FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

You’re saying they were out of ice cream and cheese when they reached your row?
Yes, both. Sparse remainders of the “sweet treats” only. I was in 7E in the B Zone. Spoke to the crew after service was done, and the Galley FA unloaded her embarrassment / frustration.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I booked my HKG-SFO-PDX flights eight months ago so I was unaware of these cuts coming. Now, my flight is in two weeks and after reading this thread I'm kicking myself for passing up the EVA option, even though that meant leaving my hotel @o-dark thirty to catch the first leg to TPE (the later flights weren't available at the time). Looks like I'm adding EF alerts and hoping any of the west coast flights open up - looks like maybe five days prior to departure EVA releases seats.

I walked away from UA 11 years ago as a 1K and never stepped foot onboard any of their planes since. The Polaris hype - the "real Polaris" on the 77W - actually had me thinking they were coming back. I'm really disappointed by this development. I can pack my own pjs (see the Polaris Pajamas thread) but inedible food is too far.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by greenpau
Yes, both. Sparse remainders of the “sweet treats” only.
I take it you will report this to GS?
EWR764 and MrGood like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I booked my HKG-SFO-PDX flights eight months ago so I was unaware of these cuts coming. Now, my flight is in two weeks and after reading this thread I'm kicking myself for passing up the EVA option, even though that meant leaving my hotel @o-dark thirty to catch the first leg to TPE (the later flights weren't available at the time). Looks like I'm adding EF alerts and hoping any of the west coast flights open up - looks like maybe five days prior to departure EVA releases seats.

I walked away from UA 11 years ago as a 1K and never stepped foot onboard any of their planes since. The Polaris hype - the "real Polaris" on the 77W - actually had me thinking they were coming back. I'm really disappointed by this development. I can pack my own pjs (see the Polaris Pajamas thread) but inedible food is too far.
Eva J is incredible. If on an award ticket — and not paid ticket where you want to accrues MM benefits — I’d certainly go with Eva.

The Veuve La Grande Dame alone is worth it
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
Eva J is incredible.
Eva has a nice product. I personally don't think the food is very good, nor do I like the TPE transit (at least not compared to Hong Kong). But the soft product is certainly better than UA's. Just based on FA staffing alone. And they also don't skimp on the food service, with ample mid-flight options. You won't get the feeling that everything has been cut to the bone.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
I take it you will report this to GS?
I will, but at this time they seem very committed to the path and happy with themselves - the last response (of quite a few) received was actually long and detailed - platitudes about investing in the hard product and “optimizing” catering operations after months of “careful” study; deciding that passengers are expected to drink two glasses of wine each and “don’t mind” when selections are not available. Then they couple the response with an ETC. They are basically trimming opex wherever they can to hit investor numbers, and investing only in capex (new AC, seats, lounges, app). It’s quite disorganized — the compensation they issue per passenger can easily provision an entire cart of additional wine at trade and duty free prices, for example. I don’t want an ETC or miles when something isn’t right, just a decent onboard product.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:54 pm

They are basically trimming opex wherever they can to hit investor numbers, and investing only in capex (new AC, seats, lounges, app). It’s quite disorganized — the compensation they issue per passenger can easily provision an entire cart of additional wine at trade and duty free prices, for example. I don’t want an ETC or miles when something isn’t right, just a decent onboard product.
I suspect that handing out ETCs and/or miles offers accounting advantages. They may not even have any direct impact on income. And with the analysts so focused on costs, I can see why this would be UA's preferred approach. Of course, from a passenger perspective, it sucks.
I don’t want an ETC or miles when something isn’t right, just a decent onboard product.
Agree. I'd much rather have an experience that doesn't warrant a complaint.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

The elimination of the 788 mid-galley position is less noticeable with 36 J seats, but with the 789 at 48 J seats and the 772 with 50 plus all the crew meals, it is really strained. The 77W still has kept the mid-galley position, so each Galley takes 30 pax, a better ratio. The 789 has become really challenging for FAs to work ... it is bare bones, production-line service. The high-density 767 about to be launched will be the same production-style approach.

