Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old May 27, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by halls120
Then why don’t they just go back to not printing the kind of wines they intend to serve, like they did at one point recently? All they are doing is embarrassing themselves.
I had four Polaris Business flights this year (in March and May). On two of those there were no wine menus.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I had four Polaris Business flights this year (in March and May). On two of those there were no wine menus.
There you go - saves a few pennies of printing costs!
Old May 27, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were those both the to-US flights?
Old May 27, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
Were those both the to-US flights?
Now that you mention it. Yes, it was FRA-ORD and PVG-ORD. I had to go check the folder where I collect all the Business dining menus.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that you mention it. Yes, it was FRA-ORD and PVG-ORD. I had to go check the folder where I collect all the Business dining menus.
Fits my experience too. Not sure what is going on.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I'm probably 12+/12+ on wine menus this and last year and 0/0 on wine selection actually matching menus.
jasonp622 likes this.

Last edited by onthesam; May 27, 2019 at 9:32 am
Old May 27, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by onthesam
I'm probably 12+/12+ on wine menus this and last year and 0/0 on wine selection actually matching menus.
For the first six months of Polaris, I thought UA had really hit a home run with the new soft product. Then reality set in, and it slowly got worse than what it had replaced.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill
No food pictures, only menus.

Main meal choices

Arrival meal choices

Wine choices.

I had the short rib, which was very good. Service was very good if a little rushed. Champagne was Lanson, but I couldn't see if it was vintage or not. I asked what reds were available (for the beef), and was told a Malbec, the Colby Red Blend and a cab. I asked for the cab, have no idea what it was other than a total fruit bomb.

I slept the rest of the flight so no idea what the snacks were or how he arrival dishes were.
Had the same main meal options on my EWR-HKG a few days ago. Went with short rib and boy was it over cooked, even by airplane standards. Garlic bread was soggy and odd tasting.

I asked about mid flight snacks about half way into the flight and my FA said "umm chips?" They also had left over desert and cheese from main meal as option, but that's it. Found that odd on a 15.5 hour flight.

Breakfast was same as your menu plus an additional option, I think congee. I went with the fruit platter which was okay.

This was my first Polaris hard product flight and I really enjoyed the seat and IFE. Also Polaris burger at the lounge in EWR was really good. Otherwise very sad experience on my first UA business class flight in ~2 years. By comparison my 2.5 hour connecting flight on TG had a very good Thai pork curry meal. Also my 80 minute PG flight in Y next day had a pretty good meal, cold smoked chicken sandwich, that I would have gladly taken over the UA main meal.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
UA 924 IAD-LHR
10:15PM May, 2019

Apps:
Thai-style lemon grass shrimp, papaya mango salad
Cabbage Salad

Entree Choices:
-Short Rib
-Spicy Thai Chicken
-Seared Cape Hake Fish Fillet
-Ricotta Salsata and Wild Honey Manicotti

I went with the fish and requested and received express service. I asked for entree only but received my entree along with some kind of cabbage salad with shrimp in it. It was not bad (the salad). The fish had no flavor. I skipped the sundae and went straight to bed. Also skipped arrival meal.

Express service tray.

Cabbage salad with shrimp on top. Photo a little out of focus.

The fish has no flavor. Seared Cape Hake Fish Fillet - Buerre blanc, lemon risotto, baby buk choy, green beans with bell pepper and onion. Photo a little out of focus.

UA 959 LHR-ORD
2:50PM May, 2019

Apps:
-Chicken, pork and apricot terrine, sweet onion marmalade, peppers, chives
-Mixed greens, tomato, mango salad

Entree Choices:
-Short Rib
-Mediterranean-Style Chicken
-Roasted Halibut
-Carrot Manicotti

Went with the fish again, served with lobster sauce, whole-grain mustard mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans, and leaks with lemon. This time did the full service including dessert which for me consisted of the CWC sundae (chocolate, whipped cream and cherry), several of the finger snack sandwiches and a cup of tea. Arrival meal options were awful. I went with the Macaroni and cheese pie. +1 went with the 'hamburger' wellington. Both options are AWFUL and should must be eliminated from catering distribution immediately. The macaroni and cheese pie is of no nutritional value and doesn't taste good.

Appetizer +salad presentation. Note the 2 pieces of g-bread!

This terrine was delicious!

Horrible horrible horrible thing.
narvik and jonisflying like this.

Last edited by onthesam; May 28, 2019 at 4:06 pm
Old May 28, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 1kBill
No food pictures, only menus.

Main meal choices

Arrival meal choices

I slept the rest of the flight so no idea what the snacks were or how he arrival dishes were.
I'll be a very happy camper if this menu shows up on SFO-AMS next week. Spicy Chicken and Southwestern Omelette is the ultimate airline food combo (in UA, in business class).
Old May 28, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Awesome breakfast option on TPE-SFO: Congee (rice porridge) with chicken and mushrooms is savory and filling. Could use a bit more soy sauce but overall a very satisfying meal.

Old May 28, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
dream main meals: indian at night, congee in morning.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by halls120

For the first six months of Polaris, I thought UA had really hit a home run with the new soft product. Then reality set in, and it slowly got worse than what it had replaced.
Even with a canceled flight resulting in leaving the next day I still feel lucky I got to see the first weekend rollout of Polaris (NRT-ORD). It’s seems like a long time ago. Wine flights, great food, good mid-flight snack, full staffing, even a polar bear! The last steak I had (PVG-ORD) was...bad

To be fair that was soft product only and I have since experienced the hard product which is an improvement.
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Effectively, the onboard catering and drinks are worse today than pre-Polaris rollout and pre merger period (both PMUA and PMCO).

Game changer for the worse......

Hardware and Lounges are improvements!
Old May 28, 2019, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888
But since I value seat more than food, I can live with the mediocre UA food on-board and eat in the Polaris lounge instead.
PL=great option US-outbound; ^
not available from many cities US-inbound.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Out of curiosity, has anyone heard this mentioned as a problem for Delta or AA? Might be more comparable operations.
Was thinking/wondering the same!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.