Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
UA945: FRA-ORD in July 2019

No printed menus loaded.
”German breakfast” was slices of turkey deli meat, roast beef, two cherry tomatoes, wedge of unidentified cheese, lettuce, and a hard boiled egg. One would think at least a wurst would be included, but perhaps that has been cut. Seemed like the 2019-era domestic first “protein” breakfast with double the turkey and roast beef.
Other choices were eggs and steak, omelette, and I think a sweet option.

Arrival snack was choice of mac and cheese, burger, or vegetarian chili.

I don’t understand skimping a few marginal dollars on the meal, because otherwise Polaris is a very solid product, with the seat, bedding, and lounge.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by lrdpenn

I don’t understand skimping a few marginal dollars on the meal, because otherwise Polaris is a very solid product, with the seat, bedding, and lounge.
Totally agree. The mid-flight snacks are downgraded significantly too. Made to order noodle soup now becomes cheap cup ramen.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Scott Kirby, probably will go down as one of the most avid bean counters of his era.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Here are the July Australia menus:
03JUL IAH-SYD
Dinner:
Seared beef short rib
Spicy chicken
Grilled butterfish
Ginger & butternut squash mezzaluna (vegetarian)

Breakfast:
Caprese omelet
Fruit & cereal

I didn't eat dinner, and had cereal for breakfast, so no idea about the omelet
msmoxie likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
07JUL SYD-IAH
Lunch:
Seared beef fillet
Chicken stuffed with mintbush and ricotta
Seared barramundi fish fillet (I had this, was pretty good)
Cheese & spinach ravioli

Breakfast:
Cheese omelet
Fruit & cereal
msmoxie likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bdw1120

Totally agree. The mid-flight snacks are downgraded significantly too. Made to order noodle soup now becomes cheap cup ramen.
Which PMUA used to serve as a midflight snack on transpacs. In Y.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
SFO-SIN
UA 29 11:25am departure

One good thing about this flight is that the 2nd meal is appropriate to the time of day. Not like so many other flights where you arrive afternoon/evening and end up with a breakfast service. Regarding upthread comments on the ravioli, I would have liked it better if it were dryer. It was swimming in oil
This is interesting. The second meal looks like a full meal almost like the first meal. This is quite different from the SFO-PVG/HKG legs where your second meal is a light breakfast.

I guess it's because SIN is such a long flight that they are willing to give a little more to the second meal.
tarheelnj likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
NRT-EWR
UA78

Boeing 777-300ER
Meal: dinner, breakfast

Same menu as posted above: Post 705, attached again below. Champagne was Beaumont des Crayères. Business class was around 80% full, meal service finished in under 2h even with some suspended service due to turbulence.

Menu

Appetizer - I liked the dried lotus root, would have been better with a Japanese dressing

Main - sea bass

Dessert - sundae

Breakfast - mackerel, and bread was only that plain bun, no choice of croissant or cinnamon bun
onthesam, AeRoSpaceman and narvik like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Meant to post a few weeks ago but slipped my mind. Flew EWR-LIM-IAH in (fake) Polaris at the end of June. High level details below and happy to share more if people have specific questions.

EWR-LIM 752
-only 3 menu choices: beef, chicken, ravioli. Essentially a transcon PS menu
-standard domestic F tray setting and salad portion size (not even the PS size salad)
-no appetizer
-no post-meal bottled water
-no midflight snacks available (was not expecting hot bites but we didn't event have chips/fruit available)
-pre arrival the only choice is a cheese plate, which is the SAME one offered as the dessert course, not the expanded one with the meats that's offered on some westbound TATL's
-pre-arrival tray had no dessert, bread, salad, anything. Was strictly the cheese plate.
-needless to say, I was starving by the time we finally got to our hotel in LIM

LIM-IAH 763
-no menus, only beef or chicken
-plated on a normal transcon plate, not the pre-plated casserole dishes
-no bottled water or midflight snacks available
-no pre-arrival service other than drinks and scones