The other thing thats just been implemented March 1st is a cutback in provisioning of ice cream and cheese plates - ice cream is now provisioned at 65% of
the J cabin seat count, and cheese at 33%. Apparently we, the passengers, are “consuming less”, so they are “eliminating waste”. In other words, the quality was cut, and we couldn’t force it all down. In the B zone of the 789 last night, this meant neither of the two were available in my row. Adding this to trimmed / roundtrip wine provisioning, and it’s pretty sad.
Unacceptable! That means dessert would be stocked for 98% of the cabin, not 100%/extra (for spillage, etc).

*headpalm* what. is. wrong. with. this. airline?
EWR764 and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Unacceptable! That means dessert would be stocked for 98% of the cabin, not 100%/extra (for spillage, etc).
... that's assuming each passenger chooses only one of the ice cream or the cheese - I'm sure that some will choose both, especially considering the reduced size of the entrees.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
“optimizing” catering operations after months of “careful” study
I'll make an educated guess that this study involved how far they can cut things before passengers really start screaming, rather than an attempt to just cut waste.
cesco.g, EWR764, BlueSky72 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
The other thing thats just been implemented March 1st is a cutback in provisioning of ice cream and cheese plates - ice cream is now provisioned at 65% of
the J cabin seat count, and cheese at 33%. Apparently we, the passengers, are “consuming less”, so they are “eliminating waste”. In other words, the quality was cut, and we couldn’t force it all down. In the B zone of the 789 last night, this meant neither of the two were available in my row. Adding this to trimmed / roundtrip wine provisioning, and it’s pretty sad.
Does this mean I can forget about being offered ice ream and a cheese plate!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369

*headpalm* what. is. wrong. with. this. airline?
I’ll often skip the ice cream but this method of cut with no deployment of some of the savings into other parts of the onboard service is asking for trouble.
EWR764 and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:17 am

There is a ton of waste especially on the short overnight transatlantic flights. Last time I flew I had dinner and the cheese and then fell asleep. Sometime later I woke up to use the lav and walked past a cart with 15 or ice cream cups on it. I asked the FA if I could have one and she offered to build one with whatever toppings I wanted and deliver it to my seat while I used the lav.

I’ll reiterate what I said earlier, I don’t care about selecting a specific meal ahead of time but if we can select whether we want a meal at all it would be great. That should help quite a but with waste.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:18 am

I will, but at this time they seem very committed to the path and happy with themselves - the last response (of quite a few) received was actually long and detailed - platitudes about investing in the hard product and “optimizing” catering operations after months of “careful” study; deciding that passengers are expected to drink two glasses of wine each and “don’t mind” when selections are not available. Then they couple the response with an ETC.
Wow, talk about delusional behavior.....

Originally Posted by Meola10
There is a ton of waste especially on the short overnight transatlantic flights. Last time I flew I had dinner and the cheese and then fell asleep. Sometime later I woke up to use the lav and walked past a cart with 15 or ice cream cups on it. I asked the FA if I could have one and she offered to build one with whatever toppings I wanted and deliver it to my seat while I used the lav.

I’ll reiterate what I said earlier, I don’t care about selecting a specific meal ahead of time but if we can select whether we want a meal at all it would be great. That should help quite a but with waste.
I get it with the concern about waste when you are talking about perishable items like Ice cream and prepared food. But wine? How is it wasteful to carry enough wine so that they don't run out? As long as a bottle isn't opened, it can be used on the next leg.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by halls120
Wow, talk about delusional behavior.....

I get it with the concern about waste when you are talking about perishable items like Ice cream and prepared food. But wine? How is it wasteful to carry enough wine so that they don't run out? As long as a bottle isn't opened, it can be used on the next leg.
Weight? Also I don’t know if they need to throw away bottles that are already opened? But agree this kind of cost cutting is penny wise pound foolish

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.