead of all 1k's. i was told the same on the phone, but i won't believe it until we have enough data points to verify.
I don't think it's a change.
Last summer I sponsored one of my GS GPU for a non status friend from LHR to EWR and he was 15 out of 16 on the upgrade list.

And this wasn't the first time I observed that.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by benewr
I don't think it's a change.
Last summer I sponsored one of my GS GPU for a non status friend from LHR to EWR and he was 15 out of 16 on the upgrade list.

And this wasn't the first time I observed that.
The system doesnt always recognize it correctly when it's for a non status pax.
Calling can help, huca if agent says she can't do it.
I've done this a few times.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
The system doesnt always recognize it correctly when it's for a non status pax.
Calling can help, huca if agent says she can't do it.
I've done this a few times.
Two different GS agents said the non status rank was correct. One went as far as saying "it wouldn't be fair if the non status customer beat 1Ks, just because the cert came from a GS customer". Kleinnaf -- what exactly should we ask? I am told the list is under airport control and the agents can't touch the upgrade list. And the gate agents won't want to be bothered.

Seems pretty obvious the correct strategy is to pull all uncleared RPUs/GPUs when sponsoring non status customers just before the 24 hour mark. Then, watch the inventory and the moment a seat opens up, usually all fare classes open and you can call, apply and clear the upgrade.

Drives me crazy that PN, PZ, and IN all went to 1 yesterday, 2 hours before the flight. Even a new award booking would have snared saver first class. Broken system going back to the merger.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA GS
Last night my DTW/sfo flight was delayed due to the airport closing. I called the GS line and they advised me to book my hotel and submit for reimbursement. We'll see what happens.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by dkc715
Two different GS agents said the non status rank was correct. One went as far as saying "it wouldn't be fair if the non status customer beat 1Ks, just because the cert came from a GS customer". Kleinnaf -- what exactly should we ask? I am told the list is under airport control and the agents can't touch the upgrade list. And the gate agents won't want to be bothered.

Seems pretty obvious the correct strategy is to pull all uncleared RPUs/GPUs when sponsoring non status customers just before the 24 hour mark. Then, watch the inventory and the moment a seat opens up, usually all fare classes open and you can call, apply and clear the upgrade.

Drives me crazy that PN, PZ, and IN all went to 1 yesterday, 2 hours before the flight. Even a new award booking would have snared saver first class. Broken system going back to the merger.
PM sent.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
I should probably know this already so apologize for the dummy question. I'm GS already (2019 is my third year) but I'm always chasing the miles to ensure my status will renew as I always feel I'm on the "borderline".

I need to fly ORD-NRT roundtrip in a few weeks for business (full fare refundable but corporate contract means it's usually in Z on UA at least) and traditionally have always flown UA metal. However this time the NH flight time works better for my schedule; I'd probably still have the corporate travel agency book as an 016 ticket (but it may or may not work out that way depending on whether corporately we get a decent fare directly through NH). What's the forum's best understanding (given the GS equation is opaque) on the potential implication on choosing NH/non-016 ticket vs full on UA flight/016 ticket, as to PQD, PQM, and credit towards GS requalifying? My understanding is that flying NH I'd still get PQM credit, but unclear on PQD, and I'm assuming the PQMs probably wouldn't "count as much" if the $ don't count the same for purposes of GS requalifying?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bluepig1
I should probably know this already so apologize for the dummy question. I'm GS already (2019 is my third year) but I'm always chasing the miles to ensure my status will renew as I always feel I'm on the "borderline".

I need to fly ORD-NRT roundtrip in a few weeks for business (full fare refundable but corporate contract means it's usually in Z on UA at least) and traditionally have always flown UA metal. However this time the NH flight time works better for my schedule; I'd probably still have the corporate travel agency book as an 016 ticket (but it may or may not work out that way depending on whether corporately we get a decent fare directly through NH). What's the forum's best understanding (given the GS equation is opaque) on the potential implication on choosing NH/non-016 ticket vs full on UA flight/016 ticket, as to PQD, PQM, and credit towards GS requalifying? My understanding is that flying NH I'd still get PQM credit, but unclear on PQD, and I'm assuming the PQMs probably wouldn't "count as much" if the $ don't count the same for purposes of GS requalifying?
The only spend that counts towards GS is when you are on UA metal. No Globe, no GS.
wxguy, bluepig1, jjmoore and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.