Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What's the standard procedure for companions in the GS check-in/security at SFO?

The security guy was taking one pax from the GS line, then one from regular Pre✓, but between my GS and I getting called up, another line sent about 10 pax into our line, splitting us up completely, to the point that had I used CLEAR, we would have both been through quicker.
I think that you should have made the TSA agent aware that you were traveling together.

Originally Posted by uanj
This is pretty normal. Come to think of it, ORD is the same way also. But at least at ORD you join the security line closer to the scanning machines.
You are right. However, the last time we were at ORD when a GS appeared from the side door, the TSA agent asked me if I was traveling with the person he had just checked the documents. I was, since the person in front of me was my wife. So, he asked the GS to wait and checked my documents before taking care of the GS.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What's the standard procedure for companions in the GS check-in/security at SFO?

The security guy was taking one pax from the GS line, then one from regular Pre✓, but between my GS and I getting called up, another line sent about 10 pax into our line, splitting us up completely, to the point that had I used CLEAR, we would have both been through quicker.
Whenever I'm traveling with someone else, we just approach the TSA officer podium together. Done this hundreds of times over the years without incident or complaint from the officer, so I assume they expect this from people traveling together.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
as a GS, if I buy PE, can I force an upgrade for a companion just like with paid F?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by jk2013

hopefully this change was just a miscommunication. As others said in the 2018 thread, this was one of the main benefits of GS
I just booked three saver fares through T inventory SFO-OGG...no problem. I also booked my mom EWR -SFO through T inventory without an issue.

Last edited by Code_Red; Jan 21, 2019 at 12:58 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
as a GS, if I buy PE, can I force an upgrade for a companion just like with paid F?
Have not seen any reports of this but would be surprised if they said no. Please give it a try (or a few tries since PE is new) and let us know

Originally Posted by Code_Red
I just booked three saver fares through T inventory SFO-OGG...no problem. I also booked my mom EWR -SFO through T inventory without an issue.
Just booked one T->XN ORD-NRT. I actually just called to request an award flight and the agent checked for T and did the conversion unprompted. 👍
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Was I just lucky?

On flight SFO - IAD today with on a cheap (T) fare and was trying to upgrade with a CPU. Rebooking in J would have been $1,000+ and T-72 was J1, so was resigned to flying in Y. When I checked in (at about T-28 because of originating connecting flight), up popped a TOD (which I grabbed). Does anyone know if GS get some priority for TODs, or was I just lucky?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
On flight SFO - IAD today with on a cheap (T) fare and was trying to upgrade with a CPU. Rebooking in J would have been $1,000+ and T-72 was J1, so was resigned to flying in Y. When I checked in (at about T-28 because of originating connecting flight), up popped a TOD (which I grabbed). Does anyone know if GS get some priority for TODs, or was I just lucky?
How much was it? I thouht GS/1k didn't get TOD offers.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
How much was it? I thouht GS/1k didn't get TOD offers.
as far as I have ever experienced, GS/1K do not get preferential offers over lower status folks or those with no status.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
$310

There were 7 GS in J, 6 in Y on the flight.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
I was under the impression that certificates from a GS account were quite valuable when applied to non-status friends/family if they are traveling without you. That may be true up until 24 hours prior to the flight (when you may be able to "force" the upgrade), but I discovered today that on the day of departure the cert doesn't mean much. My non-status son, travelling alone on my GS regional upgrade from EWR to SFO on a T fare is sorting near last on a long upgrade list. Does that make sense? Does he fall behind 1Ks on their own certs? I thought the GS cert trumps 1K certs, or is that only up until 24 hours before the flight?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc715
I was under the impression that certificates from a GS account were quite valuable when applied to non-status friends/family if they are traveling without you. That may be true up until 24 hours prior to the flight (when you may be able to "force" the upgrade), but I discovered today that on the day of departure the cert doesn't mean much. My non-status son, travelling alone on my GS regional upgrade from EWR to SFO on a T fare is sorting near last on a long upgrade list. Does that make sense? Does he fall behind 1Ks on their own certs? I thought the GS cert trumps 1K certs, or is that only up until 24 hours before the flight?
Your son should be after all GS and before all 1K. He can ask the gate agent to double check. On EWR-SFO, half the plane might be GS though.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by getagb

Your son should be after all GS and before all 1K. He can ask the gate agent to double check. On EWR-SFO, half the plane might be GS though.
Are you sure that's how it works on the battlefield? I don't believe that's correct.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Thanks Getagb. My impression as well, but I just called GS and she claimed he would rank on his own status (or lack thereof) even on my GS upgrade, since I am not travelling with him. The wiki on the "Understanding the Upgrade List" doesn't spell out the order in this case. FYI -- He is now ranked 14th out of 18 on tonight's PS flight. She said the list was correct, and those above him are not on GS certs. UGH. This is contrary to everything I believed about the list.

I fear Stevenshev is correct -- on the battlefield all that matters is your own status, followed by fare.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by dkc715
Thanks Getagb. My impression as well, but I just called GS and she claimed he would rank on his own status (or lack thereof) even on my GS upgrade, since I am not travelling with him. The wiki on the "Understanding the Upgrade List" doesn't spell out the order in this case. FYI -- He is now ranked 14th out of 18 on tonight's PS flight. She said the list was correct, and those above him are not on GS certs. UGH. This is contrary to everything I believed about the list.

I fear Stevenshev is correct -- on the battlefield all that matters is your own status, followed by fare.
this would be a change, becuase previously, they would be ahead of all 1k's. i was told the same on the phone, but i won't believe it until we have enough data points to verify.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Question on overnight delays - I was told by a GS agent that domestic trips delayed overnight are no longer eligible for hotel accommodation since this year; United will only pay for international delays. Anyone knows more on that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.