Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Yes, welcome to FlyerTalk.

Did you eventually get a menu? I notice that sometimes a different FA is taking meal orders and another FA distributes pre-departure drinks. Of course there is no rush in taking meal orders.
Never got a menu! Was just hoping the chicken was going to be the thai curry or spicy chicken as it has been on other recent Polaris flights. Unfortunately, it ended up being a chicken breast with what seemed like Tostitos salsa on it and rice. Really unpleasant. Of course, not giving me a menu ended up being a source of delay for them, as I had to ask which wines they were serving, what the pre-arrival snack options were (again, "chicken, some sort of beef stew, or cheese"), etc.

Thanks for the welcome @restlessinRNO and @MatthewLAX !
MatthewLAX and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 950 IAD-BRU, 2/22/18
777-200

This was my first experience with the pared-down service, and it was Not Good. The two FAs working my aisle were on their feet nonstop for the first three hours, constantly running one plate or another to one passenger, but that left little time for drink service. As a result, not only my wine glass but my water glass went dry for a while. This was easily the worst soft product I've seen upfront on UA internationally since the advent of Polaris, and maybe ever.

The salmon was the one new item I didn't recognize from earlier flights. It also seemed lighter than the alternatives, an important consideration when I'd eaten at the LH lounge as if my upgrade wasn't going to clear.

Nuts were lukewarm by the time they got to me 53 minutes after our 6:07 p.m. takeoff, which would have been subpar even if I hadn't been watching Crazy Rich Asians and all of its over-the-top travel details. I wonder how longer the people in 15A and 15L had to wait for this.

The appetizer and salad were pretty good, but they also didn't reach me until 7:25 p.m.

Dinner at 7:54 p.m. The green tea soba noodles were a creative touch, but the salmon didn't taste particularly fresh. I got a sundae for dessert at 8:28 p.m., and I couldn't help wishing I could still get a brandy to go with that.

I was planning on skipping breakfast even when I thought my upgrade didn't clear, and I stuck to that plan. So I did at least get the maximum sleep value out of the seat... and then jet lag had me awake from 3:30 to 5:30 a.m. three nights later anyway.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bdw1120
Weight? Also I don’t know if they need to throw away bottles that are already opened? But agree this kind of cost cutting is penny wise pound foolish
It’s the throwing away of the half-used wines ... if they have four carts in the aisle and each opens all six bottles, then refill bottles, then there is waste. Instructing the FAs to only open bottles when needed / requested makes sense.

The wine is roundtrip catered now, so the liquor carts are used in both directions. That’s why there are often spartan selections / outages on the return sectors - the “coastal vines” $4 sparkling wine as the champagne, etc. Apparently they’ve calculated it is cheaper to fly with the extra weight, rather than use liquor services of international catering providers.
bdw1120 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by greenpau
Apparently they’ve calculated it is cheaper to fly with the extra weight, rather than use liquor services of international catering providers.

Maybe United will soon realize that 3-liter bag-in-a-box wine is even lighter, cheaper and environmentally friendlier...
jasonp622, MrGood and ATLintheair like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
Maybe United will soon realize that 3-liter bag-in-a-box wine is even lighter, cheaper and environmentally friendlier...
Though probable a joke, this is not a bad option. I am by no means a wine connoisseur, but I have had a few decent boxed varietals from Bota Box.

Also - (might have been covered) why doesn't UA implement a book-the-cook? Surely this would reduce waste and allow pax to get their first choice...
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Meola10
There is a ton of waste especially on the short overnight transatlantic flights. Last time I flew I had dinner and the cheese and then fell asleep. Sometime later I woke up to use the lav and walked past a cart with 15 or ice cream cups on it. I asked the FA if I could have one and she offered to build one with whatever toppings I wanted and deliver it to my seat while I used the lav.
That was great of the FA but I feel these days like I have to ask to get anything, particularly if I happen to be napping when they finally come by. Time was when FAs would note (at least with First/Business class passengers and high level elites) when they missed someone and come back around to ask. It appears to me a number of the FAs are demoralized and/or handcuffed by the bean-counters who don't have to experience the results of their "optimizations".
EWR764, MrGood and ATLintheair like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:31 am

