Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Effectively, the onboard catering and drinks are worse today than pre-Polaris rollout and pre merger period (both PMUA and PMCO).

Game changer for the worse......

Hardware and Lounges are improvements!
Totally agree. I now avoid all so-called "Polaris" onboard meals and eat before my flights, preferably in a Polaris Lounge, where available. In stark contrast to onboard catering the Lounge offerings vary from good to great.
narvik likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by JetAway
...the Lounge offerings vary from good to great.

...for now!

MatthewLAX likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: united
Totally agree. I now avoid all so-called "Polaris" onboard meals and eat before my flights, preferably in a Polaris Lounge, where available. In stark contrast to onboard catering the Lounge offerings vary from good to great.
It's much cheaper to deliver a luxury meal in a lounge than on a plane. I wouldn't be surprised if more airlines go in this direction.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
EZE-IAH 29 May 925 pm departure 772 seat 1D

Exact same menu as I posted in #515 above. Went with the pre-plated tenderloin. Hard, chewy and gray. Not good. Champagne was Lanson 1760 Black label brut. Tasty. Had the ubiquitous Colby red with the steak (didn't help). Desserts ruled. I liked the frittata too. Good crew.

onthesam and narvik like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Agreed on overnight TATLs ex-EWR (also more time to sleep) or even ex-ORD, but we don't have that luxury on westbound TATLs and other long-hauls. And still no Polaris Lounge at IAD.
wrp96 and Artpen100 like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
CDG-EWR

This is true for when departing from somewhere with a Polaris lounge. But when flying from an outstation, they really need to up their game, as the Polaris lounge experience isn't available, and the food at the non-Polaris lounges isn't that good. Flew CDG-EWR this week. The Star Alliance lounge food is mediocre. Onboard the food was dreadful once again, with service to match (at least United is consistent with regards to the onboard soft product - crappy food and crappy service). First choice was the Chicken, second choice was the Pasta, my third choice was the beef. So of course I ended up with the fish.

Didn't take any pictures of the food, because why bother - the presentation was not that great and the photo won't do justice to how bad it tasted.
benewr likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
macaroni and cheese pie. so many unanswered questions as to how that ended up on the menu....
onthesam likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
macaroni and cheese pie. so many unanswered questions as to how that ended up on the menu....
Did this replace the equally puzzling pizza option?
Old May 30, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Did this replace the equally puzzling pizza option?
When the went to take the orders for the second meal they described the choices as a “hamburger like thing” and a pizza, so I think it wasn’t loaded.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The hamburger Wellington is okay, as is the mac and cheese, though I wouldn't rave about either one. For entrees, I confess I rarely order the fish as it is often - not always, but often - awful tasting. With the short rib, you know exactly what you are getting. Zero variation. Having recently had my first Polaris lounge experience (EWR), I, too, would prefer to eat in one of those and just go to sleep on the flight. That is what I also do on BA, where their lounges have dining, like IAD, though for the earlier flight, I might have the cheese course and port onboard before turning in.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
June 3 PEK-ORD

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 4, 2019 at 8:06 am
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Good Lord! Every single entree on PEK-ORD has mushrooms in it. I hate mushrooms! I would have complained to 1K Voice had I been on that flight! I think that there is a reasonable expectation level that there will be at least 2 mushroom-free options.
bluedemon211 and IAH2MEL like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 4, 2019 at 2:40 pm Reason: Removed meal photos duplicated from post above
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by SS255
Good Lord! Every single entree on PEK-ORD has mushrooms in it. I hate mushrooms! I would have complained to 1K Voice had I been on that flight! I think that there is a reasonable expectation level that there will be at least 2 mushroom-free options.
+100. My issue is I am allergic to mushrooms! That makes some of these menus really tough to navigate.
SS255 and jonisflying like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
+100. My issue is I am allergic to mushrooms! That makes some of these menus really tough to navigate.
If you are allergic to mushrooms, you should order a special meal - especially flying out of China where there is a love of mushrooms
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
No kidding, the DW has the same issue with Bell Peppers. So many dishes have them, so she often ends up with anything that doesn't.
JHunter likes this.

Last edited by drowelf; Jun 4, 2019 at 2:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.