Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Coming off a couple TPAC flights this month and then reading this thread remind me of the old Woody Allen joke............“There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." I guess we should be thankful for the small portions
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by ual1960
I'm posting this from aboard my westbound TATL flight today. This is now the worst business-class catering I have ever encountered on United. Shameful. Prior to Feb 1, I often thought 'that was pretty good' after a meal, even as the relentless cutbacks were evident. Now I'm simply offended and feel that Oscar, Scott et all are laughing it up while we shell out for this garbage (and collecting their yearend bonuses based on exceeding cost-saving targets...)
One joy of the slow inflight wifi is checking the prices of the wines on offer. None of today's selections costs more than US$12 a bottle online.

UA couldn't even deliver the slices of smoked salmon on the menu today. Instead it was two slices of mozzarella and two slices of cardboard out-of-season tomatoes. Based on my own work in catering, I'd guess the unit price for this dish was +/- US$0.37.

Main was 'roasted halibut' which I'll call halibut flakes. There was exactly four bites on this pre-plated 'main'. I'll be charitable and say that the fish bone sticking out was there to give the flakes some authenticity.
That's worse than a domestic shorthaul meal - not fit for economy. Write it up...
MrGood likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I'm depressed. I don't travel for business, but for leisure. I have splurged on 4 Polaris segments in the next 4 months, and I don't even want to bother. What hideous food. Shame on UA.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Not defending the cutback in onboard catering, but I bet UA's cost of food provided to Polaris customers has actually increased when one totals inflight catering plus Polaris lounge food now that Polaris lounges exist at SFO/ORD/IAH/LAX/EWR. I'll guess I'll just expect to be provided less in-flight and eat a bit more in Polaris lounge pre-flight and post-flight.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 26, 2019 at 10:39 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I bet UA's cost of food provided to Polaris customers has actually increased when one totals inflight catering plus Polaris lounge food now that Polaris lounges exist at SFO/ORD/IAH/LAX/EWR.
And still considerably less than any premium airline.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
And still considerably less than any premium airline.
If one flies business class BR,NH or LH say from SFO, one is still entitled to use the Polaris Lounge on departure.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
If one flies business class BR,NH or LH say from SFO, one is still entitled to use the Polaris Lounge on departure.
Yes, I'll be there tomorrow prior to NH7

I'll add that food in SFO CX lounge absolutely blows away Polaris SFO food.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by ual1960

Main was 'roasted halibut' which I'll call halibut flakes. There was exactly four bites on this pre-plated 'main'. I'll be charitable and say that the fish bone sticking out was there to give the flakes some authenticity.
You told us that the white stuff was fish. I do recognize the rice. I think the green things in the upper left are zucchini. Perhaps. I also think I see some yellow squash hiding in the upper right corner.

But what on earth is the other stuff on either side of the fish?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:04 am

Just some DP's from two TPAC's in Feb:
EWR-HKG: Lanson Brut Black Label champagne
I chose the short ribs, which were unusually dry and stringy with seriously overcooked vegetables.

HKG-EWR: Alfred Gratier Brut
I chose a scallop and shrimp dish that I hadn't yet encountered. It was actually quite tasty, and the portion size decent. There were two or three medium sized scallops and two large shrimps. The scallops weren't overcooked, and had some nice sear marks. I usually seem to be happier with my Polaris seafood meals, so I think I'll continue selecting them until something new and exciting comes along.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: ual,aa
What J meals offerings recently SFO-CDG?

Travelling end of April out of SFO - won't have time to eat in the lounge - anyone travel this routing lately and if so - how were the on-flight meals? Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by letsgook
Travelling end of April out of SFO - won't have time to eat in the lounge - anyone travel this routing lately and if so - how were the on-flight meals? Thanks!
It will be the same choices/sizes/quality as any UA TATL to Europe. The quality isn't going to get better just because you're going to France. As noted in numerous posts above, the serving sizes seem to be getting smaller.

My question is - is your connection too short to even grab a bite from the buffet? That might suggest you are booking a risky connection, even though it might meet UA's MCT of 1 hour(?) domestic to int'l at SFO.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 28, 2019 at 12:53 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
These pre-plated main courses are disgusting. A disgrace. Memo to UA: seeing things like this only confirms my judgment always to fly other carriers on long hauls.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:32 pm

I'll concur that this is a major downgrade. On my SFO - Sydney RT two major things were worse as a result of this change.

1) Food was much worse - it's just not possible to cook everything at one time to one temperature and do things well. If I ignore plating, the meal was much closer to a good coach meal.

2) With the reduction of FA's (on a 789) FA's were literally speed walking from the front galley to the back during service. As I was sitting in row 1, this was annoying. If I were sitting in row 9, I imagine it took forever to be served. Additionally, basic service for everything was much slower - refills were sparse, trays were cleared slowly, etc.

This may be the tipping point for me to start spreading spend across a few airlines for better service.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by letsgook
My Jan 31 CDG-IAD flight had these four entrée choices:
1-) Braised Beef Short Rib with port wine sauce, mashed potatoes with olives, onions & carrots
2-) Grilled Chicken Breast with béarnaise sauce, brown rice, asparagus
3-) Poached Hake Fish Fillet with Chardonnay cream sauce, quinoa with vegetables, bell pepper, green beans & onion
4-) Cannoncino Manicotti, ricotta, tomato basil sauce, porcini mushrooms & tomato
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fisherman
...2) With the reduction of FA's (on a 789)..
Did they reduce the number of FAs on the 789s? I didn't think that was one of the types affected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.