Four Cheese Ravioli
Lemon Vinaigrette, yellow beets, sautéed leeks
served with salad

Quinoa Salad with grilled chicken
Kale, bell pepper, apple, tomato
served with fruit

(NOT ON MENU BUT OFFERED....)
Lobster Mac and Cheese
I am assuming the Lobster Mac and Cheese was the mid flight snack and not ordered, I find many crews offer the mid flight snack for pre arrival when they have it. Having to choose between that and the ravioli would be hard as they are the two best UA domestic F meals. But good to know when I take this flight in a few weeks to see if Lobster Mac and Cheese is on the secret menu
​​men
Old May 21, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
UA28 SIN-SFO May 14

Apologies for the atrociously bad appetizer pic. Maybe it's because it really wasn't to my taste...
Decided to go for the Malay perch fillet for the main, had very low expectations based on its appearance, but it did taste good, so that was a pleasant surprise. Real shame about the pre-plated meals. Had one each of the mini-cakes for dessert, and they were good.
Passed out immediately after dinner, and woke up about 5-6 hours a bit peckish, so I asked a FA to make me a grilled cheese and tomato soup. Can't go wrong with that one.
Second meal of congee was great, and I'll definitely be taking it over the bakmi goreng in the future.

Last edited by Santander; May 22, 2019 at 9:52 pm
Old May 22, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
That Malay-style baked perch fish fillet looks pathetic. Also, is 3 pre-arrival options the new standard on some flights?
ATLintheair likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Precisely as predicted, the fish entree plate with the stains and burned food perfectly illustrates how tacky and low rent the pre-plated meals are. Fine for domestic, but with international competition and the price charged its simply pathetic.
gcashin likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Flew EWR-NRT-ORD recently and had an overall positive experience. Had the spicy chicken on the way out and it was as good as always. Coming back, had soy and ginger? chicken with rice and it was surprisingly good.

Mid flight grilled cheese on the way out came without soup for some odd reason, but was very nice on the way back with proactive offers for seconds.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by ATLintheair
Precisely as predicted, the fish entree plate with the stains and burned food perfectly illustrates how tacky and low rent the pre-plated meals are. Fine for domestic, but with international competition and the price charged its simply pathetic.
The poster said it tasted good. If that's the case, who cares what it looks like?

Don't you want to eat something delicious in international business class?
wrp96 and N104UA like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dilanesp
The poster said it tasted good. If that's the case, who cares what it looks like?

I want it to taste great and look great.
st530 and oopl like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec

Yes, it tasted fine, but UA purports "restaurant-quality dining" in Polaris Business, which this was clearly not. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the meal to closer resemble one at a mid-range restaurant rather than a TV dinner.
st530, gcashin and oopl like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ATLintheair

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I want it to taste great and look great.
Originally Posted by Santander
Yes, it tasted fine, but UA purports "restaurant-quality dining" in Polaris Business, which this was clearly not. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the meal to closer resemble one at a mid-range restaurant rather than a TV dinner.
Always interesting to compare: Both flights this week, with pre-arrival (2nd meal) breakfast service after a long-haul afternoon / evening flight.
Quality on the TG flight was also much better. Multiple bread choices, which were all delicious.
And this was actually one of the better looking United meals I have had recently. Instead of burned-on food residue, I got the water residue in the bottom of the dish.

Old May 23, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
PVG-ORD May 22, 2019.

The Champagne was Ayala Vintage 2009.
However, there was a funny business about it. My wife was traveling with me (that's important for the rest of the story). The first glass of Champagne was served out of our sight. When it came time for our first refill, the flight attendant came with the bottle but his hand was covering the label. My wife asked to see the label: it was Chandon Sparkling Wine. My wife had seen that the flight attendant had brought ten minutes earlier some Ayala to a passenger sitting in Row 10. At that time, he had bypassed us even though our glasses were empty (we were in Row 9). My wife questioned why she was being served a sparkling wine. The attendant said that only one bottle of Champagne had been loaded in the plane and blamed it to the over-consumption of Champagne on the outbound flight. A little more discussion about it from my wife's part. Then the flight attendant said that there was another sparkling wine loaded and would my wife like to see it. She said yes. What appeared was the Ayala Vintage 2009. That's what we got for our second and third glasses.

The appetizer was mozzarella, roasted tomato and cucumber. First, I don't like having a salad for an appetizer. I like smoked salmon, tuna or shrimp. Second, I don't know where United sourced that mozzarella. It was pure plastic.

