FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
While the UA J meals have seriously gone down in quality, i find them now about on par with LH J, which tend to have small portions and weird flavors (lots of pickled stuff).
Yes, LH meals have small portions. However, they are plated with forethought and served almost as efficiently as on OS, and I don't recall any "weird pickled flavors." I had decent steak outbound and excellent scallops and shrimp inbound my last trip, and best of all, there was none of the "may I have your second choice if your first isn't available" nonsense we get on UA. Wines were good and matched the menu. The only thing UA still does better is ice cream sundaes. Yum!
Santander likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by halls120
Yes, LH meals have small portions. However, they are plated with forethought and served almost as efficiently as on OS, and I don't recall any "weird pickled flavors." I had decent steak outbound and excellent scallops and shrimp inbound my last trip, and best of all, there was none of the "may I have your second choice if your first isn't available" nonsense we get on UA. Wines were good and matched the menu. The only thing UA still does better is ice cream sundaes. Yum!
I didn't used to "get" the UA ice cream sundaes and wanted something a bit more refined as dessert, but in recent years, I've definitely come around to the idea of simple comfort food on a plane. (same reason I love the grilled cheese and tomato soup) Plus, it's hard to mess up an ice cream sundae.
east_west likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
One comment on portion size. UA leads the pack in the race to offer ridiculously small portions. Appetizers with one shrimp. Yippeee. What a disgrace.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
One comment on portion size. UA leads the pack in the race to offer ridiculously small portions. Appetizers with one shrimp. Yippeee. What a disgrace.
On my flight earlier this week, I lucked out with 3 jumbo shrimps for the appetizer. Main course was a tiny sliver of fish. (Everyone was also served express style, which I found weird.)

Wines were barely drinkable, but champagne was very good - and certainly much better than the sparkling wine I was served on my last LH J flight. (Maybe UA is going through their Global First champagne reserves?)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
One olive, too.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
NRT-IAH 16 June 435 pm 772 (Polarisized) seat 11A

Rumors of the excellent tenderloin proved true! The garlic bread was great also - alas, no second come-through. Dessert featured a Japanese cake, which was a nice touch. Pre-arrival quiche was something new (although it looked like an old domestic F breakfast from a few years ago). Other than no second pass on the garlic bread, great crew - really enjoyed the flight, especially after a couple of hours in the still-excellent VIP (former GF) lounge.

Random question - did Kirby get his hands in the retrofits? Note the boring all gray "Polaris" wall instead of the fancy and more striking patterned blue on some other birds.

flaii, SteveHK, MatthewLAX and 1 others like this.

Last edited by st530; Jun 17, 2019 at 3:03 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by st530
Random question - did Kirby get his hands in the retrofits? Note the boring all gray "Polaris" wall instead of the fancy and more striking patterned blue on some other birds.
Correct. The accent walls have been 'enhanced' away on all future retrofits.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
Correct. The accent walls have been 'enhanced' away on all future retrofits.
That's a shame. Any reason given? Looks really cheap (which may be the answer).
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I love ex-NRT catering. What a great-looking meal st530.
EWR764, st530, SkiPremier and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Looks really cheap (which may be the answer).
Bingo.

My guess is the custom lighted panels cost thousands of dollars each, so ditching them for a generic Polaris placard was an easy way to save a few hundred grand across the entire retrofit program.

And yes... your meal looked excellent, even with the new catering guidelines. Attention to detail can make all the difference.
st530 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EWR764
Bingo.

My guess is the custom lighted panels cost thousands of dollars each, so ditching them for a generic Polaris placard was an easy way to save a few hundred grand across the entire retrofit program.
Interesting that they cheapened out on a such a relatively small $ amount, especially as it is more of a CapEx item.
Typically, they have been less concerned about cutting that type of spend.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Rumors of the excellent tenderloin proved true! The garlic bread was great also - alas, no second come-through. Dessert featured a Japanese cake, which was a nice touch. Pre-arrival quiche was something new (although it looked like an old domestic F breakfast from a few years ago). Other than no second pass on the garlic bread, great crew - really enjoyed the flight, especially after a couple of hours in the still-excellent VIP (former GF) lounge.

Nice! I haven't gotten any retrofits out of IAH yet!
st530 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So whats with the whole not plating in the galley thing? Has it been rolled back, randomly done on certain routes or for certain dishes? Correct me if I'm wrong but some of the mains look like they were plated in the galley and some look like it was all cooked together.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by seat38a
So whats with the whole not plating in the galley thing? Has it been rolled back, randomly done on certain routes or for certain dishes? Correct me if I'm wrong but some of the mains look like they were plated in the galley and some look like it was all cooked together.
Certain dishes have been changed to be shipped in casserole dishes for "all-in-one" cooking (it's most of them). This allowed them to cut an FA from most of the int'l aircraft.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seat38a
Appears there's still latitude for crews who actually care (NRT) to fine tune both cooking time (medium rare tenderloin) and plating/presentation. As opposed to the absolute minimum possible effort reflected in findark's LHR-EWR dorm food casserole pics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.