Look, I get that these routes likely do not offer nearly the yield for UA that TATL's offer, however, why did they bother to "upgrade" these routes to Polaris when nothing has really changed minus the bedding and lounge access? The LIM-IAH I did not care as much about given the timing and duration of the flight, but to me EWR-LIM is totally unacceptable. It's the same stage length or longer than many TATL east coast flights and is completely during the day (lunch + dinner periods). Not that I was expecting two full meal services but at a minimum would expect a full lunch service, midflight snacks available, and the "normal" pre-arrival meal.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Flew CDG-SFO July 16. Breakfast and then a snack prior to landing. The extraordinary thing about the catering is that, no matter what choice you made for either meal, there was no greenery available to anyone on the flight (at least in Business). Not even one limp lettuce leaf. How UA can cater such unhealthy food beggars description.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by skycrab
While I'm glad they're finally serving decent champagne, it is still embarrassing that insufficient amounts are provided and/or selectively handed out.
I recall a time on UA900 where there were just 2 bottles of champagne for all of BF. GF wasn't even catered, because it was full of non-revs, so they gave one of the bottles to them, leaving just 6 glasses of champagne to be shared across all of business class.
The champagne truck probably tipped over and/or a warehouse had a climate control issue so they unloaded it to UA as it couldn’t be sold for full price. This largesse can’t last. How does whatever his name is - Doug Frost? - sleep with himself and continue to work for UA ?

I’m about to board a LOT flight ORD/WAW for 1/4 of what UA wants for a similar TATL flight and I know with 100% certainly that there will be a wine list and the decent wines listed will be on board. Same situation with TAP to LIS this fall. How can UA pretend to be in the game while having such low standards.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by milepig

The champagne truck probably tipped over and/or a warehouse had a climate control issue so they unloaded it to UA as it couldn’t be sold for full price. This largesse can’t last. How does whatever his name is - Doug Frost? - sleep with himself and continue to work for UA ?

I’m about to board a LOT flight ORD/WAW for 1/4 of what UA wants for a similar TATL flight and I know with 100% certainly that there will be a wine list and the decent wines listed will be on board. Same situation with TAP to LIS this fall. How can UA pretend to be in the game while having such low standards.
To be fair, on my last WAW-ORD flight, LOT ran out of champagne (Nicholas Feuillate) before the first meal was served. I wouldn’t set your expectations that high. Also, TAP didn’t even serve champagne (just some gross sparkling wine) on my LIS-EWE flight last month. Of all the airlines to pick to compare...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Flew CDG-SFO July 16. Breakfast and then a snack prior to landing. The extraordinary thing about the catering is that, no matter what choice you made for either meal, there was no greenery available to anyone on the flight (at least in Business). Not even one limp lettuce leaf. How UA can cater such unhealthy food beggars description.
I think you described it pretty good!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by milepig

..... How does whatever his name is - Doug Frost? - sleep with himself and continue to work for UA ?

My guess would be $
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DRC1985

To be fair, on my last WAW-ORD flight, LOT ran out of champagne (Nicholas Feuillate) before the first meal was served. I wouldn’t set your expectations that high. Also, TAP didn’t even serve champagne (just some gross sparkling wine) on my LIS-EWE flight last month. Of all the airlines to pick to compare...
That’s odd my response wasn’t sent. I get it but my point is that for 1/4 of the price LO had an actual list of decent wines that they’ll have on board. And the FAs will present them to you with the label facing you. With UA they just pour whatever in the galley. It could be, and likely is, 2 buck chuck. I’ll report back about this but on my experience on LO the champers supply has never run out, but meanwhile it often has on UA. Tap serves Portuguese wines and sparkling that can be great fun.

Meanwhile, UA can’t produce a list and stock the planes with it. The FAs know nothing, and current experience with the champers being an exception, most of it is awful. I’ll set my expectations down a notch and take LO or TAP for a fraction of the price while UA charges deluxe prices for a Walmart experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.