Originally Posted by narvik
Nice photo!I admit that, although it tasted good, mine did NOT look like what you took a photo of.
The sauce did not cover the salmon, but it appeared to be nicely seared instead. I'd say your version looks more appetizing (but then again, your photos always make it look fantastic! ) Will definitely have this dish again in the future (if still available).
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Yes, the salmon dish was nice. I had it twice this month ex-China.
You get salmon, we get tilapia. My wife ordered it since the other choices were not appealing. It was a greyish overcooked mess and was not good. I ordered the beef fillet. It was not good either. Maybe United knew that we enjoyed too many good meals in our two weeks stay in Shanghai and needed to diet as both of us left most of the dishes untouched. I wish that there was one of the chicken alternatives to the spicy chicken but on our flight it was chicken stuffed with prunes. Like I'm going to eat that. The 4th choice was a vegetable lasagna.

There were no macarons. The Purser told my wife that they are only loaded on flights from Europe. Really? We had them on our last flight from HKG and there was enough supply that we could get some for dessert and then some more a few hours later when we found them provided in the galley for the snacks.

There were no arrival chocolates.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I noticed above the SIN-SFO offered a vegetarian main course on both meals, one Indian and one “Asian”. Is that typical (guaranteed)? I will be doing SFO-SIN and vv and am nearly 100% veg preference these days.

I usually preorder ASian Veg (AVML) but wondering if I can just roll the dice. Thoughts?
Old May 23, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
...The Champagne was Ayala Vintage 2009.
However, there was a funny business about it. My wife was traveling with me (that's important for the rest of the story). The first glass of Champagne was served out of our sight. When it came time for our first refill, the flight attendant came with the bottle but his hand was covering the label. My wife asked to see the label: it was Chandon Sparkling Wine. My wife had seen that the flight attendant had brought ten minutes earlier some Ayala to a passenger sitting in Row 10. At that time, he had bypassed us even though our glasses were empty (we were in Row 9). My wife questioned why she was being served a sparkling wine. The attendant said that only one bottle of Champagne had been loaded in the plane and blamed it to the over-consumption of Champagne on the outbound flight. A little more discussion about it from my wife's part. Then the flight attendant said that there was another sparkling wine loaded and would my wife like to see it. She said yes. What appeared was the Ayala Vintage 2009. That's what we got for our second and third glasses...
While I'm glad they're finally serving decent champagne, it is still embarrassing that insufficient amounts are provided and/or selectively handed out.
I recall a time on UA900 where there were just 2 bottles of champagne for all of BF. GF wasn't even catered, because it was full of non-revs, so they gave one of the bottles to them, leaving just 6 glasses of champagne to be shared across all of business class.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
UA 900 SFO-LHR Menus 5/21/19

No food pictures, only menus.

Main meal choices

Arrival meal choices

Wine choices.

I had the short rib, which was very good. Service was very good if a little rushed. Champagne was Lanson, but I couldn't see if it was vintage or not. I asked what reds were available (for the beef), and was told a Malbec, the Colby Red Blend and a cab. I asked for the cab, have no idea what it was other than a total fruit bomb.

I slept the rest of the flight so no idea what the snacks were or how he arrival dishes were.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
PVG-ORD May 22, 2019.

The Champagne was Ayala Vintage 2009.
However, there was a funny business about it. My wife was traveling with me (that's important for the rest of the story). The first glass of Champagne was served out of our sight. When it came time for our first refill, the flight attendant came with the bottle but his hand was covering the label. My wife asked to see the label: it was Chandon Sparkling Wine. My wife had seen that the flight attendant had brought ten minutes earlier some Ayala to a passenger sitting in Row 10. At that time, he had bypassed us even though our glasses were empty (we were in Row 9). My wife questioned why she was being served a sparkling wine. The attendant said that only one bottle of Champagne had been loaded in the plane and blamed it to the over-consumption of Champagne on the outbound flight. A little more discussion about it from my wife's part. Then the flight attendant said that there was another sparkling wine loaded and would my wife like to see it. She said yes. What appeared was the Ayala Vintage 2009. That's what we got for our second and third glasses.
Wow! That's a lot of concealment on the FA's part!

You get salmon, we get tilapia. My wife ordered it since the other choices were not appealing. It was a greyish overcooked mess and was not good.
Urghh. Sorry to hear.
Hope you get a chance to taste the GOOD fish that UA_Flyer and I had. Definitely a highlight!

There were no macarons. The Purser told my wife that they are only loaded on flights from Europe. Really?
Pure lies!

There were no arrival chocolates.
If it's the same old 99.9% Kremelta-fat ones, that are tasteless and an abomination of even being called "chocolate", you didn't miss much!
Old May 23, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Lobster mac (also usual grilled cheese & tomato soup) available for mid-flight snack on IAH-SYD yesterday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.