Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by cricketer
Just a small nitpick -- that's the lemongrass chicken, which I had on FRA-SFO today. As your picture evidences, it too is being plated on board, and remains in the old style crockery. This means that there's really little change in the dining service for me, because this and the Thai chicken are what I'm always ordering anyway.
You are correct - thanks for the clarification.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Just to defend myself here, my United Polaris Dining: The Sad New State Of Affairs (blog) story got over 70K views. People do care...

Let's see if United maintains the status quo in hopes that our expectations just get dulled further.
I, for one, appreciate it and hope you keep pounding them for it. Even today, you have executives like Jon Roitman at industry/financial events touting the improved customer experience of the Polaris product, with specific reference to the soft product, which is a bit dissonant considering the drumbeat of negative changes and cutbacks since it rolled out. While nothing will change, I think it's important to establish the narrative that United is back to its shameless penny-pinching mode, which is decidedly against the premium image they are attempting to create.
narvik, ExplorerWannabe and MrGood like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
We need to all write in about these changes! The more we write in, the more likely they are to listen to feedback and make improvements.

United’s revenue based accrual system is killing their competition, and yet another reason UA can charge higher prices and attract loyalty. 75k redeemable miles on most intl biz tickets is much preferred to 15-20k on star alliance and other competitors.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:56 pm

It doesn’t appear that there are any meal changes at all. Just the way they are plated. I don’t mind at all having one less set of hands touching the food.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Meola10
It doesn’t appear that there are any meal changes at all. Just the way they are plated. I don’t mind at all having one less set of hands touching the food.
Maybe I misunderstood the changes: the difference is the way the meals are cooked. I thought that now the whole dish is cooked at the same time which means that some parts of it might get overcooked. Anyway, my next Polaris flights is one month away so then I'll figure for myself what the changes are all about.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Meola10
I have flown 5 Transpac Polaris flights this year, and I noticed the decrease in quality and quantity of meals from Jan to Feb, although meal choices are the same.Of course I understand the hub catering quality may not be the same across the international hub locations. I have done three IAD-PEK flights this year, and IMHO, it is a downgrade.I have also done long haul international business flights this year on Air China, South Africa Airways and Ethiopian Airlines, and UA meals ranked the last, IMHO.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Just to defend myself here, my United Polaris Dining: The Sad New State Of Affairs (blog) story got over 70K views. People do care...

Let's see if United maintains the status quo in hopes that our expectations just get dulled further.
No Need to defend yourself. I have found your blog fairly balanced and unbiased over the years. Thanks for raising UA's downgrade of meals publicly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2019 at 8:32 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Gotcha. Does it feel flimsy or sturdy?
Sturdy.

David
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:55 am

I fly for a living but am not a United employee. I just fly on them a lot to get to and from work. I’m on a layover in Asia at a hotel where United crews layover. Some common layover hotels have areas set aside for aircrew to hang out and I happened to hear a group of United flight attendants discussing the topic of this thread. I didn’t listen long, but I didn’t need to. They are professionals, and they are really frustrated with the state of Polaris service. They call the serving dishes “dog bowls”. They think the food looks disgusting. In short, the changes are having a very negative impact on their morale. That’s a real shame because for most passengers, the flight attendants are the face of an airline. When they aren’t happy, the culture of the entire airline, from a passenger perspective, takes a hit.
I also happen to fly on Emirates a lot. Usually in first class. The hard and soft product on Emirates is really hard to compete with. However, Emirates treats its flight crews poorly. They work long hours and have shorter layovers than most international airline crews. They are understaffed in the front and the back. And guess what... on a long flight with a less than full passenger load, it isn’t uncommon for flight attendents and passengers to chat. And after a bit of small talk, conversations turn to lifestyles and those trained professional aircrew let the veil down just a bit. When passengers start realizing the crews on their airplanes are tired, frustrated and looking for a new job, that hurts the bottom line of an airline. You start to see signs of it in little and large things during a flight. Tired employees get irritable. That’s human nature. And employees who aren’t proud of the service they are providing stop caring about it. Simply human nature, and an absolute killer for a service oriented business.
Frankly, I don’t expect gourmet food on an airplane. I actually think most of the discussions about food on this website are silly. If there isn’t an actual chef cooking fresh ingredients over an open flame, you’re basically getting an old fashioned TV dinner. So I don’t expect fine cousine. But even a TV dinner can be presented in such a way that it looks a little better than it tastes. And when the people serving it are embarrassed by what they are serving, the net effect matters more than the quality of the food. I get why United is exploring ways to improve their bottom line. I’m a die hard capitalist. But I also know that if your workers aren’t happy, you start losing customers. Happens everytime. And guess what United...I think you’ve crossed a line you’re going to regret crossing. Nobody at the frontlines of your business is happy with the changes. It’s very noticeable. And at some point, it’s going to start costing more than it saves.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Originally Posted by Rock214
Frankly, I don’t expect gourmet food on an airplane.
This. I am flying Polaris today and I have already purchased my packets of salad dressing to take on the plane. Why they can't offer a choice of salad dressings is just plain....frugal
kirkwoodj and MrGood like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
After reading this thread I fully expected to be treated like I was back in steerage on a u.s. transport plane during my stint in the Navy. Much to my surprise, flight number 29 from San Fran to Singapore was a great flight. Flight attendants were attentive, knew they had some obstacles to overcome with losing one of the mid-galley crew members, but handled it perfectly. Service took slightly longer than normal since I was sitting in the mini cabin in row 6. That said the food quality and quantity was undisturbed and the overall experience was what I experience prior to February 1. Bottom line, other than the two screaming children in the aisle adjacent to me, the 17-hour flight was just as I had experienced it the prior five years. So that covers both Polaris and pre Polaris. Again, maybe I just had a good crew but it was Much Ado About Nothing from my perspective. That's just one data to point, I still have to fly home!
narvik, BlueSky72 and findark like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by Rock214

Frankly, I don’t expect gourmet food on an airplane. I actually think most of the discussions about food on this website are silly. If there isn’t an actual chef cooking fresh ingredients over an open flame, you’re basically getting an old fashioned TV dinner. So I don’t expect fine cuisine. .
I understand your points on crews but what people do for a living is a choice.
On the main topic of food/service there are many people on this site who have flown long enough to know that you used to get close to gourmet food and choice for the top $ paid to be in the front of the plane and looked fowrard to what was being served, not fear it. Life was not always a tv dinner and they can do way better than they do today
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Much to my surprise, flight number 29 from San Fran to Singapore was a great flight. !
My last 2 trips SFO-SIN (Dec & Jan) were also great. My last return was 02/05 & I agree that the new serving plate is another downgrade.
My fish was good, but it really became a fish stew in that bowl instead of fish accompanied by vegetables.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
My last 2 trips SFO-SIN (Dec & Jan) were also great. My last return was 02/05 & I agree that the new serving plate is another downgrade.
My fish was good, but it really became a fish stew in that bowl instead of fish accompanied by vegetables.
Perhaps Cioppino will make a comeback on the Polaris menu? They should serve dishes that match their new plating capabilities.
AndyInSaigon and MrGood like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps Cioppino will make a comeback on the Polaris menu?...
CO served an amazing (restaurant-quality) one pre-merger. Probably my favorite in-flight meals ever.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
Nut dish is only half full all the time and I want my Filet back. Tired of the ribs.
Lot of food allergies so the beef without sauce is always safe.
jonisflying and MrGood like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.