Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by EWR764
I thought they'd just be using the domestic plates, but for Polaris the casserole is larger and deeper, so portion sizes aren't much different. It's still a downgrade in terms of presentation, but not the end of the world.
Really? Judging by the photos, the casserole plates now used in J looks exactly the same as domestic F.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Really? Judging by the photos, the casserole plates now used in J looks exactly the same as domestic F.
I know they look the same, but they are actually bigger, as EWR764 said.
EWR764 and narvik like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
It's the same plate as domestic for the 2nd service (as before) but I would say the casserole for the main Polaris service has about 2x the volume of the domestic version.

The presentation is sloppy, and sauces/juices/sides all sort of coalesce in the plate, but I don't think there's been a material cut to portion size.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Did SFO-FRA on 777-300ER, even without staffing reduction, service was incredibly rushed and frantic as I’ve noticed recently on all my INTL flights.
Flew a 772 w/ new Polaris seats last week and service was drawn out w/ FA's rushing. Yesterday, on a 788, service seemed normal paced and unrushed. I think I'll take an old 788 in 4DE over new Polaris seat and service anytime. There's more privacy in new Polaris seats, but it does seem tighter / smaller footwells and the FA/passenger ration is a lot lower. The walls in the new Polaris seats make it a little more difficult for FAs to observe how one's doing or lacking something. They also had to spend a bit more time looking up at seat # to figure what went where with staggered layout.
BlueSky72 likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 18, 2019 at 12:13 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Continental
Let me clarify about the picture. It was taken on the HKG-SFO flight in January.
The mystery meat once again appeared on a flat plate on my SFO-EWR flight on Tuesday 4/16.
I was so revolted by it I couldn't even take a picture this time...just set it aside and waited for the chicken.
I should have taken a picture of the inside of the "meat"...it is truly disgusting.
st530 and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Did SFO-FRA on 777-300ER, even without staffing reduction, service was incredibly rushed and frantic as I’ve noticed recently on all my INTL flights.

Meals were pretty terrible across the board, Ginseng chicken was the best bet on the menu but not as good as the chicken noodle preparation as described by another poster above. Companion had beef short rib and it was inedible. Overall presentation of food is pathetic for long haul premium cabin.

Bubby was Laurent Perrier which was about the only highlight of the flight.

Flight attendant demeanor, professionalism etc was all completely unacceptable. I ALWAYS feel like I am walking on egg shells with most INTL crew, this one was exceptionally bad. It was clearly an imposition to even ask for water.

We all need to continue to write in about poor food quality, presentation and of course bad service.
Had the same experience LAX-SFO this week except, rather than rushed, the service was ludicrously slow. Hot towels 50 minutes after takeoff (not pushback), drinks 1hr 5 minutes and elements of the service were continuing when I put ear plugs in and eye mask on 2hrs 30 minutes after take-off

By contrast, I woke 1hr 5 minutes before expected landing and breakfast was completely cleared away and even coffee / oj was no longer available. It was smooth, no seat belt signs and a good half an hour before we started our descent.

The only thing which was done with any enthusiasm was the endless chatty announcements - wholly unprofessional and out of place.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
The presentation is sloppy, and sauces/juices/sides all sort of coalesce in the plate....
Although likely an accurate description, this just sounds absolutely awful.
Someone should send this description to Oscar and ask for his comment & justification!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by lhrsfo

Had the same experience LAX-SFO this week except, rather than rushed, the service was ludicrously slow. Hot towels 50 minutes after takeoff (not pushback), drinks 1hr 5 minutes and elements of the service were continuing when I put ear plugs in and eye mask on 2hrs 30 minutes after take-off

By contrast, I woke 1hr 5 minutes before expected landing and breakfast was completely cleared away and even coffee / oj was no longer available. It was smooth, no seat belt signs and a good half an hour before we started our descent.

The only thing which was done with any enthusiasm was the endless chatty announcements - wholly unprofessional and out of place.
That LAX-SFO flight must have taken a long detour!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Had the Japanese meal on IAH-NRT Wednesday, was very pleased and highly recommend.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Had the Japanese meal on IAH-NRT Wednesday, was very pleased and highly recommend.
Pics?

Menu descriptions?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by narvik
Although likely an accurate description, this just sounds absolutely awful.
Someone should send this description to Oscar and ask for his comment & justification!
Maybe so, but it's an issue with any sort of pre-plated meals where all items are heated at once... not "uniquely United" but it's a problem they created in moving away from galley-plated meals.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:28 am

I had the poached cod on my FRA-EWR flight a couple of days ago. Everything on the plate was overcooked. This was not the case pre-Polaris, when fish dishes could be quite good. I picked at the meal, and decided to skip all else in favour of visiting the Polaris Lounge upon my arrival in EWR. In the lounge, I had the salmon, which was absolutely delicious. I can't wait for the PL to open in IAD.

Cod in Polaris cabin:

Cod in Polaris Cabin

Salmon in Polaris Lounge:

Salmon in Polaris Lounge
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Wow! .. that cod dish just looks ... sad. I just don't get how the people running UA premium cabin dining can be OK with this. If I were them, I would just quit and go work somewhere else.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Flew a 772 w/ new Polaris seats last week and service was drawn out w/ FA's rushing. Yesterday, on a 788, service seemed normal paced and unrushed. I think I'll take an old 788 in 4DE over new Polaris seat and service anytime. There's more privacy in new Polaris seats, but it does seem tighter / smaller footwells and the FA/passenger ration is a lot lower. The walls in the new Polaris seats make it a little more difficult for FAs to observe how one's doing or lacking something. They also had to spend a bit more time looking up at seat # to figure what went where with staggered layout.
Couldn’t agree more on the density issue with the new Polaris product. Having more seats means diminished service quality- the FA’s can’t see when you need anything. This explains the lack of refills on any beverages. Getting water in the new Polaris is like standing by for a CPU SFO-IAD. . . GOOD LUCK. Also very difficult to find anywhere to stand in the aisles as it’s very very tight. The FA’s will make sure to tell you that you’re in the way, as was the case on my last flight.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wco81
Pics?

Menu descriptions?
When I get better technology

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.