I will, but at this time they seem very committed to the path and happy with themselves - the last response (of quite a few) received was actually long and detailed - platitudes about investing in the hard product and “optimizing” catering operations after months of “careful” study; deciding that passengers are expected to drink two glasses of wine each and “don’t mind” when selections are not available. Then they couple the response with an ETC. They are basically trimming opex wherever they can to hit investor numbers, and investing only in capex (new AC, seats, lounges, app). It’s quite disorganized — the compensation they issue per passenger can easily provision an entire cart of additional wine at trade and duty free prices, for example. I don’t want an ETC or miles when something isn’t right, just a decent onboard product.
I wonder what the investor response would be if they heard the rationale they gave you above. While investors want companies to hit the numbers, long-term investors want quality earnings - earnings that are sustainable. In this competitive market, United needs to have parity on both hard and soft product sides. In this case, they're clearly losing service parity with the staffing and catering cuts, which will lead to low quality/unsustainable earnings.

I doubt any investors or Jamie Baker will ask about it at the JPMorgan conference tomorrow, but I would really like to see some investor/analyst challenge them on their service/catering cuts in a public forum as being a cut too far. So when they try to justify it, by saying passengers don't mind if you're out of stock, they'll look out-of-touch.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...ice cream is now provisioned at 65% of the J cabin seat count...
During my CO days, I was flying IAH-NRT once and asked for an extra sundae if they had one leftover. For the next hour, the FAs made a game of seeing how many sundaes I could down. They ended up bringing me 5. I guess those days are gone...
kirkwoodj and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
During my CO days, I was flying IAH-NRT once and asked for an extra sundae if they had one leftover. For the next hour, the FAs made a game of seeing how many sundaes I could down. They ended up bringing me 5. I guess those days are gone...
I miss those times. CO published their menus on their site (& were almost always correct), you could select these cheese you wanted & they generally had an edible steak.
EWR764 and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
That was great of the FA but I feel these days like I have to ask to get anything, particularly if I happen to be napping when they finally come by. Time was when FAs would note (at least with First/Business class passengers and high level elites) when they missed someone and come back around to ask. It appears to me a number of the FAs are demoralized and/or handcuffed by the bean-counters who don't have to experience the results of their "optimizations".
With the demise of the dedicated international bases the dedication to good service up front and pride in it has gone down as well. Many now working Polaris were put there,they do t understand it well or don’t want to put in the effort anymore than in Coach. Not true for all, of course, but it’s a big issue, precisely as was predicted by many at UA when this new base system kicked in. (International bases were a vestige of CO which worked well.)
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
UA 101 IAH/SYD on 27 March: 2008 Vintage Piper Heidsieck Champers--excellent! Where did that come from? FA was surprised as well. Is this likely a one-off (clearing out inventory) or something we might be able to look forward to?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
UA 101 IAH/SYD on 27 March: 2008 Vintage Piper Heidsieck Champers--excellent! Where did that come from? FA was surprised as well. Is this likely a one-off (clearing out inventory) or something we might be able to look forward to?
I'm more impressed with your time-traveling abilities.

My guess is a one-off - isn't that what they serve in the IAH Polaris lounge?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by st530

I have not seen Piper-Heidsieck on TPAC routes. But I'm at the SFO Polaris Lounge now, enjoying a said glass. Possibly two, as UA sadly seems to run out of the bubbles on their long Pacific flights.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That was also the era of Haagen-Dazs and Dave’s out of HNL and GUM ...

The details given to FAs on this tighter provisioning were that the sundaes are the single biggest catering cost item. Given the packing requirements, I can see this, but still.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by st530

IME I have only seen the Non-Vintage Pieper in the Polaris lounges. Anyone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.